Silly Maglite D26 mod

Norm

Retired Administrator
Sitting this afternoon thinking of mods as usual, when this mod came to me, not sure if it's useful or ever been done before but it is simple and reverseable. Might be a good mod for someone starting out, maybe 2C X 2 18650 and a 7.4Volt D26 lamp, sure would be a cheap mod.

1002018tr4.jpg
d26backml7.jpg

d26spacerjm1.jpg
d26onre9.jpg

Open the head of your Maglite, remove the bulb retaining ring (we won't be using it), find a light tower insulator from an old mod (needed to insulate the inside of the bulb holder) squash the large spring on your bulb so it makes contact with the outside of the light tower, stretch both springs just a bit, insert the D26 and screw the bezel and lens back on, that's it.
Batteries and bulb voltage up to you.​

Last edited:

Norm

Retired Administrator
More detailed in what way? Please tell me if there something specific that isn't clear.
Norm

Norm

Retired Administrator
Rizky, yes it is a 3 X C cell mag, but any other size and battery combination would work depending on the lamp voltage.
Norm

Norm

Retired Administrator
Just had a look at a Mag D and can see no reason for it no to work, the idea of bending the large spring on the LA is to make it contact the cam roller for the earth connection.
Norm

Norm

Retired Administrator
what is the light tower insulator? where can I get one of those?

thanks.

david.
It is the insulator that comes from bottom half of the light tower, where the + bulb contact is, look down the bulb holder and you'll see a black insulator that's it, I have them left over from other mods that require the tower to cut from the switch.
Norm

houtex

Enlightened
I want to bring this thread back up in hopes of seeing has anyone else done this mod using modern drop-ins.

jellydonut

Enlightened
Why would you want to though? A P60 dropin and 2x18650s in a light twice the size needed for such a configuration? :/

It wouldn't have any advantages over a 9P with an extender, or a 9P-type light made with the new Moddoolar bodies, or a Malkoff MD2 head on an MD4 body - it would just be larger for no reason.

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why would you want to though? A P60 dropin and 2x18650s in a light twice the size needed for such a configuration? :/

It wouldn't have any advantages over a 9P with an extender, or a 9P-type light made with the new Moddoolar bodies, or a Malkoff MD2 head on an MD4 body - it would just be larger for no reason.
Not that I would do it but.......RUNTIME on NiMh D-cells would be VERY LONG.

houtex

Enlightened
Haven't you learned yet. It's never about WHY with flashlights, it's about HOW.

Besides I have a beatuiful Jade green 4D that I will never cut.

Benson

Flashlight Enthusiast
It would be a good deal cheaper. To some folks, that's an advantage...

And as think2x points out, it's not just "2x18650s" -- in addition to the obvious 26700 or 32600 options, you can go NiMH, and you'd need one mighty extender to match a 6D Mag. 10Ah*7.2V = 72Wh... 7x 2900mAh 18650s beats it at 75Wh, if you can find a suitable 24V bipin to use in a fivemega adapter.

Of course, now that I did the math, it's got me wanting to see this 9P-based walking-stick light. (42P?) lovecpf

By the way, I believe the same approach would work with a D36, making better (but still incomplete) use of the Mag's large head diameter. You'd have to be careful about screwing the Mag head down too far, might break something...

houtex

Enlightened
Ok . I got to tinkering and soldered the Maglite bulb screw thingy to the bottom of a Lighthound p60 drop-in. Pulled the contact spring out abit and BAM! It works!

Now I have a 4D maglite LED. Gotta figure away to get the heat outta there but in about 20 second I've made a maglite screw-in drop-in.

Next,a Solarforce XM-l drop-in .