Converting surefire C3 and p6 to LED questions...

quantico

Newly Enlightened
Hello helpful flashlight people. I have been lurking around from time to time for years... thought I was a member some years ago, but can't recall my old user name... so I joined again last month. I have a couple questions about converting a surefire C3 and a couple P6's over to LED using the P60L LED module from surefire. The P6's are stock 65 lumen units using lithium batteries and should be 85 lumen's with the improved led lamp assemblies I ordered today. However the same P60L module is listed as being the correct part for my C3. Since the C3 uses three batteries in series the 9 volts will be a bit high and wasted voltage ??? since it won't be any brighter am I missing something in the third cell being a blank conductive battery shell ??? or what is the deal ? I did not see any reference to that effect at surefire's web site.

I also think that I might not really like the C3 going to 85 lumens since I use the optional 91 lamp assembly that is running 200 lumens if I am not mistaken. So I might convert two of my P6's to led and leave the C3 as a standard lamp.

I ordered several tenergy RCR123A batteries from battery junction. If you have comments on that setup I would love to hear what you think of using them in a rechargeable setup... not sure what the reduced battery capacity will yield for run time 900 vs 2300 MAH rating I believe.

Thanks for any info...

nzgunnie

Enlightened
The P60L will run on either 6V or 9V.

Running it on 9V wont make it any brighter, but I think it increases the run time.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
If You did not follow the evolution on led-technology especially last 1.5 years, You will be very surprised.

imho a Fenix P3D will blow You away (compared what the led-inserts do).
more runtime on brighter high, multilevel, way smaller and easier to pocket (less diameter and edges)

USM0083

Enlightened
The P60L will run on either 6V or 9V.

Running it on 9V wont make it any brighter, but I think it increases the run time.

Total runtime will not increase much, but the output in regulation will be longer, meaning it will remain brighter longer before output drops off.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
There are LED drop-ins that have over 200 Lumen at the LED, some might have around 200 lumen out the front(probably a Malkoff, Dereelight, or some drop-in that driver the LED at 1.2amp and up). The P60L is more runtime oriented so you get a good runtime at a good output.

The RCR123 would give you a shorter runtime but you get rechargeable in exchange.

Almost all of the P60 drop-ins have some sort of driver that regulates the current/voltage to the LED. The P60L would not burn off the extra voltage in heat, it would decrease the current draw from the battery(at a higher voltage) so the input power (and LED output) stays constant.

roadie

Enlightened
i jus got myself a Fenix T1, which automically replaces my aging Surefire D3 with the P91 bulb.

why i didnt wait for the upgrades by surefire?

why wait when there's better options these days .... compare to half a decade ago ...

Pound for pound, the runtime and beam is increased when using the LEDs technology ....

I think i am really beginning to show more interests in this directions (non halogen/xenon) for any future purchase, are u?

:sssh: