Opinions sought on my first "real" sword I just purchased...

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi guys:

I had one of those rare ebay opportunities to lay my grimy hands and handle the sword before bidding on an item, and the sword felt stable, balanced and within minutes I had developed this 'connection' with it... like I was this ancient Japanese warrior and the village swordsmith had just custom made this sword for me to take into battle the next morning.

I know enough that sword making is somewhat of a blackart/science from centuries of experience, and that 95% of the Chinese swords sold on ebay are nothing more than modified butter knives meant to look all badass hangin on a wall or display... but would snap in two if the enemy so much as glared at it wrong.

However, being the sole breadwinner of the family at the moment, there's no way I can afford a Coldsteel, Hanwei or better yet, a Walter Sorrells custom forged.

So I had to settle for something affordable but safe for live cutting should the need arise. I purchased a Global Gear G-901B CHIKARA SPRING STEEL CLAY TEMPERED KATANA.

Here's a short video about the strength of the G-900 series blades.

Has anyone had any first hand experience with this sword or the swordsmith? All I know is that they are based in China and they have been producing swords for years but marketing them under the various retailer's generic brands.

Any words of advice/warning/caution/experiences for a newbie sword collector?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
If the sword is differentially heat-treated, it should at least be okay.... as far as functionality goes.

Hanwei is far better than ColdSteel. (See above for the main reason why).

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Lynn Thompson has that effect on people.

But yeah, the swords that carry the ColdSteel name are made by various unknown companies. And if they were differentially heat-treated, Thompson would advertise that info.

With Hanwei, you know the swords are properly heat-treated.... and you know who makes them.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
If that sword can make you into an ancient samurai warrior then you'd be a fool to pass it up!

But even more telling is what you said about how it felt in your hands and for that price it doesn't look like too bad a deal to me.

Assuming you're the one that won the auction, give us a review of it here when you get to spend some more time with it.