Why do i need a flashlight?

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
It has come to my attention, that there are some people... who thought flashlights were not important, or are not worth carrying. Let me ask you something... Do you enjoy seeing things with your eyes? Yes? Ok, if your power goes out, and you cant see anything, does it please you, not being able to see anything? How about a late night trip to walmart or asda for some shopping, and the power goes out and your plunged into complete darkness with no idea whos near you, or if the blackout was a natural power problem, or criminals with guns. You can be anywhere at any time, and the power can go off, it does not matter if you are in the street, at home, at a pub or at a family members house. What are you going to do when you and your family are plunged into sudden darkness? How about your older parents tripping and falling on their face, or the kids screaming because they are scared.. im sure this is not something you want. Im sure most people want to protect their family, so everyone is safe, yet people neglect something so simple as a flashlight. Let me tell you why its easy to stand in the light, so you and the people you care about are safe... There are many types, sizes, shapes, brightness levels, and costs of flashlights. Some flashlights are so cheap, that if you dont have one, you put your family at risk, for the sake of spending $20. Some flashlights are more expencive, have more quirky features. The point is, that You have the responsibility to make sure you and your family are not put at risk because of your reluctance to make an investment, in low cost flashlights. See, some think of flashlights as big cumbersome multi-D cell flashlights.. This is just completely false. You can have flashlights which cost about $20, stick them on your keychain, and never have to worry about what you will do when the time comes. There is a brand of flashlights that i really like, they are called "Fenix", and they have flashlights ranging from low cost, too higher cost, and in sizes that you can put them on a keychain, on a shelf, in your glove box, or in your pocket. For example, in a couple of weeks the Fenix E01 will come out, which takes a single aaa battery, and gives you enough light to be able to survive any black out you may be plunged into, and probably only cost around $20.. and the light you get will last for 20 hours... Also, there are slightly larger flashlights which take a single CR123 lithium battery, which cost around $50, which are so powerful, you can temporarily blind people, and they have different modes of brightness and safty features like SOS and strobe.. and you can stretch the light for about 30 hours on low, or an hour on blistering turbo mode. Do you not see why its important to have some kind of light with you? In my opinion anyone who does not even spend a few dollars on a cheap quality light, puts themselves and their family around them at possible risk. Its those people who regret having light, when they visit their mother at their home, and theres a power outage, and you let her go look for candles and she falls down and cracks her head on the door handle and breaks her hip.. you cant take it all back then.

There are 2 main companies that i think are really good for flashlights, for Europe, i think www.thephotonshop.co.uk is really great, and has helped me with all sorts of information helping me to make the right choice. For the americas www.fenix-store.com they are well known and are on forums helping people with problems.

You dont have to be left in the dark.. Go to these places and ask questions about flashlights, look at what they sell.. It does not cost you to go and look and ask questions. I dont have to tell you to go and buy a light, because im sure if you really sit and think about the whole idea, you can see how useful, and important a purpose it serves, to be able to have light where ever you are. If you can look at a range of good quality flashlights, and sniff at them and had decided to not buy one because you dont need one, then you cant complain when you hurt yourself, or someone near you gets injured because they cant see. Everyone should have light, its why we are active in the day time and less active at night, because our vision is limited in darkness. So instead of being restricted and at risk, go get yourself some information, and look into what light you want to get, and feel secure with your choice.. If you decide to get one, or not, then you have to live with your choice, or make a new choice now to do the right thing.

Please show this to anyone you know, who always laughs at people who have flashlights, and ask them if they care enough to do something right, or if they just dont care about what can happen.

I care enough to share this information with you, so YOU can make a choice you are happy with, while being informed.

Thanks

techwg

pbs357

Enlightened
Cool post techwg!

