Magnets kill diesel bugs

Status
Not open for further replies.

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
My crap-o-meter registered really high for this one. http://www.nz4wd.co.nz/afa.asp?idWebPage=13579&idAdrenalin_Articles=650&SID=742559176

The idea is that three statically mounted permanent magnets act on single cell bacteria using maximum magnetic flux from several different angles at once, producing 24 changes in polarity of the magnetic field, which kills bugs so they will be destroyed in the combustion. The implication is they won't be destroyed if they are still alive. Even without any infection, engine performance will be improved.

Drumm describes the De-Bug L140 purifier, a static magnetic inline device, as a tested and proven way to protect engines against microbial contamination.
Micro-organisms are very vulnerable to magnetic waves.
The organisms are single-celled, with a membrane surrounding each cell, and electrically charged ions that travel across this membrane are essential for the organism's life.
"Exposing the microbes to a strong, changing magnetic field, such as in the De-Bug, will ensure maximum destruction of the cells," says Drumm.
"This magnetic field in the unit is made possible by stacking three annular shaped permanent magnets on top of each other to form the patented Tri-Mag stack."
When the fuel and microbes flow between the magnets and through the centre of the middle magnet in the Tri-Mag pack, the flow path causes the microbial cells to experience the maximum levels of magnetic flux density from several different angles. This results in 24 changes in polarity of the magnetic field.
"This kills them – the De-Bug has been proved to have a 97.5 percent efficiency in destroying the bugs in a single pass," he says.
The treated submicron particles then pass through the filter and burn up in the combustion process, helping reduce emissions.
Drumm says installing a De-Bug even in an apparently uncontaminated engine will result in immediate benefits.
These are improved fuel efficiency, reduced emissions, better protection of engine, filters, pumps and injectors, extended service life of filters, and a more reliable, efficient engine.

How come my cells don't all die when I stick DX supermagnets on either side of my hand?

Snake oil.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd like to see the patent application for their "Tri-Mag stack".

"We have invented this innovative new way of placing three magnets together, by placing them on top of each other. And we shall call it the Tri-Mag stack!"

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow. I only get through the second sentence and it actually bent the needle on my crap-o-meter! Now I'm afraid to read any further cause I can still straighten the needle, but if the pivot actually jumped out of the bearings, I'd be screwed....:eek:

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
It does give me an idea for a gt rich quick scheme.
Similar to the old and fully guarenteeeeed potato(e) bug killer.

A super magnetic fly killer.
Take one magnet.
Place honey on it.
Wait til a fly lands.
Get polarity right and move near first magnet.

The bug killer was two blocks of wood with similar instructions, except you had to put the bug on a block.
Sold as a novelty in the 50's I had a guy tell me that in the 30's they were sold mail order and scammed a lot of people.

craig333

Newly Enlightened
That gives me an idea. I think flashlights can do the same thing. I'm gonna make a mint. Off to the workshop. I could easily justify why it works as well as anything else :)

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a worry that it's an article, not just an advertisement.

I found their web site:
Q. How does it work?
A. De-Bug Fuel Treatment Units are static magnetic inline devices that create an optimum magnetic flux field density directly responsible for destruction of the cell membrane. Exposing the microbes to a strong, changing magnetic field will ensure maximum destruction of the cells. The debris stays randomly suspended in the fuel and due to their sub-micron size easily pass through engine components and burned with the fuel.
Q. Other systems use a single magnet and claim similar success. What makes your product using a three magnet stack different?
A. Put simply, the patented Tri-Mag stack through its design of strategically spaced magnets and spacers allows for the required turbulence and maximum exposure to a changing magnetic field necessary to kill these organisms. When the fuel and microbes flow between the magnets and through the centre of the middle magnet in the Tri-Mag™ pack, the flow path causes the microbial cells to experience the maximum levels of magnetic flux density from several different angles, and 24 changes in polarity of the magnetic field. This overwhelming attack from all directions, combined with the oscillating field strength can eliminate microbial contamination when used in a fuel system where fuel is re-circulated through the De-Bug unit either on a periodic or continuous basis.
Q. Where in the fuel line should I install my De-Bug unit?
A. The De-Bug Fuel Treatment Unit should be mounted as close as possible to the main fuel supply source (fuel tank) and in the fuel line after any strainer or water separator but before the primary filter. Full installation instructions are included with each unit.
Which means it does nothing to stop the bug breeding happily in the fuel tank - where the problem starts.

Last edited:

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well golly gee, no wonder my engine blew up! Bugs in the fuel!

I thought it was because I was shifting at 9000 RPM!

:crackup:

Ken_McE

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeh, the science is right. This is why I always use magnets to wash my hands after I work on small engines.:nana: Sometimes I swallow them too*, in case I have any magneto-parasites.

*Kids, do NOT do this at home!

Last edited:

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
..swallowing magnets can be lethal. Please edit your post.
+1 on that. Swallowing a second magnet is what kills you. The 2 magnets lock together inside you, trapping some layers of intestines between them and killing the tissue. There is at least one documented case of a kid dying that way.

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK. Nobody swallow a first or second magnet.
If you have a Motorola alphanumeric pager be sure to read the manual.
It warns not to eat the plastic battery cover.

ADDICTED2LITE

Newly Enlightened
So, if the bugs live in the fuel and eat the fuel, then what do they poop? FUEL... maybe its like a living fuel filter.

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, diesel bugs do actually exist. According to http://www.neptuneproducts.co.nz/shop/Articles/DIESEL+Fuel+bugs.html

DIESEL Fuel "bugs" are actually Cyanobacteria, which live in the diesel / water interface .. not to be confused with asphaltene chemical sludge compounds. Both can cause fuel filters to block.

Diesel fuel degrades with time, often forming insoluble (in diesel) asphaltene compounds through oxidation .. prevention is the best cure .. use fresh diesel fuel where possible .. which may mean often keeping fuel tanks "well less than full" in boats that are not used frequently. This can be a "catch-22" situation, as condensation (water) is more of a problem in partly full tanks, however ..

In our experience, the most likely diesel fuel "bugs" to plague boaties are bacteria, which can be prevented by specific fuel additives. You may wish to check out FTC, which removes small amounts of water (condensation) from diesel fuel, thus inhibiting the development of Cyanobacteria "bugs", which may otherwise multiply and block fuel filters.
So the whole idea of killing these bugs in the fuel line is off (even with something that actually has an affect), because it's not going to do anything about the bugs breeding in the tank, where the problem is. In this PDF of the snake oil article there's a photo of a filter blocked by the sludge created. A few little magnets aren't going to make that sludge go through that filter, and even if it did, how on earth could that cause a reduction in emissions? Perhaps the car makers would like to know about that one.

The author, Jenny Baker, got taken for a ride big-time on that one.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
What they need is some nanodiamonds in the fuel tank. When the bugs eat them it will cause them to slip right through the lines with no clogging issues.
:p

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like the microbial equivalent of prune juice. But the bugs breed on the fuel/air interface, not at the bottom of the tank where presumably any heavier-than-fuel particles would settle.

Status
Not open for further replies.