First Forum Knife - The Process

george tichbourne

KNIFEMAKER
I thought that a new thread would be in order at this point.

The forum knife to Nick's specs is finally priced out and ready for production.

The blade will be 3/16", 440C, cut from a 7 1/4" X 1 1/2" bar, heat treated to Rc 56-58 cryogenically treated, and bead blasted. Handle holes are 3/4" diameter with 1/4" pins and thong tube. Handle material is 1/4" Indigo Blue diamond wood pinned and epoxied in place. Sheath is a simple neck sheath made from black micarta.

Price will be $142 US ~ $142 CDN plus applicable taxes. Shipping extra, we ship Express Post because it's traceable.

Pricing is based on a minimum of 40 knives in order to keep costs down re handle material, logo engraving and steel. (set up charges and shipping costs increase with smaller volumes thereby raising the final price of the knife)

If someone like Schiez will volunteer to organize the numbering I would appreciate it.

When orders are placed I would appreciate them emailed to me directly and there will be a $50 deposit required. Please include your phone # because I will call you for credit card #s.

George Tichbourne
www.tichbourneknives.com
sales@tichbourneknives,com
905 670 0200

Sequential numbering will be stamped on all knives so special numbers must be noted on your order if required. In case of two people wanting the same number the first one in will get it and the second one will get an email. Higher numbers therefor will take longer to be completed.

CFP markings will be laser etched on all knives on the left side ahead of the handle scale.

schiesz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: First forum knife Final

What follows is the one and only official list for this knife. Note the "key" at the bottom for what it all means.

schiesz

CPF Knife List

1 tensixteen
2 schiesz
3 Sasha
4 Sigman
5 Unforgiven
6 Crenshaw
7 ghostreaction
8 Monocrom
9 darell
10 Kiessling
11 silverfox
12 weedle256
13 aj1985
14 spydernut
15 TVODRD
16 donny dont
17 sunspot
18 Marcspar
19 darmawaa
20 smokelaw1
21 phantomphoton
22 Reima
23 darmawaa
24 LEDad
25 b@rt
26 Sesh (Tensixteen's friend)
27 telkin
28 SteveL
29 Mdinana
30 shuter
31 J_Oei
32 steed77
33 tomtec
34 Kingsmono
35 JosephK
36 Mr. Sasha
37 Darell
38 Christoph
39 Empyfree
40 tensixteen Sr.

Legend:
black - No contact has been made
Red - George has received contact info
Orange - down payment received by george
Green - Full payment received by george
Pink - SHIPPED
Also, here are some details on the optional Leather Sheath:
8-9oz vegetable tanned dyed leather, pouch style waterformed hand stitched sheath made by George c/w belt loop. Extra layer of leather along the stitched edge to deter you from cutting the thread. (mid -dark mahogany colour)
sheathofmoosehunter.jpg

Also, here is a scan of the actual handle material, as received by the Tichbournes this week:
blue20handle20material.jpg

Last edited:

schiesz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unless someone else backs out, or George makes more than 40, we have two spots left.

Please email George your contact information if you have not done so yet. I'll try to PM/email those on the 'interested' list that do not show up on George's list sometime this weekend.

Thanks everyone for your assistance and cooperation in this project!

For those who have not been following all that has been going on here, and need to see some pictures;

Tensixteen came up with this design:

George Tichbourne made a prototype:

George re-worked the proto:

And George made a final proto:

The final knives will be have blue dymondwood scales. For examples of George's finished work see his website: www.tichbourneknives.com

Last edited:

schiesz

Flashlight Enthusiast

Details on the sheath have also been added to Post #4.

Details:
8-9oz vegetable tanned dyed leather, pouch style waterformed hand stitched sheath made by George c/w belt loop. Extra layer of leather along the stitched edge to deter you from cutting the thread. (mid -dark mahogany colour)
sheathofmoosehunter.jpg

schiesz

Flashlight Enthusiast

Done. Also adding handle material scans to the original post.

schiesz

george tichbourne

KNIFEMAKER

Done. Also adding handle material scans to the original post.

schiesz

This is as close to the colour as I could get with the scanner. It is a flat piece taken from one of the sheets. Keep in mind it will look different once the holes are drilled and it is contoured to fit the handle. But all in all in person it looks pretty and believe me I am picky as the :devil: and I like it :)

Cheers, Carol :D:D

schiesz

Flashlight Enthusiast

Here are the latest pictures from Carol and George. Take a look at the process:

CPF-photothree.jpg

CPF-photoone.jpg

CPF-photosix.jpg

CPf-photofour.jpg

CPF-photofive.jpg

CPF-photoseven.jpg

CPF-photoeight.jpg

CPF-photonine.jpg

CPF-phototen.jpg

CPF-phototwo.jpg

CPF-photoeleven.jpg

CPF-phototwelve.jpg

Last edited:

Greta

Flashaholic
I've decided to move some of the more important picture posts from the original thread HERE to this thread so you all can see the process that our knives are going through from start to finish.

And a HUGE thank you to Carol and George for taking the time to answer our questions and take pictures of this incredible process... and to shiesz for keeping track of the numbers and posting the pictures for us! :twothumbs :wow:

schiesz

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF-h-fourbeadblastingmachine.jpg

CPF-h-fiveinsidebbwithknife.jpg

CPF-h-sixinsidebb.jpg

CPF-h-seven-insideactionbb.jpg

CPF-h-eightcuttingpinstock.jpg

CPF-h-nine-grindingpin.jpg

CPF-h-threehandlepieces.jpg

CPF-h-oneknivesglued.jpg

CPF-h-twopinshandleground.jpg

Photos not taken - the handle being epoxied on. The epoxy has to be mixed - you
have a small window of opportunity to get the epoxy on the knife handle(tang) the
pins covered in epoxy and put into the handle holes, the knife flipped over and the
second handle scale carefully placed over the epoxied tang and have the pins run
through the second handle scale.