Flashlight events for Mar. 29 Earth Hour?

RGB_LED

Enlightened
I came across an article in the local paper and noticed that, for the upcoming Earth Hour - where cities and individuals are asked to turn off their lights for one hour on Sat. Mar. 29 from 8 - 9pm - a symphony in a neighbouring city will be playing by their music stand lights and those attending are asked to 'Arrive early and bring your flashlights'... http://www.thestar.com/SpecialSections/EarthHour/article/350376. :party:

While using flashlights from 8-9pm is not exactly 'lights out' for Earth Hour, it seems like it's an idea opportunity for flashoholics since many electricity-driven lights will be turned off in, and around, some cities and towns.

Just wondering if anyone has heard of any other flashlight events in any cities for this coming Saturday evening's Earth Hour... :popcorn:

Uncle Bob

Enlightened
I'll be watching a Neftlix movie with my main squeeze. We usually turn the lights out anyway. We could wear our headlamps for trips to the fridge for snacks. Guess we could also use a portable DVD player instead of the main appliance and TV.

Isn't this exercise just a sham though? Power plants will still be burning coal for the hour anyway waiting for the demand to be back up. Still had to use the grid to charge the DVD player battery. And I'm not unplugging the fridge. It's just more politics. :(

...but a good excuse to play with your lights. :naughty:

1 what

Enlightened
I'll be camping at Byron Bay (Australia).
Tiablo and other toys on a long white beach with ocean spray+++.
Can any of you guys organize a sat photo?

RGB_LED

Enlightened
I'll be watching a Neftlix movie with my main squeeze. We usually turn the lights out anyway. We could wear our headlamps for trips to the fridge for snacks.
Well, you're fortunate that she appreciates them somewhat... only time I get my gf interested in lights is during camping outings.

Isn't this exercise just a sham though? Power plants will still be burning coal for the hour anyway waiting for the demand to be back up. Still had to use the grid to charge the DVD player battery. And I'm not unplugging the fridge. It's just more politics. :(
You're right, Uncle Bob, I'm not buying into the whole political thing since we power-hungry 'civilized' folks live on the grid every other day. But... as you said...

:party: I figure, as Flashoholics, someone should come up with a cool event with battery-powered lights. I'm scratching my head on this one as I'm looking for some suggestions...

RGB_LED

Enlightened
I'll be camping at Byron Bay (Australia).
Tiablo and other toys on a long white beach with ocean spray+++.
Can any of you guys organize a sat photo?
:cool:... Unfortunately, can't help you with that one since I don't own any sat's nor do I have access to one... :D but hope you have a great time camping!

Chuck289

Enlightened
Im just planning on driving up to SanFran with some friends. Just to see what the city will look like.

Braddah_Bill

Enlightened
Isn't this exercise just a sham though? Power plants will still be burning coal for the hour anyway waiting for the demand to be back up.

It would really be something if when everyone turned the lights back on it caused such a demand that it tripped off the plant which caused a cascade effect with other plants and brought down a major grid......ahhhh, :oops:

Bill

Haz

Enlightened
We had it last year in Sydney also. It was quite nice to see the city without much lights at night. You can see the stars alot more easier

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
It would really be something if when everyone turned the lights back on it caused such a demand that it tripped off the plant which caused a cascade effect with other plants and brought down a major grid......

That's a funny result I hadn't thought of. Will CPF's be chastised if they post during that hour?

tarponbill

Newly Enlightened
LOL ... this is funny, that so many buy the hoax. How does paying higher taxes effect the weather. Never could figure that part out.

Rzr800

Enlightened
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/182985

As has been mentioned before...the first light (in many of these cities) that "Earth Hour" organizers will be absolutely itching to turn off are those forever and proudly shining on 'Ol Glory.

One would hope that CPFers in each location make certain that these switches never get touched... :thanks:

1 what

Enlightened
Update Re #4.
Went camping as promised.
For those of you in winter - a photo:
beachmc7.jpg

Here is my T1 doing a tailstand with one of the locals - needless to say neither of them were turned off during Earth Hour. :sigh:

tailstandsnb3.jpg

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice pics! Talk about being one lucky guy. I forget sometimes that some people don't ever really experience a real winter. I sure wish I didn't.

As for Earth Day I turned off the lights last night from 8-10 and watched a movie. I had a couple lanterns hanging on plant hangers lighting up my kitchen and dining room just in case I needed something.

Uncle Bob

Enlightened
Electric lights were out for the symbolic hour. Used a headlamp and River Rock AA lanterns while devouring a strawberry, banana fondue dessert after dinner with my main squeeze.

:party: