Stupid / incompetent destruction or loss

gary3911

Newly Enlightened
I am such an idiot.

After less than than a few hours ownership, I have thrown away the tailcap of an OpticsHQ Q5 upgrade kit.

I was playing around with various combinations, and after finding that the tailcap was too big to go into my regular 6P holster, I put it back in the blister packaging.

For some reason, I then stuck the whole lot in a box with some other stuff and later on binned the whole lot.

I didn't realise until it was too late.

In flashlight terms, what's the worst (best) thing you've lost / destroyed through dumbness?

Last edited:

nitesky

Newly Enlightened
The list could go on and on. But this is probably limited to flashlight-related items. That will take some thought.

gary3911

Newly Enlightened
** EDIT **

AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

It's much worse than that. I just looked inside my 6P, and the original P60L is in there.

Not only did I throw away the tailcap - I threw away the @*!!&-ing Q5 drop-in as well. The whole upgrade!

Patriot

Flashaholic
Oh man...that truly sucks!

I unknowingly tossed out an MN21 lamp assembly once with a bunch of packaging. That was annoying enough for me.

pezdragon

Newly Enlightened
I was givin as a gift a Surefire 6P back I think in the 80's..the original. It sat for 20 years untouched it its box. I sold it for $5 at a yard sale:mecry:
My thinking was the CR123's were too expensive and the runtime too short. I'd go broke on batts. I only found out later that they can be had for a buck online......

e2x2e

Enlightened
Lol about the car window. The only flashlight I actually destroyed was a Husky(Home Depot) brand 12 LED light, which I shot head-on with a soft air rifle. It was fun, seeing each LED go out as I hit it :)

lyrrag

Newly Enlightened
That' awful but at least you still have the 6p and if karma works something good will happen to you in return!

sawlight

Enlightened
And the owner is still trying to figure out what that strange noise is when he goes around corners :laughing:
Norm

Nope, he knows!! I told him and asked him to bring it back at his conveniance, but he never came back!

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Not only did I throw away the tailcap - I threw away the @*!!&-ing Q5 drop-in as well. The whole upgrade!

Buy the upgrade again.... Pretend none of this ever happened.

It was just a bad dream. :sleepy:

roguesw

Enlightened
Stupid moment #1 , just finished building my McLux Pr head with Lux V, saw some spot on the reflector, took a tissue and gently wiped it, ended up marking the delicate reflector, it was useless. Had to buy a new reflector

Stupid moment #2, building a McLux turnkey unit, had everything ready to go, all soldered up but emitter was not attached yet. I wanted to check if my wiring was ok, hooked up the battery supply to the convertor board, POOF
i had hooked it up minus the LED in place, open load , and blew the convertor board, had to wait 3 weeks for replacment

Stupid moment #3, upgrading my Lux V in the KL4 head. Put the KL4 head into the pot to boil, not working, and after 2 tries, got impatient and placed the head straight onto the hot plate, i was thinking, its aluminium, its fine
well, ended up overheating the head so much, the delicate reflector was delaminating from the head. Now my KL4 has 4 ugly bubbles the length of the reflector.

Stupid moment #4, Building tower module for KT-4 head, had the convertor board all wired up, tested, went to insert wire and tore all the wire off the board. Unfortunately, board was already potted with heat sink compound.
Had to remove all the heat sink compound, pot the convertor board through an alcohol bath, dry clean and air dust, then had to spend about 1 hour desoldering the broken wires.

Stupid moment #5, Removing KL4 head to upgrade emitter,used pliers without padding, cut right into the aluminium and had a huge gouge about 5 mm around the circumference of the head.

As you can see, we all have these moments lol
the thing is to not take it too seriously and keep on doing it
These moments become little stories, reminders of our hobby

I feel for your loss though,

Des

scaredofthedark

Enlightened
didn't strap down my U2 good enough on my bicycle helmet. and during the ride it fell off. ended up shattering the internals of the switch. but luckily SF replaced it no hassle

FILIPPO

Flashlight Enthusiast
oh man...
this things can happend as well...:oops:

One day I was recharging my mag85 (10,8V pack) everithing was ok...I finished the charge cicle and use the same charger to charge my 8,4V battery pack of my air soft rifle, but I forgot to set the charger on 8,4 instead of 10,8. i don't know what has happend from that time to my battery pack...:shakehead

gary3911

Newly Enlightened
I've decided not to replace the Q5 kit. I think it might be cursed. I'll get something completely different. I really only want an E1e and that'll do me until the UB2 comes out.

Reading the posts back, I was reminded of a time not long ago when during a system installation, I re-laid a carpet with one of my technician's L2D underneath it. We sort of stood up and saw this big dumb bulge in the middle and without saying anything just took the whole damn thing up again. Didn't lose the light though, so it doesn't really count.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
seems like a very good conitnuation of the "things ive learnt the hard way" thread..:D

i burnt a small whole into my dining table with a soldering iron...does that count? i was working on a light....:ohgeez:

Crenshaw