Please help the newbie!

im2smrt4u

Newly Enlightened
Please help me decide on a new flashlight!

I am looking for something I can carry with me all the time. I have been considering different options from the Arc to the Surefire E2e.

I'd like to keep it cheap, and surefire isn't cheap. Is it worth it? I already have two Photon IIs, but they aren't that great. OTOH, they are small, so I don't have any trouble carrying them with me all the time.

Finally, I have heard about conversions for Maglights that will produce a light almost as bright as the Surefire. Is this true? Where can I find information and parts about these modifications?

The bootm line is price. I could buy a dozen maglights for the price of one Surefire, and I'm looking for justification (or an alternate choice). Thanks in advance!

Steven Roos

Saaby

Flashaholic
Watch out, 100 people are going to give you 100 opinions. Here's a summary.

Surefire is good but not cheep, get it anyway.

My name is Darell, get an Arc AAA, then get another, and another...

Convert your Mag.

Ok, ready for my opinion? First of all sorry Darell but you're probably used to it by now, secondly, I too would probably vote get an Arc AAA or, if you want something really bright, I hear Brinkmann Legend LX torches are really bright.

Oh, by the way, welcome to CPF
smile.gif
, and, uh, don't be scared away by me
grin.gif

im2smrt4u

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the quick reply.

Do you have any information on how to convert my Mag?

Saaby

Flashaholic
What size (is the mag) and how would you like it served up...

Luxeon Star is popular but so is the Opalec new beam. Opalec new beam would probably be your best option but it just all depends...How are your electronics skils?

im2smrt4u

Newly Enlightened
I have a Mag Solitare, Mini-Mag (2xAAA), and a regular Maglight (2xAA), but I'm open to puchasing others. Mag lights are cheap.
smile.gif

I'm pretty much open to any suggestions...

Darell

Flashaholic
You kill me Ryan. Remind me to kill you back sometime...

1. Get an Arc AAA
2. Tune up the Mag with an Opalec Newbeam for starters (easiest mod you'll ever do).
3. If you want adventure, try one of the local modder's LS conversions. Surf on over to the modified/homebrew forum for more info.

Welcome! Great to chat with you tonight.

Saaby

Flashaholic
I thnk you're getting an Arc now but you can put a drop in conversion in the Minimag (meanign you just change the bulb basically) or you can add a Luxeon Star which is brighter but harder, I will let everyone else help you from this point on as I have yet to do a mod.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
By ruling out ARC and SureFire, you've just ellimated probably the best 2-choices for and EDC.

For EDC, I always have an ARC-LS and ARC-AAA with me. They cover 99% of my lighting needs at all times. If I need something brighter, I grab by SureFire E2E.

If you're looking for low-cost, bright and good beam quality, go with the Brinkman Legend LX, however I consider that to be too large for an every-day-carry.

Again, the LS and AAA is the best combo going in my opinion.

bewshy

Newly Enlightened
I have to second nascar on this. My Arc AAA serves great for up close and general purpose very short range. My e2e-camo then covers everything from short-range to tactical entry =) I own 3 surefires now (I bought a M4 today) and I couldn't live w/o my e2e and my Arc AAA. I also have a Arc LS first on the way. Don't let the battery cost get you down. I picked up 12 123's for 22 bucks and I use this thing on a daily basis and the batteries still last me a long time. I own the Opalec also and its great for close work, but has little throw compared to the Legend LX or a Surefire. Arc and Surefire handsdown make some awesome lights. If you want the surefire power w/o the initial "start-up" cost I recommend buying a LX and sticking a surefure P60 or P61 lamp assembly in it. Very easy and takes 5 minutes...a blind folded, one armed monkey could do it.

eric

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks all. You've talked me into buying the Opalec Newbeam for my Mag-AA. Gosh Golly, my first mod.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Look at the Sreamlight Scorpion, its as bright as an E2 and can be bought for about the same price as the Newbeam conversion for the Mini Mag (less than $30). It's a lot of light for the money.

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome. I'm still relatively new.

I would take the 2AA Maglight and put in the Opalec NewBeam. It was the first mod I did to a flashlight. It's a quality piece.

And about the Arc, . . . . . . . . . resistance is futile. JUST TODAY,. . . . . . I spent yet more money on my flashlight hobby by buying an Arc-LE. I'm totally out of control. You will be too!

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me the Photons, ARC AAAs, PT Attitude and Surefire E2/E2E are the daily rotation selection that cover 98% of what i need a flashlight for.

The Brinkman LX would give you a cheap alternative to a Surefire e2/e2e/6p (~$20), but is a little bigger and heavier. The Surefire E2 / E2E is well worth the money though, and I highly recommend it if you can fit it into your budget.

The PT Attitude is a cheaper altenative to the Opaltec, and is water proof, but is not regulated and runs on 4 AAAs instead of 2 AAs. I like the heck out of my Attitude, and always have one in my truck or back pocket. It may get retired some in favor of my incoming Inova X5T, but not sure yet.

I would also take your 2AAA Minimag and drill out the reflector and replace the bulb with a 5mm LED. You ought to be able to find a nice red LED at Radio Shack that will work for 2 AAA for $2-3. This wouldn't likely be much brighter if any than your Photons, but would run longer on cheaper batts.

Saaby

Flashaholic
Geez, while you were all over here having a party I was sulking thinking I broke CPF.

Anyway it's about a day late but yesterday precisly when I clicked on this thread was when CPF broke, I was clicking on it to say I am back and I've had sleep so I can make coherent reccomendations.

I think he'll be saying something about it soon so we'l just have to wait as I am not going to say too much about it, but Graham may have another option for you if you are willing to wait....
wink.gif

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a E2 and Scorpion (among others) and I would say go for the E2 it´s worth every penny! $$$ problems? get the Scorpion, a lotta light for the money, also has a spare bulb so you don´t get stranded if the first plays dead.

Just my $0.02

im2smrt4u

Newly Enlightened
Well, after a lot of computer trouble and then not being able to access the forums, I'm back!
grin.gif

So, it seems like an Arc and an E2 would be the best combination. I think I'll be starting with an arc. Is there a retail store I can buy one at to save shipping? Or is Texas Tactical Supply my best bet?

I will also look into a conversion for my trusty mag.
smile.gif

Saaby

Flashaholic
TTS is your best bet. Arc doesn't do retail, they say period but we say yet.

(Arc doesn't do retail period/yet)

You'll enjoy it!! I love mine after having it only one day, ok I loved it the moment I opened the package but anyway.....

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would recommend the Surefire E2 or E2e. It is the smallest 2-cell light you can get! But it is expensive.

A cheaper alternative is the steamlight scorpion for about ~$30.

Another cheap solution is the Brinkmann Legend LX for ~$20.

All three of these are about the same brightness and use somewhat expensive CR123A batteries.

A 3-D cell maglite is about 35 lumens and the E2 is 60 lumens so you are getting a lot out of these small lights.

If you want a great, small LED light get the ARC LS, get a "second" to save some money, you won't regret it.

Since you already have Photons I don't think you would really like the ARC AAA only because it is not any brighter and cost more, however, it is a great light and is built very rugged & is a great buy if you are looking to use this size of light for long periods of time. You will get 5-6 hours out of the ARC AAA from 1 AAA battery and the brightness is pretty constant throuout.

If you want cheap and bright get the Brinkmann Legend LX for ~$20, you can't go wrong.
cool.gif

Another good cheap light that uses AA (8 of them) batteries is the PT Surge, it's brighter than the lights above and has 3+ hour runtime. It's not as small as the 2-cell CR123A flashlights but it's a great light at ~$25.