• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Custom Ring Light by PhotonFanatic

sed6

Enlightened
About four months ago I contacted Fred to discuss the idea of him making a custom light for me. Seeing his Blocky Boy thread really inspired me to go after a light I'd wanted for some time. I used my wedding band as inspiration and envisioned a light that resembled it. Fast forward to last week and I finally have the light I've desired for so long. Below is a pic of the finished light and my wedding band which served as inspiration. Keep reading for more pics and info...

Besides the pic of my wedding band, I provided Fred with a few basic 'sketches' of what I wanted. He took my kindergarten drawings and produced some fantastic illustrations in Solidworks.

It took about a month of back and forth emails to get to a point where I felt confident enough, or I should say before Fred felt confident enough in the design to start cutting metal. In the first pic below you see a practice run Fred did on the logo, the next two show the beginning of the head.

Below is more work on the head and the tapered end.

Below is a shot of the tail end before the logo was engraved. Then with the logo engraved and the finished light before plating.

Voila! Below we have my finished light, finished in a beautiful electroless nickel plating.

The completed light showed up just before my birthday on 3/26. Initially I had hoped to have it for a Christmas gift for myself, but let me tell you there is a lot more to having a custom light made than meets the eye. There seemed to be a thousand choices and changes to be made but Fred was professional during the whole process. I was amazed at the relative ease in which he transformed my ideas into Solidworks and finally into a finished product.

sed6

Enlightened
Here are some of the 'specs' that Fred and I eventually hammered out:

Aluminum body, 24mm in dia and 64mm long (when turned off, screwed tight)
Eight segments around circumference of light, each approx 9.425mm in width (before grooves)
Eight segmented rings down the length of the light, each 8.0mm in height (before grooves)
Each segment to have a 1.5mm dimple in the center from two flute ball
Grooves to be cut 1.5mm wide, with a 90-degree bit having a .005" flat (depth of groove determined by width)
Grooves to follow end bevel on front and rear of light -you'll have to make the logo on the rear a bit smaller in diameter to allow for this
Seoul U binned P4
NG500 converter
KCLP17ST reflector (plus an additional smooth reflector)
UCL or similar lens
Logo engraved in end with 1.5mm ball at approx .55mm depth
Whole thing gets a light sanding to remove tool marks and then polish it to soften the edges, resand the high points to apply a matte finish (circumference only, not the ends), then EN plating
Best effort made to allow grooves on head and body to align when light tightened :)

Last edited:

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its looks awesome!! Now get yourself some diamonds and fill those dimples up!! Ultimate bling-light :devil:...

Illum

Flashaholic
theres a thread about someone who wanted a LED wedding band...I think this would be a good idea

ahh, the possibilities of a vertical mill:grin2:

Gizzy

Newly Enlightened
Absolutely stunning!!:twothumbs

Those divots look brilliant and the logo turned out pretty awesome as well!
I'm guessing its a twisty?

Ah man my Bboy is in the mail, I'm soo pshyched hehe!

Fred~ you rock bro!:rock:

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Scott's light went through numerous small changes as the light build progressed, one of them being that since the light was EN plated, it was discovered that the plating actually had small raised flecks of nickel on it, leaving the surface somewhat uneven. Scott chose to have me polish it, and the result as seen above is quite nice.

However, the original request was for a matte surface on the blocks, with a shiny surface on the dimples. And that is what I sent to the plating company, but, alas, as I said, the surface needed to be polished smooth due to the irregularities in the finish.

A custom builder gets to live with, and often becomes quite attached to, the lights as he builds them. This light, which I called the Bad *** Blocky Boy, was one of those--I still wish it were mine. :shakehead

For me, photographing the light and sending pics to the customer is half the fun. Here is my favorite one--with the matte surface from sanding, just prior to going to the plater:

BABBVerticalSanded.jpg

I only wish I had aligned the head and battery tube better. :D

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
HOOOOOO DOGGY, that's a HOT photo there, Fred!!! :twothumbs And for that matter, a HOT light!!!! :eek:oo:

Thanks for posting the photos and review, Scott! I hope your lovely bride likes the lights as well! :D

john

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dude the pre-coating picture is even better!! Can anyone say titanium version?? WOW

sed6

Enlightened
I want to add that I've decided to EDC this light. I've been carrying a Fenix P1D and this light is just a bit bigger. I rides safely in my coin pocket of my dress pants. I decided I couldn't have such a beautiful custom light and just let it literally live in my safe. I pull it out and show it off every opportunity I get.

Last edited:

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I want to add that I've decided to EDC this light. I've been carrying a Fenix P1D and this light is just a bit bigger. I rides safely in my coin pocket of my dress pants. I decided I couldn't have such a beautiful custom light and just let it literally live in my safe. I pull it out and show it off every opportunity I get.

Scott,
Shall I send you some business cards to pass out, too? :crackup:

Glad to hear it is seeing the light of day.

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
lyrrag,

Well, first off, this particular design was done for Scott only, so anything similar will have to be slightly different, either a different size, different dimple pattern, etc.

If such a light were machined on CNC machines at a shop, then the cost would be something around $130 to $160, much as the Blocky Boy was.

Custom-made lights can be twice to three times the amounts above, or more if Ti is chosen.

lyrrag

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the reply would it be around $130 to $,160 for a light without any dimples, and would it include the LE, reflector, and lens?

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
lyrrag,

A mass-produced light similar to the custom made one for Scott, could retail as a complete light within that price range. I just wanted to be clear that I couldn't make an exact copy of Scott's design, but, sure it could be close, including the dimples.