LCD TV for classroom

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
First, we already have a projector.

We are considering the purchase of an LCD TV which will be used for classroom presentation of DVDs and PowerPoint.

Probably 42 inch or so depending on price when we buy. We will also be buying a computer which will be more or less dedicated to the TV.

None of these are in any HDTV format.

A DVD player with upconverting capabilities will probably solve some of what I've read about in terms of picture quality on 1080p or i.

Any suggestions or information based on actual experience?

Distance to the screen from the first row (where the real troublemakers sit) will be about six feet or so.

jezzyp

Enlightened
No class room experience but I have a 40" Sony Bravia in my front room.. Its great and replaced a 14 year old trinitron.

Check the viewing angle if you have a wide class and how it performs with ambient light or if yo have sunlight coming through the windows.
Depends on your budget.

bitslammer

Enlightened
I'd say a 42" is all the bigger you would want with the closest kids sitting 6ft away. I have a 47" LCD and 6ft feels too close in that case.

Check the website of some of the manufacturers. They often provide suggested distances for comfort/enjoyment.

According to: http://www.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/lcdtelevision/4considerations.shtml

• For 20 to 27-inch displays, you should be able to watch comfortably from 2.5 to 5 feet away.
  • For 32 to 37-inch TVs, you should sit back 6 to 8 feet from the screen itself.
  • For 42 to 46-inch TVs, you'll need 10 to 14 feet between you and the screen.
  • 50-inch LCD displays look best when viewed from 12 to 16 feet away.
I have a 47" and a 38" and these numbers seem pretty accurate to my taste.

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
what happened with those laser TV's that were supposed to be out last year?
I searched a bit and all I found were some really big (50" plus) Mitsubishi and Samsung 'DSP' sets some with a 3D feature that require glasses (!?)

the laser sets promised best color and picture ever (and to use 90% of the eye's ability to see in other words, nearly a perfect image..and lowest power consumption and weight..

my bro just got a little Taiwanese (17" or so) $200 set at circuitcity, and the HD digital picture is phenomenal, I supose it must be lcd..

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a good forum to ask in:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/?styleid=12

A lot more resources, reviews, etc.

If you're going to have a dedicated computer involved, you can use it's DVD drive for your player. I'd recommend a 1080p set just so it isn't obsolete in a couple of years. It'll be easy to add a cheap BluRay drive to the computer in a year.

Last edited:

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a good forum to ask in:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/?styleid=12

A lot more resources, reviews, etc.

If you're going to have a dedicated computer involved, you can use it's DVD drive for your player. I'd recommend a 1080p set just so it isn't obsolete in a couple of years. It'll be easy to add a cheap BluRay drive to the computer in a year.

That's what I thought but the chief has indicated that using a computer might be too difficult for some...