A lot of people around me don't understand my hobbies, especially the ones revolving around high quality "life tools" or technology. My family was anti-gun, and chastised me regularly about my CCW choice for a long time... UNTIL the day the big bad wolf showed up - in the form of a 6'2" aggressive male, pounding and kicking at the door, trying to break in. That day, the first 3 words out of my mother's, my brother's and sister in law's mouths were "where's your gun?!?" These very same people denounced that tool for years had seen the light. But I enjoy firearms for their mechanics and lineage as much as their utility.

No, we're not waiting for TEOTWAWKI (The End Of The World As We Know It), but if the lights go out, or we're outside at night (which we do get once a day :ohgeez:), or just if it's not real bright where we need to see something, then we are ready. Beyond that, we enjoy the technology, the craftsmanship, the WOW factor, the "oh cool" factor, or even the "this would be good to have" factor, etc, etc. And that's why I carry a light. :thumbsup:

PS - I'm also afraid of the dark. :sick2::thumbsdow:rolleyes::duh2: :crazy: HAHAHA!

Cydonia

Enlightened
I applaud your effort and the writing of this article :thumbsup:
But you should have left it brand name neutral... you know why :rolleyes:
Of course, you know as well as I, there will always be those who can't be reached, can't be convinced and who don't care about having a light or not. Chances are they will sail through life just fine without one :shrug:

Someone once said here, in a similar thread, words to the effect:
"If there is a chance of rain you carry an umbrella... well, there is a 100% chance of it being dark tonight and every night... so why not carry a light of some kind?"

Ray Tseng

Newly Enlightened
I will be honest with myself, this is just an entertainment hobby and I know I really don't need them.
I don't expect to be in any "tactical" situation ever in my lifetime.
I don't live out in the wilderness, and at night, every street where I am at has streetlamps. Even without electricity, I don't live underground. There's plenty of ambient light to get around and a candle problably is more elegent should some light be needed. If anything, using all the newest flashlights that we CPFers own would ruin your night vision and a simple simple lights from 10 years ago technology would satisfy any requirement for light.

But once accepting that this is just a pure entertainment hobby, I am more at peace with myself and happy with my future purchases then trying to torture myself to come up with a rationalization or justification that really doesn't hold water (for me) and having buyer's remorse for wasting cash.

Last edited:

craig333

Newly Enlightened
Aside from work I use a flashlight all the time. Just used one to look in the closet, look behind the computer and look under the dash of the car. Also used it to try and see if that was a tick on the dog or not.

Theres nothing like reaching for a light you normally carry and realizing you don't have one.

Ray Tseng

Newly Enlightened
Aside from work I use a flashlight all the time. Just used one to look in the closet, look behind the computer and look under the dash of the car. Also used it to try and see if that was a tick on the dog or not.

Theres nothing like reaching for a light you normally carry and realizing you don't have one.

To each their own, but my closets have lights, and halogen lights in my house give off up to 500watts(I also have CFLs for most lamps for those energy consious ppl)! Probably will light up the dog just fine! At worse just bring that lamp over and boom 100watts of light. Has anyone done a bounce-test of a flashlight vs. a lightbulb? Let me tell you, the light-bulb wins.

Even my car has courtesy lights that illuminate the footwells when I open the door.
That being said, I do what you do and have fancy flashlghts EDCed and stashed all over the place, and light up random things. Especially for throw and lighting up far away things is entertaining. But at the same time my point is that for me, I recognize that it isn't something that's really "needed" as the doom and gloom sayers OP but it's just a (fun!) hobby.

Last edited:

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
I applaud your effort and the writing of this article :thumbsup:
But you should have left it brand name neutral... you know why :rolleyes:
Of course, you know as well as I, there will always be those who can't be reached, can't be convinced and who don't care about having a light or not. Chances are they will sail through life just fine without one :shrug:

Someone once said here, in a similar thread, words to the effect:
"If there is a chance of rain you carry an umbrella... well, there is a 100% chance of it being dark tonight and every night... so why not carry a light of some kind?"

I like your quote!, as for brand, it just happens to be my favorite brand, and i want to share that info with other people, and the 2 companies that i feel are the best. Just an opinion i can offer people.

