Some damascus and mammoth tooth.

T.Rexford

Newly Enlightened
First one out of the new shop for me.

Godspeed model
Chad Nichols Stainless Ladder Pattern Damascus (AEBL/304)
Tapered Tang and Titanium tubes.
Carbon Fiber and Woolly Mammoth Tooth scales.

Mt. Mike Crossdraw sheath.

godspeeddamascusmammothog9.jpg

godspeeddamascusmammothjw0.jpg

godspeeddamascusmammothjv0.jpg

godspeeddamascusmammothaw1.jpg

Hope you guys like it. The mammoth tooth stunk to high heaven as soon as it hit the grinder
smile.gif

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is so awesome. The handle is incredible.

T.Rexford

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys. This one sure was sweet to get out.

From the sheathmaker:
Quick word on the sheath -- it's nicely tapered to provide a good friction fit. The body is horsehide, the belt loop is cowhide.

He did an awesome job (as usual) with it. The fit is perfect.

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its knives like this that drew me away from my flashlight obsession and to my new knife obsession.

Then I figured out that I obsess over each at the same time.

1067.gif

schiesz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mammoth and CF together in a handle. Never seen anything like that, and it sure does look nice. Incredible.

schiesz

Kostoglotov

Newly Enlightened
Excellent work, the Mammoth & Carbon really work well together.

How do/did you fit the scales together?

T.Rexford

Newly Enlightened
For fitting the scales I start with doing the bolsters first. I get the bolster dovetails ground and perfectly matched, all 4 of them. From there the middle insert will be matched to a measured length of where I would like the bolsters to end. Then the dovetail on the middle insert is ground and matched to the bolsters.

Once all that is done I check fit and length. Then i prep the dovetails for epoxy. Once all that is done they get put together. After this I drill the scales. This part can be tricky as the tapered tang means each hole drilled must be at a different angle then 0 degrees. Once that is done they get pinned and epoxied in place and then were off and running :)

T.Rexford

Newly Enlightened
Itorch. Yes I'm a custom maker. Website is in ym sig (sorry I dont update it as much as I should. alotof the blades on there are old).

The sheath is from a custom leather guy here in Woodland Park. He's is an excellent leatherworker.

As far as clamping the bolsters. I use an anaerobic epoxy. Not really an "epoxy" in technical terms but whatever, its extremely strong. Also it sets in about 5 minutes. Because of this I can get away from the multiple clamp setup. Clamps have issues with actual trying to pull dovetailed bolsters on top of each other. What I do is use weights on top and hand pressure on the sides. This way there is no chance of the bolster riding up on top of one another.

On the blade though the pins keep it all together as well as the epoxy. Although I would trust the epoxy alone, hell some of our fighter jet parts are held together with epoxy :)

Bloodnut

Newly Enlightened
T. Rex,
I took the time to log in just so I could post that I REALLY like this knife. The use of mammoth tooth (very old) and CF (space age stuff) is very cool. Fitting all that clearly took a lot of time and must have been tedious. Add to that you used my favorite blade shape/configuration (I really appreciate the deep choil using the "back" of the blade) - and this is a definite winner. What's the OAL and blade length? And if you don't mind me asking, how much does this one go for?

Again, VERY nice work.

drmaxx

Enlightened
The mamoth / damascus knife looks very nice and I imagine a great deal of craftsmanship. But for my taste a little flashy for a knife.

I REALLY like the Santoku kitchen knife on your webpage! Simple clean lines - just looks like a tough but elegant workhorse. Form follows function - harmony in perfection. THAT's a knife I drool over :drool: - but most probably way over my budget:mecry:.

As a non-native English speaker, I am not quite sure how to express my admiration appropriately for your skill of combining craftsmanship and harmony. So blutly: GREAT WORK.