Care for an SAK

m16a

Enlightened
Ok, I have a Swiss Army Knife Explorer in black, and I was curious, what is the best way to care for the hinges? Would some WD40 work? Or is there some kind of oil I should buy? Any help is appreciated:thumbsup:

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
With high polish surface SAK use it's not necessary to use any oil, but if you insist, anything from baby oil to the $10 for a tiny bottle miracle oil type would do.

diff_lock2

Newly Enlightened
With high polish surface SAK use it's not necessary to use any oil, but if you insist, anything from baby oil to the $10 for a tiny bottle miracle oil type would do.

What about leatherman tools? Like the juice series and the micra.

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
WD40 is NOT oil
It displaces water first and foremost and in my experiences washes out lube. I personally like Tuf Glide, though 3 in 1 works, etc

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast

I don't have one long enough to tell, but I use motor oil on pivot of my knives and multitools. If the knife can be disassembled thou I do that and put antiseize on pivot instead of any oil.

I had a sak for over ten years, never lubed it, and it was used so much the logo fell off and spring on scissor broke, but pivot and backspring was good as new. Sent it in for warrenty and they send back a new one. I didn't know I can just buy the scissor spring or I would've replaced it myself.

WD40 is NOT oil
It displaces water first and foremost and in my experiences washes out lube. I personally like Tuf Glide, though 3 in 1 works, etc
Yes forgot to mention that, WD40 is classified as a solvent, not lubricant.

Last edited:

Dantor

Enlightened
yeah, I would suggest just keep it clean, free of dirt and moisture and it'll last you a long time ;)

nbp

Flashaholic
The knife guy at Cabelas who custom makes knives in his spare time recommended me to use Rem oil (by Remington, for firearms) on blades/hinges. Its cheap and seems pretty nice to me.

Swagger

Newly Enlightened
The method given by Nbp is more appropriate and easy for caring your knife..!!!
So you should try it..!!!

sincity

Newly Enlightened
I use Rem Oil on all of my SAKs.
Just don't over lubricate it, a little goes a long way.
If it's too over oiled, it can attract dirt, dust, pocket lint, etc...

trevordurden

Newly Enlightened

I've seen one of my friend's leatherman waves rust at the hinge pins so I've started cleaning my leatherman skeletool monthly or bi-monthly. My dad (studied tool and die making) said that cooking oil will do.

grimtongue

Newly Enlightened
Cooking oil will become rancid over time. Mineral oil is a better bet for a food safe alternative.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use a wax based lube because it tends to last longer, not allow dirt to get into the joints, and doesn't migrate as much.

Remember though that items used on food should be kept clean and sanitized. We all do it but consider this -- would you eat a gummy bear that has been in the bottom of your pocket for a week? OK OK so some of you might but most wouldn't. And remember that your knife or multi-tool is often kept in the same pocket, right?

And it is never a good idea to use petroleum or other nasty chemicals/lubes on things that will ever come in contact with food. That's toxic and tastes nasty as well. Also they are almost impossible to get off the item once the chemicals have been used on it.

Cleaning with water means completely drying it to avoid rust and to be sure that lubes stay where they should be. Stainless does not mean rustproof.

Can't recommend dishwasher cleaning because it can be too hot for some steels and almost all handle materials if there are any. Not to mention really ticking off the wife by having loose knife parts snarf up the dishwasher.

Keep them clean in the first place and they're easier to clean when they need it.

If I'm fussy about a knife I'll use small paint brushes to clean out the dust and crud. Otherwise I use clean rags that are used only for the knives.

A good way to avoid the crud from getting in there in the first place is to wash your pants with the pockets turned inside out. No lint in the pocket to being with means it won't get into the knife.