BlackShadow

Thread: Care for an SAK

Default Care for an SAK

Ok, I have a Swiss Army Knife Explorer in black, and I was curious, what is the best way to care for the hinges? Would some WD40 work? Or is there some kind of oil I should buy? Any help is appreciated
    Register your Smart PD(D10, D20, EX10) at the official registry
    To prevent catastrophes, please make sure that brain is online before mouth moves.

Flashaholic*

Default Re: Care for an SAK

With high polish surface SAK use it's not necessary to use any oil, but if you insist, anything from baby oil to the $10 for a tiny bottle miracle oil type would do.

Flashaholic

I just use a few drops of 3in1 oil.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by jzmtl View Post
    With high polish surface SAK use it's not necessary to use any oil, but if you insist, anything from baby oil to the $10 for a tiny bottle miracle oil type would do.
    What about leatherman tools? Like the juice series and the micra.
    And diff_lock said, Let there be light: and there was light.

Flashaholic*

WD40 is NOT oil
    It displaces water first and foremost and in my experiences washes out lube. I personally like Tuf Glide, though 3 in 1 works, etc

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by diff_lock2 View Post
    I don't have one long enough to tell, but I use motor oil on pivot of my knives and multitools. If the knife can be disassembled thou I do that and put antiseize on pivot instead of any oil.

I had a sak for over ten years, never lubed it, and it was used so much the logo fell off and spring on scissor broke, but pivot and backspring was good as new. Sent it in for warrenty and they send back a new one. I didn't know I can just buy the scissor spring or I would've replaced it myself.

Quote Originally Posted by GarageBoy View Post
    WD40 is NOT oil
    It displaces water first and foremost and in my experiences washes out lube. I personally like Tuf Glide, though 3 in 1 works, etc
    Yes forgot to mention that, WD40 is classified as a solvent, not lubricant.
    Last edited by jzmtl; 03-26-2008 at 07:22 PM.

yeah, I would suggest just keep it clean, free of dirt and moisture and it'll last you a long time
    Shinning on

Flashaholic

How about Teflon oil? I tried it, and was not impressed.
    And diff_lock said, Let there be light: and there was light.

The knife guy at Cabelas who custom makes knives in his spare time recommended me to use Rem oil (by Remington, for firearms) on blades/hinges. Its cheap and seems pretty nice to me.

Thanks for all the help guys! I will look into these different care methods.
    Register your Smart PD(D10, D20, EX10) at the official registry
    To prevent catastrophes, please make sure that brain is online before mouth moves.

Unenlightened

The method given by Nbp is more appropriate and easy for caring your knife..!!!
    So you should try it..!!!

I use Rem Oil on all of my SAKs.
    Just don't over lubricate it, a little goes a long way.
    If it's too over oiled, it can attract dirt, dust, pocket lint, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by diff_lock2 View Post
    I've seen one of my friend's leatherman waves rust at the hinge pins so I've started cleaning my leatherman skeletool monthly or bi-monthly. My dad (studied tool and die making) said that cooking oil will do.

Unenlightened

Cooking oil will become rancid over time. Mineral oil is a better bet for a food safe alternative.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Nano oil seems well suited to use on knives and Multitools.
    Norm

Flashaholic*

I'll chime in for the Rem-oil. I've been using it for years on all my SAKs and Leatherman tools. I do first clean them with some WD-40.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.
    -- Albert Einstein

Flashaholic*

I use a wax based lube because it tends to last longer, not allow dirt to get into the joints, and doesn't migrate as much.

Remember though that items used on food should be kept clean and sanitized. We all do it but consider this -- would you eat a gummy bear that has been in the bottom of your pocket for a week? OK OK so some of you might but most wouldn't. And remember that your knife or multi-tool is often kept in the same pocket, right?

And it is never a good idea to use petroleum or other nasty chemicals/lubes on things that will ever come in contact with food. That's toxic and tastes nasty as well. Also they are almost impossible to get off the item once the chemicals have been used on it.

Cleaning with water means completely drying it to avoid rust and to be sure that lubes stay where they should be. Stainless does not mean rustproof.

Can't recommend dishwasher cleaning because it can be too hot for some steels and almost all handle materials if there are any. Not to mention really ticking off the wife by having loose knife parts snarf up the dishwasher.

Keep them clean in the first place and they're easier to clean when they need it.

If I'm fussy about a knife I'll use small paint brushes to clean out the dust and crud. Otherwise I use clean rags that are used only for the knives.

A good way to avoid the crud from getting in there in the first place is to wash your pants with the pockets turned inside out. No lint in the pocket to being with means it won't get into the knife.
    "Show them a light, and they'll follow it anywhere..."