The Ultimate Top 5 Under $30 Must-Buys List

Centropolis

Enlightened
I want to put together a list of top 5 must-buy flashlights that are under $50 for those who are maybe on this forum and starting out as a flashaholic (like myself). Of course, I need help from all of you CPFers to put this list together because I don't know enough myself.

Criteria to consider:

- under $30
- no mods (but "modability" should be considered)
- the overall useability, build quality, and brightness of course
- variety - let's try and make a list of lights that take a variety of batteries types instead of all of them that only take CR123A's.

I will maybe keep a record of which lights get the most mentioned and compile a list of them after a week or so.

I will give two suggestions based on what I've read here:

1) Romisen RC-G2 - takes one AA battery, widely available, very "modable", good throw and cheap $11

2) Ultrafire C3 Q5 with extension tube - takes one or two AAs or 1 14500, bright and cheap $21

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you don't mind a little weght, the SS Ultrafire C3 with holster or the other one by itself for $20 and change,

I like my B8 for $13 and change. As bright as my early Ultrafire C3 with better battery efficiency, and mine has been reliable.

[Edit: Check post #23 below for $13 Gerber Infinity + free Gerber knife closeout at eknifeworks - how to get free shipping]

Last edited:

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
ultrafire WF-500 xenon. 2x18650, wowser bright.

Task force 3W cree- good throw, can take 2 C cells but is much brighter on a 18650.

RC-G2 for loaner lights. AA's, so safe to give to non flashaholics, though NiMH needs to be used for decent performance (or lithium AA's). Also, no multi-modes to confuse.

An EDC; A KD buckle-light or this.

And finally, I'd say a fenix l2d... Yes, it's more than $30, but gives really nice medium range lighting and the multiple brightness levels make for an easily adaptable light.

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Civictor v.1. Still available for $27 @ Lighthound. Well made, easy one-hand operable twisty. Decent brightness (about 30 lumens) for about 2 1/2 hours on NiMH or L91. Small for a 1 x AA light. Solid and simple.

Burgess

Flashaholic
Gotta' have the very nice

TerraLUX LightStar3 LED TLF-3L2AA Luxeon Rebel flashlight.

Costs 30 bucks at Battery Junction. :thumbsup:

Draws 700 milliamps current.

Lasts 2 hours on Sanyo Eneloops.

I'm very happy and impressed with this "bargain-priced" beauty.

:twothumbs
_

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gotta' have the very nice

TerraLUX LightStar3 LED TLF-3L2AA Luxeon Rebel flashlight.

Costs 30 bucks at Battery Junction. :thumbsup:

Draws 700 milliamps current.

Lasts 2 hours on Sanyo Eneloops.

I'm very happy and impressed with this "bargain-priced" beauty.

:twothumbs
_

Do you have a part number for this light, or maybe a pic of the retail packaging? The reason I'm asking is because Kmart has a Rayovac 2AA light (looks identical to the one at Walmart) that uses a Rebel. I'm not sure if it is the new 3 watt Rebel that Batteryjunction sells, or the first edition 1 watt rebel one they had (which wasn't very bright IMO).

Back on topic, here is my list:

Taskforce 2C Cree
Rayovac 3C Cree
Energizer 2AAA Inspection Light

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gerber infinity 5mm 1 x AA that runs for 100 hrs. It's moddable so you can upgrade the 5mm to a brighter one and still keep the run time. $15.00

cv3po

Banned
For around $15 I've been really impressed with my Streamlight Microstream. My specimen is quite bright with excellent tint and superb tight beam with great spill. It's rated at 20 lumens for 1.5 hours and I think that is conservative. Mine is comperable in brightness to an LOD Q4 on medium and I get 2.5 hours of runtime. The light also has pretty solid regulation. I'd say that at the point of shutdown (and it does shutdown, no moon mode) it's still at 75%. I've heard reports of the switch (forward clicky) having issues but mine has been solid. Great light for the bucks!

Burgess

Flashaholic
to AdirondackDestroyer --

Well, the UPC number is 97058 00026

Copyright 2007, TerraLux, Made in China

Sez: 50 times brighter than standard LED

Nowhere does it actually mention the word "Rebel" or Lumiled, etc.

Sorry, that's all the information i can give you.

Wouldn't be a bit surprised if Wal-Mart or Kmart started selling 'em.

They really oughta' be widely available, to "walk-in" customers.

Not everybody is comfortable ordering over the "evil internet".

:devil:
_

fishx65

Enlightened
MTE 1aa P4 single and 5 mode (Durable, super smooth beam)
Rayovac 3c Cree(Very bright and can be run on rechargable AA)
Vector HID spotlight(was $19.99 at Sams)(Crazy bright!)

bessiebenny

Enlightened
Here's my list: Not in any particular order by the way.
(Taking into account the price and performance ratio)
(Most of them have been reviewed by me. Link in sig!)

1. Romisen RC-F4 (2xRCR) (Very nicely priced and bright EDC-sized flashlight.)
2. Romisen RC-G2 (1xAA) (Very cheap and good output. Great as a "nice and cheap" present)
3. Romisen R-1A01 (1xAAA) (Very small well-built AAA flashlight. Nice and bright. Collimator lens!)
4. Eastward YJ-XAQ5 (1x18650) (Speculation but seems it'll be quite good - I'll review it soon!)
5. Ultrafire C3 Stainless Steel (1xAA or 1x14500) (Excellent quality and great looks. Good regulation.)
6. Ultrafire 606A and Romisen RC-N3 (2xAA) (Excellent 2AA lights. Good build quality and quite bright.)

Last edited:

mrmike

Newly Enlightened
Kaidomain XJC B-8 $13.48

http://www.kaidomain.com/WEBUI/ProductDetail.aspx?TranID=4103

I just got one a few days ago and it's an absolutely fantastic light for the price. Nice finish, glass lens, aluminum reflector, it tailstands; and the clicky works perfectly. I find the switches on most flashlights to be just a bit too stiff; this one is just right. Oh yeah... it comes with a decent wrist lanyard too.

The only flaw with it; printed on the body is "Supet Bright" instead of "Super...", but for the price I couldn't care.