Leave your DSL connected?

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
is it safe to leave your dsl connected when you're not on the computer? i usually disconnect and turn the monitor off but my brother leaves his connected, just turns off his monitor. he says not to worry about hackers as they're not after me. i don't keep anything stored in my computer.

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
I turn mine off if I'm not going to be around it for more than an hour. I've got some firewall protection, but I saw how "good" the ant-virus software from the same company was (/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif) so I'm not entirely confident.

-Jason

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
My router keeps my DSL connection always on and it is shared between two computers. The main computer is only shut down when on vacation. The router has hardware firewall protection and I run Norton Internet Security as well which contains a software firewall as well as Norton Anti-virus. In two years, my set-up has never been penetrated by hackers to the best of my knowledge and I've only had one virus via email in which Norton promptly caught.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have firewall, which i downloaded for free and norton anti virus. so far one virus norton caught, but i had to scan to get it.

i think i'll keep turning mine off just to be safe.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Sigman said:
Zonealarm!!

[/ QUOTE ]

yep, that's what i have.

Saaby

Flashaholic
Behind NAT (Hardware) firewall. They're simple but fairly hacker-proof from what I understand. Then I add a wireless router to the mix, effectively poking holes in all my security /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

Bill.H

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
tkl said:
he says not to worry about hackers as they're not after me. i don't keep anything stored in my computer.

[/ QUOTE ]
These kids scan for open IP addresses, they don't know if it's "you" or not until they're in. It's quite possible someone already was. I'd get a Linksys DSL router and Norton AntiVirus as a minimum. You can probably do both for about $60 if you shop around on the web. Even if you don't have anything you think is worth stealing, someone can plant a password (or credit card) stealing program, or a script kiddie could make you part of a DOS attack. Check out grc.com when you get a chance for a good explanation of how it all happens.

Lighthouse

Enlightened
Hmmm, I must really be paranoid ... we are running Zone Alarm, plus other programs for firewall and virus protection, have a router, have utility power & phone line transient voltage surge suppression and still, the standing rule in the "Lighthouse" is that the DSL & PC power lines are unplugged when not in use. Moving to DSL did help as there is some fiber optic distribution involved, but it is still copper into the house.

YMMV due to different weather conditions, infrastructure and power generation / distribution systems.

Actually not paranoid, just tired of replacing equipment due to power induced computer problems. All of our immediate power and phone lines are overhead, between the poles getting hit by cars which sometimes causes high voltage power lines to contact low voltage communication lines, and the occassional lightning induced events, it has been much less expensive to simply unplug. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

The unplugging also reduces the overall exposure to hacking and hijacking of our computers since they are turned off and disconected.

Bottom line, once bit, twice shy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif

Lighthouse

Enlightened
Bill.H,
Yep, WELL SAID...I've been a fan of Steve Gibson for several years and learned quite a bit from reading the information on his sites. If you're not paranoid when you start reading, you will be when you finish reading his stuff. He has a great manner of explaining "geek speak" to us "geekless" types. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hate to think that my PC was being used without my knowledge, much less to be remotely operated as a base for D.O.S. attacks. Simply having and using DSL makes one more of a target by hackers.

PieThatCorner

Enlightened
I just wish I could get DSL... heck, I can't even get cable internet to my home. Just plain unavailable. As far as Dish Network Satellite connection - $75 bucks a month. Ouch...

Buuuuuut, if I ever do get cable, then it's Black Ice Defender and Norton Simon Museum... eh, I mean Norton Symantec System Works... plus, turn off the PC and move it to another room. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
what's a router? i disconnect but leave my modem on, should i turn it off too?

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I leave cable modem on, as it is connected to my UPS. I shutdown my PC when I go to bed or have to go out. I run AVG Antivirus, which catches stuff that norton and the other one don't (even before the others have virus defs out). Since I got AVG, I have never got an email virus/worm.

no firewall here on win98se, though Mandrake Linux has one on by default. I haven't found a win98 firewall that didn't slow down my system and annoy the heck out of me.

Lighthouse

Enlightened
It is suggested that you check out www.GRC.COM and Steve Gibson's commentary on Black Ice before you invest in it. He provides ratings and a fairly direct evaluation of these types of software, without pulling any punches.

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
PieThatCorner I thought Honeywell had a dish service for a lot less than 75/mo and with decent download speed (*upload sucks and is via 56K telephone line, but that might be okay?)

I have cable, so I'm not sure since of the price I'm just going on vague recollection.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
This Gateway box I'm on right now is on DSL. DSL in my case has GREAT through-put but CRAPPY Ping Time.

This thing crashes so often that we NEVER leave it on if we are not in the room with it.

When it used to be better, we did. And twice we caught something, one time serious. Now the others that use this box aren't as up on it all as I am and they could have screwed it up.

Anyhow, at THIS time we do not leave it connected.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
The main target for these folks is indeed you. There is nothing better than an unprotected windows box connected to cable or DSL. They don't care what you've got on your machine, there is very little of interest to them (Unless you've got your CC#'s in there) what they are most interested in is gaining control of your machine to use against other folks in DOS attacks.

If I even began to tell you what I think about windows security you'd all just tune out and wander off, so I'll keep it short.

All those software firewall solutions that run on the same machine are suspect. After all they are running on the same physical machine and are software based. Therefore software exploits will find a way around them, the traffic is already getting to your box and just hopefully being intercepted.

To anyone who actually thinks that they want to run windows get yourself a hardware router. They are cheap. Set up a NAT network so that your PC is on a non-routable address like 10.0.1.1 or something like that. This way they cannot actually send packets to your computer without fooling your router into forwarding them. Basically any packet that isn't part of a conversation that you started on purpose gets thrown out.

But, just because you've done this doesn't mean your safe from anything already on your machine. Those programs make outgoing connections which are not filtered by the router so you're still messed up if they are already in and you don't know it.

of course, the ultimate solution is to explore an alternate OS. Otherwise you'll find that your crop is suffering from the same potato blight as everyone elses and when they go down, so will you...