Reasons NOT to buy the TLE-5EXB? (+ new question

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
well a friend wants a drop-in for his Mag 3D I am close to ordering one for him, but...

...I have the impression there have ben problems with it...what are the reasons NOT to buy it?

thanks beforehand, Kostas

Last edited:

redsfairlane

Newly Enlightened
Re: Reasons NOT to buy the TLE-5EXB ?

Don't know about reasons not to buy it, I have one for my 4D mag and I think it's a great upgrade. I have no Malkov to compare it to but it is a big step up from the original bulb with no modifications required.
I think your freind would be happy with one of these.

glenda17

Enlightened

It is about 1/5 the brightness (by eye) than a $10 ebay P60 dropin installed in a $10 P60 clone.

kramer5150

Flashaholic

I looked into that for my ~16 year old 4D mag. In the end it just wasn't worth it, there are a lot of DX lights, P60 drop ins and 6P clones that will outperform it in that price range. Of course if you're a LEO and you just want a solid billet aluminum pipe to :twak:, theres no substitute.

Last edited:

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast

well let me becoem a little more specific.

I am talking about the EXB version that goies to the 2&3D mag

The 3D mag is no option....He is a meember of the Red Cross crew and this specific flashlight is mandatory. And he does not want to go to a dedicated conversion for reasons of cost and incandescent modability.

I do have the EX 4-6 cell version and ever since it dissasembled itself from repeated on/off I am not that pleased.

Concerning the EXB I remember quality and thermal issues involved...
Any feedback on them?

jerry i h

Enlightened

...He is a member of the Red Cross crew and this specific flashlight is mandatory. And he does not want to go to a dedicated conversion for reasons of cost and incandescent modability....
Ouch. Talk about being between Scylla & Charbydis...:(
If you want a LED drop-in the same size and shape as a standard PR bulb, they ALL have the same heat management problems as the EX. Some have solved the heat and light intensity (Malkoff; TLE-300m + 6AA>2D adaptor), but they are $$$ and require you to remove the stock reflector and bulb holder nut. I regularly use a TLE-1F for my camping 2D M*g, but it really is not much better than the xenon bulb LMSA201. Do not know about the EXB.

Gunner12

Flashaholic

Could he use the 3D as a backup?

Do they know there are much better lights out there?

They have the same thermal issue as they've had before(the terralux drop-ins). If he is willing to take off the cam of the reflector or get a different reflector, the Malkoffdevices could be a good choice.

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast

Several agencies such as the red cross and some SAR units dictate specific pieces of equipment because it simplifies supply chain and stockpile issues. They also know the specific equipment their people will have to carry out the mission.
My advice would be to work within these parameters. There are some great dropins for the 3D Mag that require no modification to the light. I have the Malkoff single emitter in one,an Electrolumens tri-emitter in another and also have a TLE version in a 6D. All of these use regular 3D alkaline batteries. For a long-running light the TLE is the way to go. My favorite is the Electrolumens tri-LED. You could get him another complete Mag 3D with a dropin installed and he will be within spec. All the above can be installed or removed within minutes.

Flashlight Enthusiast

i just ordered a TLE-6EXB fora 2-3 cell from batteryjunction tomorrow.. actually around 1-2 pm today

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast

Concerning the EXB I remember quality and thermal issues involved...
Any feedback on them?

Some initial problems were due to assembly errors that were corrected (no heat sink goop under the LED).

I have several maglites and I've used Malkoff dropins on two and MagLED modules on two others. The Malkoffs are brighter, and the MagLEDs though not as bright as the TerraLux, run longer. I think any dropin would be worthwhile compared to the krypton bulb. I also liked the lower price and local availability of the MagLEDs. They also fit in the tailcap if you upgrade further.

Last edited:

nein166

Flashlight Enthusiast

I had problems with the emitter breaking free of the heatsink, bad bonding material. The light went blue but I shut it off before it burned out.
I ended up epoxying it down and adding a heatsink disc, also cut the reflector.

Malkoff single LED Drop-in module will run for 6 Hours with Blinding output.
The TLE will loose output as it heats up, 10minutes max output. Theres no where for the heat to go once the post it screws onto is soaked. The maglite is designed to hold a hot bulb and resist heat transfer to the body. Malkoff gets around this by using a heatsink that touches the body. Malkoff Drop-in is truely regulated.

At the moment they are sold out get on Gene's mailing list.
Note: The reflector cam needs to be cut 1/4'' from base of reflector.

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast

I had problems with the emitter breaking free of the heatsink, bad bonding material. The light went blue but I shut it off before it burned out.

Only the emitter? In my -EX the 2 pieces of the dropin went off too...

Getting more specific...

Electrolumens & Malkoff are out of the question...
Because of the TLE-5EXB issues I was that close to buy the MagLED from lighthound but they are out of stock. So I had to ask before pulling the trigger with the terralux.

BTW he has seen a Magled in action but did not like the way the beam focuses. I confirm that with a 2D...Being pleased with the TLE-5EX beam, the EXB may be a good choice for him.

Hmm if it sounds complicated.

He has seen a 3D MagLED, wants one of his own, he will probably get the -EXB
I have the 2D MagLED and the TLE-5EX...

On a wild guess will the 2D MagLED work with 3D???

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic

No, there are separate LED modules from maglite(they need to be upgraded, are you listening mag?) for the 2, 3, and 4D models. You can use 1 dummy cell, and you can also mod it to a Seoul.

Last edited:

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Terralux MiniStar5 for 2 - 6 cell D Maglite Flashlights.

The first new one I ordered came defective with the angry blue beam. The replacement was fine. They are very fragile,need to be installed with care, and need to left alone. I am happy with it in my vintage 6D but it is like a Mag LED replacement module. Neither has any heat sinking. If he will be using it in a totally dark field environment the terralux or Mag product may be fine. It would give him equal or more light output for a much longer runtime. I would keep it in the tailcap for a backup replacement. I can't see any situation where he would be deployed using the 3D mag and be questioned about his Malkoff or Electrolumens drop-in bulb. If some field supervisor did insist he remove the Malkoff or Electolumens drop in (unlikely), he would be able to do this within two minutes and put back the standard PR bulb or Mag LED replacement bulb.

Both my Malkoff and especially my tri-LED Electrolumens product has totally transformed my 3D Mag into a light that is worth having. They have changed my view on the usefulness these 3D mags and the runtime is unprecedented.

Last edited:

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
he is on a budget. And more importatly does not want ot spend more money for a mag. You know why they insist on a 3D Mag? cos it is reliable, net too big, and can function as a glass breaker!!!!