Meet the "Ugga's" ugly as sin, tough as hell

ktronik

Enlightened
Meet the "Ugga" family, ugly as sin, tough as hell

I made a few, super cheap & easy to build DIY LED bike lights for a downhiller friend of mine, he wanted something tough & bright & err, really cheap....so when he ate dust, it did not cost him to much. He also wanted to see into the corners. With great air cooling while downhilling, this was the result.

uggafam.jpg

ugga4pack.jpg

ugga6pack.jpg

On the front is a lexan perspex lens to handle the stones & rocks. they clamp to the bar or the 2 pack is mounted on the head.

If you have a low budget & need a good bike light to get around, this is a quick & easy way to do it.

2 pack: DX Q5 Cree + Kia 10 Deg reflector , DX AMC/1400ma LDO driver, (track cut for 2/ 700ma outputs) 4.8v Nimh subC battery.
& : (same as above) + Kia Driver, 11.1v Li-po battery.

4 pack: DX Q5, 2 Kia step down drivers, 11.1v Li-po battery.

& for me,

6 pack:14.4v Li-po batt, Cutter Q5 + Kia 10 Deg reflector, Maxflex 2.0, set @ 1.2A, (per LED) w Auto switched, dynamo input, from a 'Martin' auto switcher 6 LED dyno circuit. for 24hr racing or cycle commuting. This one goes in my commuting bike...or on the race bike for night rides.

For really fast downhill runs the 1.2A setting on the Maxflex really helps, as you only need it for short periods of time, its not a huge drain on the battery.

The Maxflex 2.0 is a great driver, & was the natural choice for this app. It has a bar mounted remote & red LED built in to the end of the power plug. As the LED & remote switch go back to ground the wiring was really easy. With all the kool functions of the Maxflex & the choice of a separate dynamo input, I was really happy with this cheap hack up.

Enjoy

Ktronik

Last edited:

znomit

Enlightened
Fantastic work! They look bombproof.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Those Kai optics are great value, a buck each. I'm choking on 8$ polymer optics right now.

n4zou

Newly Enlightened
I used a standard outdoor waterproof aluminum electrical outlet box. No fancy machining and welding required. I also added a couple of copper straps so the housing would work as a heat sink as well.
tourlight.jpg

It's dynamo powered so a blinkie lets others see me when I'm stopped. There is clear plastic between the lenses and enclosure cover to keep it waterproof.
light.jpg

15X30 and 10 degree lens and holders mounted to copper heat sink.
light4.jpg

Perf board for 4 1N5818 diodes forming a bridge rectifier and 1000uF capacitor. You can also see the copper straps to sink heat to the aluminum enclosure.

ktronik

Enlightened
Went over to a mates house with the 6 pack, showed him the light in the back yard...now he wants a 6 pack, he rides with the downhiller guy...

So for him we are going to try:

6/ cutter R2 cree
Maxflex 2.0
2/ 6.6v / 4600mA/hr A123 packs wired series for driving the Maxflex, charged in parallel with 2 fast charges.

will see how it goes...

K

Last edited:

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting. I've homebrewed myself a couple of sets of lights, and wish I found out about lithium cells earlier! Cheaper, more capacity and lighter >.<

ktronik

Enlightened
Interesting. I've homebrewed myself a couple of sets of lights, and wish I found out about lithium cells earlier! Cheaper, more capacity and lighter >.<

For racing the A123 lithium batts have a 15min fast charge & are safer for crashing...:D

the normal li-po / li-ion have more capacity so lighter but less safe if badly treated...

K

dom

Enlightened
Hey Ktronik
Good name and well executed design -can't get much simpler than that:thumbsup:

What charger you use for the 123's and what mounts are you using?

Cheers
Dom

ktronik

Enlightened
Hey Dom,

I was looking @ the HYPERSONIC stuff but wondering if it looked a bit on the cheap side... any idea's?

I used good old resin reflector clamps for now...

The ugga is a real 'blank canvas', great for prototyping different idea's...the battery / dyno hybrid was a real simple idea that worked really well...I just couldn't decide to go dyno or battery so in the end I had both...

Could even do a 6 pack with 3 battery & 3 dyno @ the same time...

I will post better pic on the bike real soon...

K

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
They look great ktronik! I would love to make something like that some time.

Are the reflectors in the 6pack all pointing straight forward or are some of them pointing outwards to see around corners better?
Either way not a bad piece of kit.

Thanks

ktronik

Enlightened
@ this stage no, but I like the idea!! could have some 'wedges' underneath the star for more angle...

Zomit did something close, where he had little wings angling the LEDs...

Might have a few spare blanks if people want to play...

They look great ktronik! I would love to make something like that some time.

Are the reflectors in the 6pack all pointing straight forward or are some of them pointing outwards to see around corners better?
Either way not a bad piece of kit.

Thanks

Last edited:

foolioGrimz

Newly Enlightened
hey ktronik, what size aluminum did you use to make these? I've looked at local hardware stores but they only have up to 1/8 available. Are they welded or jb weld?