Tiablo A9 @dealextreme

tobbi KLEIN

Newly Enlightened
Last edited:

Lighthouse one

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tiablo has an excellent reputation....however, sometimes the brand name lights on sites like DX are copies. Hard to tell. If real, they are not usually guaranteed like the original from an authorized dealer- or the factory. Compact? Depends on how small you want it...these are not normally called compact. Try an olight or a Fenix for compact. I have the olight t-20. Remember, the larger the reflector- usually the greater the throw..but then it's not compact!
http://www.batteryjunction.com/specialeditionolight-t20.html
If you have any reason to return it- which does happen, even on quality lights- DX is much harder to deal with. I prefer to buy expensive lights from the manufacturer or a state side dealer.
I just remembered - the new Tiablo MA6 is awesome!
http://www.batteryjunction.com/ma6-tiablo.html and it's a good bit smaller!

Last edited:

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't advise whether to buy the light from from DX or not, but I agree with Lighthouse's advice :eek:

I had a Lighthound- A9 experience posted here. :twothumbsThat place is wonderful. They sent me a replacement for a bad A9 even before I made the return! I emailed them and they sent the replacement and a postage paid envelope to make the return!
Without question I personally would buy it from Lighthound!
DX has great deals and they will follow up with service and exchanges, it just takes much longer.

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
It seems safe to assume it's the same, I think.

Something doesn't look right.... The black finish isn't black enough. And that's the wrong lanyard. Definitely looks "off" compared to the Tiablo A9 I got from Lighthound. Mine cost a few dollars less, but came with no batteries or charger.

DX is also well known for selling cheap knock-offs of higher-quality lights.

Their Tiablo A9 might be the real thing, might be a really good copy of the real thing.

Why take chances? Lighthound.com has a solid reputation and much faster delivery times. You'd get an A9 much faster, and without worrying that you might have bought a real nice copy; instead of the real thing.

Wattnot

Enlightened
There are several threads about the Tiablo A9 and A8. The search engine that comes with the software that drives this site isn't the greatest. Use different words and filters and keep trying.

If the size of the A9 is what you like, the best two LED lights in that form factor are the Tiablo and the Dereelight DBS. If you want a smaller light then you want none other than the Dereelight CL1H.

Next thing to think about is batteries. If you are planning on using rechargeable batteries in the Taiblo A9 then don't buy it but buy it's twin brother (sister?) the A8. The A9 is optimized for two CR123 non-rechargeable batteries and the A8 is optimized for a single 18650 rechargeable battery (this config will give the longest runtime too). Either one can take either type of battery but there will be some disappointment, compromise and issues.

:welcome:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Next thing to think about is batteries. If you are planning on using rechargeable batteries in the Taiblo A9 then don't buy it but buy it's twin brother (sister?) the A8. The A9 is optimized for two CR123 non-rechargeable batteries and the A8 is optimized for a single 18650 rechargeable battery (this config will give the longest runtime too). Either one can take either type of battery but there will be some disappointment, compromise and issues.

:welcome:

Some good advice. But the A9 has excellent runtime with an 18650 cell. But with diminishing output.

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some good advice. But the A9 has excellent runtime with an 18650 cell. But with diminishing output.

I originally ran my A9 with a 18650. The beam looked strong.:naughty:
When I learned the A8 would run better on a 18650, I ordred an A8 for an appreciative non flashaholic and liked the output much better than the A9 on RCR123s.

I read that the A9 was designed to run on RCR123s as well as CR123s.:thinking: Is there any truth to that?

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I read that the A9 was designed to run on RCR123s as well as CR123s.:thinking: Is there any truth to that?

I've heard that as well, but don't own any RCR123 cells.

Considering the luck I've been having lately with 18650 cells, I'm glad I can easily run my A9 with primaries.

tobbi KLEIN

Newly Enlightened
thanks a lot for your help so far!

you might be right - lighthound is the better choice. but do you know, how much they charge for shipping to germany? i don't find int shipping details on the website.

another question:
where is the difference between these two A8?
http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=3075
http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2940

and then i found the Regalight WT1 on lighthound for 91 USD.
would this be the better choice?
00.jpg

Monocrom

Flashaholic
thanks a lot for your help so far!

you might be right - lighthound is the better choice. but do you know, how much they charge for shipping to germany? i don't find int shipping details on the website.

another question:
where is the difference between these two A8?
http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=3075
http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2940

and then i found the Regalight WT1 on lighthound for 91 USD.
would this be the better choice?

See where it says "contact us" on the upper right-hand part of the page, on Lighthound.com?

Click on that, then send them an e-mail asking about shipping rates to Germany.

The A8 in the first link has a bit more output. It uses a Cree Q5 emitter. The one in the bottom link doesn't. Also there's an "N" under the words "In Stock" for the Q5 version. That means it's currently not in stock.

The WT1 is a fine light. But if you want a light with great throw, it's a notch below the Tiablo A8 with the Q5 emitter. Perhaps half a notch below the other A8. The smaller diameter head of the WT1 might make it a bit easier to slip into a pocket. But keep in mind that Regalight recently discontinued the WT1. Overall, it's a very good light that comes with plenty of useful accessories. It's performance is very close to an A8, but falls just a bit short.

tobbi KLEIN

Newly Enlightened
Thank you! I just ordered a Regalight WT1 at lighthound.com.
For 91 USD you get a good light with lots of extras (e.g. two reflectors)

The positive reviews about this shop convinced me.
although i have to pay 26 USD for shipping! :eek:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Thank you! I just ordered a Regalight WT1 at lighthound.com.
For 91 USD you get a good light with lots of extras (e.g. two reflectors)

The positive reviews about this shop convinced me.
although i have to pay 26 USD for shipping! :eek:

You're Welcome. :)

Sorry to hear that shipping was that much. But at least with Lighthound, if anything goes wrong, they'll fix it to your satisfaction.