Dantor

Enlightened
I grew up in Chicago, lights were everywhere, on everything and I might have had a simple pen light on my keychain (mainly used when visiting outside the city), and that was it.

Sure the lights would go out once in awhile but but we had them dinky/cheapie flashlights in the house, so we used them. So maybe people who say "Why?" and don't need them are in a similar situation, not feeling a great need.

I've moved and it's way darker here, and my need has changed, my mind has changed, I can't get enough!
I think back on it, I could have really been in the "dark" had something really bad happened and I would have been unprepared.

Flashlights today are so inexpensive and small and good and just getting better, maybe views will or are changing and more will be ready...

rizky_p

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dont need flashlight to be honest, but it's this god given hobby that makes me always want to carry one. Oh i think i am cursed! :eek:
Need it or not, i always carry one or two...

geek4christ

Enlightened
Admittedly, almost all of my time is spent in well lit areas so this is definitely just a hobby for me. However, since becoming a flashaholic, I've found more and more situations where it actually is convenient to have a light on my person.

And frankly, I think tactical lights just look cool anyway. I'll be getting one soon :)

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Speaking about tactical lights, im waiting for my Tk10 to come from the photon shop hopefully later today, and from what i am reading and seeing on this forum, it seems like im going to be so thrilled with it compared to my P3D Q5. I am not sure how much the throw is different from the P3D, but from what i guess, larger head = more throw, else there would be no need for the added bulk. SO im sure thats going to replace my p3d and take its place as my EDC.

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me it's a combination of recreation activities, hobbies, and emergencies.

I spend a lot of time outdoors, and when it gets dark, it gets really dark! Also, it's a good insurance for in case there's a power outtage, or any emergencies.

I admit though, even during emergencies and outdoor activities, I don't need a flashlight that generate 200+ lumens. But it's nice to have :twothumbs which is the hobby part.

stitch_paradox

Enlightened
I like your quote!, as for brand, it just happens to be my favorite brand, and i want to share that info with other people, and the 2 companies that i feel are the best. Just an opinion i can offer people.

Sorry to be blunt but your post would be ineffective here, IMO. Your post is really well put, and I give you the credit for that. But, common now, you posted this in the CPF where everyone is addicted to lights, where everyone knows they need lights, and where everyone has lights. I think you should post this to other public sites, you know ... so that you can help enlighten other people. What you said would help a great deal for those who are unenlightened. Also You're endorsing Fenix here, but everyone here knows about Fenix. It would be better if you share this to your family and friends, and show them that they too needs lights. And don't forget to Invite them here at CPF!:wave:

Last edited:

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
To follow up on stitch's comment above, why do you feel you need to convince others they need flashlights?

My family and friends get more than they want already as gifts. Everyone else, it's not my problem... Either they'll guess right and never need them, or if they ever do, then it's likely they'll live through it and maybe remember to carry one next time, or not.

You never know. Maybe I should always be carrying a magifying glass with me (like in the movie Paycheck...), but I don't, because I don't enjoy doing it... Gotta keep a perspective here.

Last edited:

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry to be blunt but your post would be ineffective here, IMO. Your post is really well put, and I give you the credit for that. But, common now, you posted this in the CPF where everyone is addicted to lights, where everyone knows they need lights, and where everyone has lights. I think you should post this to other public sites, you know ... so that you can help enlighten other people. What you said would help a great deal for those who are unenlightened. Also You're endorsing Fenix here, but everyone here knows about Fenix. It would be better if you share this to your family and friends, and show them that they too needs lights. And don't forget to Invite them here at CPF!:wave:

Now that i have made this a post, i can give people the link and let them see why it could be useful to have flashlights, and wham, there already in the right place to get any extra help and information. 2 birds, 1 stone. Thats my methodology. I link to my opening post on one of my videos, beacuse we all know here that flashlights are too handy and useful, and others look down upon it as a geeky thing or useless weight on a keychain. I just want to bring some things to peoples attention.

Latest posts