Are Lithium Batteries Safe to Stack? Added Storage Tube Pic

Curly

Newly Enlightened
I have been trying to figure this out for some time while lurking about this forum, and after several searches.

1. Can I stack (let's say 6-8 of them) primary CR123 batteries in a tube and hang on my shop wall? Some people I know think the middle batteries will discharge or something. This makes no sense to me so I figured one of you might know for sure and why.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Braddah_Bill

Enlightened
Re: Are Lithium Batteries Safe to Stack?

I have no idea if the cells would discharge, but you could just place a plastic disk or plastic washer between each cell and be done with worrying about it.

I have a keychain light that is a twisty (turns on when fully tightened) and it used to come on every so often in my pocket - I cut a small plastic disk placed it on top of the battery and now it is locked out till I need it.

Bill

thermal guy

Flashaholic

They make battery holders that hold cell end to end.You should be just fine Just make sure that your tube will not conduct from one end to the other.And don't forget they do go in flashlights like that and you can leave cells in them for years.

Dantor

Enlightened

They'll be fine. Where would the electrons go?

into the strongest battery!

my understanding is you should store them separately or with plastic type spacers in between, better safe than sorry IMO.

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast

No need to worry, cells have to be connected in parallel for electron to move from the strongest to the weakest (and "charge" it). Most of my CR123A are stored with 3 to 4 cells stacked. Just make sure they won't short with the container.

Curly

Newly Enlightened

Thanks everyone!

The tubes are shipping containers I get some shop supplies in. They're made of polycarbonate with caps at both ends. The 'top' one has a loop that hooks nicely on the bench wall. There's nothing conductive about them.

I figured these would also work as a way to keep the CR123s from rolling around in the 'junk' drawer of our camper. (the kids would just blast new ones out of the package and let them roll free) I buy the Titanium ones and they come in 6 piece packs, so I cut the tubes to fit 6 cells.

Since there's so much chit chat about the "dangers" of CR123 batteries on this forum and other web sites, I just wanted to be sure my camper, shop, or SUV isn't going to go up in flames while sitting in my yard.

If I can figure out how to post a picture of it I will.

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast

I agree, as long as there's no electrical path from one end of the stack to the other, you can stack 'em all you want.

Sounds like you've come up with some pretty nifty containers there, Curly. You might consider making some up and offering them in BST. :thumbsup:

Dave

Curly

Newly Enlightened

Oh sorry, I'll take pictures later today and try to post them.

Curly

Newly Enlightened
Re: Are Lithium Batteries Safe to Stack? Added: Storage Tube Pic

Okay here it is.

Excuse the downdraft table backdrop... I have a guitar shop.

battery_tube.jpg