Surefire E1B Backup (Pics Included)

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received my Surefire E1B Backup from LAPoliceGear.com last Wednesday (5 days ago). This little light has remained in my pocket every day since I received it :devil:

First, let's get my only gripe out of the way...
Without any knurling, it does seem a bit slippery to handle. I'll be honest, I had read on here someone else mention the very same thing but didn't think much of it until I started using one myself. It's not too bad though, you just have to be sure you keep a good grip on it. This is really only a minor gripe.

Next, let me just come right and say it...I absolutely love this little light! I really like its forward clicky which enables me to press for momentary on and click for constant. The switch has an excellent feel to it. I might have to get a SF forward clicky for my 6PL now :sssh:

I know that some of you will disagree with me here, but I actually like the fact that it comes on in high first, then low mode second. If I'm walking along and want to immediately light something up that I hear around the corner or in a bush or something, I want it immediately coming on with all 80 lumens. If I'm in a real low-light environment where I don't want to destroy my night adapted vision, I'll simply press the head of light against my body and click through to low mode before uncovering it.

On high, this light really throws a lot of light. It definitely out throws my 6PL which is also 80 lumens. But what I found even more impressive, is how useful the low mode is. On low, it has roughly half the total output of my Fenix L0D Q4 on low (which I confirmed in an ultra scientific ceiling-bounce test :laughing:) but keeps the light in a much tighter, much more useable beam. I really though that 5 lumens would be pretty weak, but with Surefire's TIR, it really is very useable. In comparison, the L0D's 11 lumen low just diffuses the light too much for it to be very useable in anything less that VERY dark environments IMHO (at least compared to the 5 lumen, TIR from the E1B).

In fact, when I first compared the E1B on low to my L0D on low, I though that the E1B was putting out more light (hey, we all know that Surefire lumens are bright :crackup:), but I was quite suprised to see in the ceiling-bounce-test the L0D really lit up the room better than the E1B.

Before I end this with some pictures I took of my E1B, I'd like to just say that I'd strongly recommend this light to anyone considering purchasing one.

Picture time: :)
Larger versions are available on Flickr by clicking the image.

-Robert

Last edited:

LG&M

Enlightened
Thanks for the review. I think the E1b & Lod-ce are great lights also. Both have a place in my EDC rotation.

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice photography!!!
Those pics are very nice indeed!

I too like my Backup! It became my EDC as soon as I got it. Like you, I just put the head against my hand or body and cycle to the "low" when I don't want to have "high" first.

Its a great light and I use it all the time!

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice review. I'm not a big fan of the dual stage head with the clickie, but after using this light for a couple of weeks, I have to reverse myself and say that the high first is better for the exact same reason you have mentioned.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a nice little light. :) Feels rock solid, and has good throw for a light its size. I have a F04 diffuser on mine which makes it much nicer for around the house use. I also find it's one of the few lights that can clip to my thick (some kinda fleece) PJ pants easily. :)

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
After one month now from the original review, I thought that I'd provide a quick update...

I EDC the E1B in my computer bag to work each day and after work it goes in my pocket each day. The finish is holding up well--not a single scratch or imperfection. I'm still on the original battery it came with too, although I probably only use it a few times a week for short periods of time.

I still feel that it is really a superb little light and absolutely worth every dime. In my signature below, my lights are listed in order of purchase starting with the 6PL (bought late 2007). To be honest, I think the E1B is what I was really looking for at the time and it probably would have been my first purchase rather than the 6PL if the E1B would have been available. IMO, the 80/5 lumen combo is about perfect for EDC. My now, poor neglected 6PL is patiently awaiting Surefire to release the P61L so that it can get some use after being practically replaced by the E1B for the time being :D.

Robert

chaoss

Enlightened
Thanks for the update on the E1B Robert, it's good to hear that you still favor this light even after the newness factor has faded.

I'm curious to know if you still prefer the (high on first) switching of the E1B as compared to say an E1L (low first)?

cheers

AOBRICK

Newly Enlightened
Nice review it really is one of the best shurefire has ever made

Zenster

Enlightened
After one month now from the original review, I thought that I'd provide a quick update...

I EDC the E1B in my computer bag to work each day and after work it goes in my pocket each day. The finish is holding up well--not a single scratch or imperfection. I'm still on the original battery it came with too, although I probably only use it a few times a week for short periods of time.

I still feel that it is really a superb little light and absolutely worth every dime.
Robert

+1, but my experience is a little different.
My E1B is actually getting a little beat up, so now I don't have to baby it anymore.
It's become the light that I EDC everyday at work. I like it because of the high-first setting which is what I use most for peering into various equipment during the day, and I like the clip that allows lens-down carry clipped on the edge of my pocket.

I drop it on concrete every few days so it's definitely scratched up and battle scarred, but it's never let me down.
I've got other single-cell Surefires as well as other brands, but the E1B stands out as THE one that is earning it's keep. Tough little bugger.

e2x2e

Enlightened
I saw one today for the first time in my life and I am determined to get it. An engineering marvel.

Patriot

Flashaholic
I love the backup although I ended up putting a higher output head on it. I think it fits its name though....unlike the Titan.

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the update on the E1B Robert, it's good to hear that you still favor this light even after the newness factor has faded.

I'm curious to know if you still prefer the (high on first) switching of the E1B as compared to say an E1L (low first)?

cheers

Actually I do still prefer the high/low switch. I've found that most of the time I use it I want the 80 lumens and switch to 5 lumens if low will sufficiently light up what I need and I'll be running it for at least a couple of minutes. If something goes bump or I hear something and want to light it up quickly, I prefer the light to start on high rather than having to toggle through.

Robert

Snipe315

Newly Enlightened
How does the Surefire E1B compare to the Novatac 120P?

Very nice review, pictures, and followup.

I'm curious about this light and the Novatac 120P.

Has anyone done a head to head comparision between these 2 lights from a "best EDC" perspective?

:popcorn:

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was just wondering if you had actually ever used an E1B and experienced it's UI?
I ask because IMHO Surefire really does have a winner. Why? It is easy to be critical of things which are new or if we haven't tried them first hand.
Personally I find it very difficult to fault the E1B's user interface.
It is completly transparent to the user. If you did not know the light was able to go to a low mode a person could go for a long time without even knowing that the light is able to do this. Why because when a person uses a light they turn it on and use it. using only a single click. Low requires 2 clicks within a short period of time.
Unless you want to go to the LOW mode you would almost never even know it is there.
The UI is such that LOW is only activated when you want it to be there.
Otherwise it is not in the way or even noticed.
IMHO this is a HUGE improvement over prior surefire single cell lights with only one level.

The second level is optional.
I think that Surefire worked hard to create a non invasive User Interface to the current range of flashlights. IMHO they have done a fine job.
Of the Current crop of Surefire lights the E1B is the brightest single cell light they make.
The E2D and the E1B look to me to be a perfect pair.

If you haven't tried it first hand I highly recommend that you do. It is absolutely a step in the right direction.
Yaesumofo

Nice review. I'm not a big fan of the dual stage head with the click, but after using this light for a couple of weeks, I have to reverse myself and say that the high first is better for the exact same reason you have mentioned.