3-level LED headlight (scroll for pics)

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
3-level LED headlight - scroll for pics and beamshots!

I made one. It's sweet. It's a 6*3*.75in block of aluminum bored out to fit 10 DX6090 modules and 10 8˚ optics. It's at least 1500 lm otf and draws 48W on high (but at 6V, I don't have a suitable bench 12V ps), including all converter losses. I suppose I could switch the emitters to 1000mA buckpucks someday, but part of this project is that it's built totally with off-the-shelf parts.

The three modes are 4 modules, six modules, and high is all 10.

Last edited:

mossdabomb

Newly Enlightened
Re: 3-level LED headlight

I would love to have the reflectors, have a few projcts going right now.
Please shoot me a pm

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast

The front
Photo0154sm.jpg

The back
Photo0155sm.jpg

DRL
Photo0156sm.jpg

Low beam
Photo0157sm.jpg

High beam
Photo0158sm.jpg

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast

Beamshots?

Sweet setup- why did you choose the 8' optics over the stock reflectors? (apart from the obvious "so I don't have to put a glass window in front").

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast

Beamshots?

Sweet setup- why did you choose the 8' optics over the stock reflectors? (apart from the obvious "so I don't have to put a glass window in front").

The optics throw better, are more efficient, and are smaller. I also like the way the scotch tape, when laid vertically, diffuses the light in a short, wide pattern. It's perfect for this purpose. I hope that either the tape (or the acrylic for that matter) can withstand the UV from constantly being outside or that I can hit the optics vertically with 220 paper for the same effect.

Beamshots are tough for me because I don't have a tripod.

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast

Which optics did you use? I've looked on DX for something similar, but can't find anything.

Thanks!

How do you intend to keep the light oriented downwards, out of other drivers' eyes? Those look like standard flashlight optics, you'll need some kind of specialized optics or guards to block the upper part of the beam.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast

Which optics did you use? I've looked on DX for something similar, but can't find anything.

Thanks!

It's the 10pk from KD.

As for orientation, the beam is pretty short, because of the tape. There's not much light above the spot.

goose

Newly Enlightened
If i may ask you for some info.. How much a set up like this would cost??? Do you have a pic of the light to see how well it lights up the road in front??? The set up looks very intresting if i would mount it on a motorcycle with a mercury switch. The idea is that when i lean to a sorten deg the mercury switch would turn the light on that side to light the turn... I got no idea if that would be possible or not but your light looks awsome.

Alex

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
If i may ask you for some info.. How much a set up like this would cost??? Do you have a pic of the light to see how well it lights up the road in front??? The set up looks very intresting if i would mount it on a motorcycle with a mercury switch. The idea is that when i lean to a sorten deg the mercury switch would turn the light on that side to light the turn... I got no idea if that would be possible or not but your light looks awsome.

Alex

I spent about $140, but I also bought two drill bits and a tap.

I don't have any beamshots because I need to build a suitable battery holder. I used two radioshack 4AA holders, but 8 Eneloops started to melt them, so I'm in the process of building something with lower resistance.

As far as mounting something like this on a vehicle, I'm not going to use mine for street driving and neither should you. Using non-DOT-legal or non-ECE compliant lights is very dangerous and raises serious liability issues should an accident result.

goose

Newly Enlightened
Could you post the place you purchesed the parts and what part # are they??? I still find it very intresting.. Thanks

goose

Newly Enlightened
thanks LukeA i never build LED lights so i dont know if i could build it as of yet lol Had a guy on a MTB i showed him the set up and he loves it...

Alex

goose

Newly Enlightened
I noticed that the lights have there own reflector. Did you remove it to install the other reflector ??? I know those Q might be realy basic and something that everyone knows but i never build any LED lights so i realy dont know.. Thanks for your help.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I noticed that the lights have there own reflector. Did you remove it to install the other reflector ??? I know those Q might be realy basic and something that everyone knows but i never build any LED lights so i realy dont know.. Thanks for your help.

Those are optics, and yes, I removed the stock reflectors. Each LED has its own optic because the threads that would hold the reflector on in a normal configuration are being used to hold the LED modules in the plate. The optics fit in the plate and the 8-degree optics make a nice tight beam.

Last edited: