CPFReviews.com: LRI Photon Rex Micro Light - Review

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
LRI Photon Rex Micro Light
provided for review by LRI

General Description:
LRI Photon Rex Micro Light is next generation rechargeable Lithium Ion battery based LED flashlight with a row of 4 LED's inline array. The four premium binned LED's make Rex extremely bright for its size. Photon Rex is similar to Photon Freedom and Photon X-Light Micro in some ways; in fact Rex is an enhancement to previous product lineup and shares Freedom UI features. What's unique about the Photon Rex is its ability to recharge from commonly available batteries. For instance a standard AA alkaline battery or a D size alkaline battery will be sufficient to recharge Photon Rex. This is mainly because Photon Rex has special inbuilt recharging circuitry. Build quality wise, the ABS plastic body offers great wear and tear resistance. LED's are protected by shields on either side of inline array. LRI Photon Rex uses premium Nichia GS LED's.The switch is made of glow in the dark soft touch rubber material. The entire LED array works in conjunction with Freedom UI features that include variable brightness, different signal modes and SOS mode. The rechargeable battery is capable of charging up to 500 times, which means if you charge your Photon Rex Micro Light twice a week, you would not need a service replacement for more than 4 years! This is just incredible. Imagine using a flashlight without replacing batteries for 4 years. Thanks to the high efficiency rechargeable Li-Ion battery. That's the LRI's commitment to environment. Future accessories will include a solar panel recharging device as well as a USB port re-charger.
More...

A few pictures :)

I will add more information as I progress...

Last edited:

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: CPFReviews.com: LRI Photon Rex Micro Light - Preview

Very very nice photos! I have the Rex light and I love it. It is surprisingly bright. The only thing I don't really like is the GITD button ... maybe it's just me, but it feels kinda cheap. I'm just nitpicking here.

hopkins

Enlightened

Price info:
New! Photon ReX Li-Ion Rechargeable Micro-Light
[Keychain LED Flashlights]
Price: $29.95
Sale Price: $26.20
You Save $3.75 - yippee!!
Think I need help getting excited about a Li-ion rechargable 'keychain' light
with so many features except if it explodes in the pants pocket of
the guy who took my parking spot tonight. Maybe not...:naughty:

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast

Price info:
New! Photon ReX Li-Ion Rechargeable Micro-Light
[Keychain LED Flashlights]
Price: $29.95
Sale Price: $26.20
You Save $3.75 - yippee!!
Think I need help getting excited about a Li-ion rechargable 'keychain' light
with so many features except if it explodes in the pants pocket of
the guy who took my parking spot tonight. Maybe not...:naughty:

For the price of $26.20, it's a good buy.

Prior to posting review, I have been carrying around the light for about 50 days...almost two months before forming an opinion. (one of the reasons my reviews are always 'out of pace' and 'late')

:D the battery didn't explode... :nana:

But on a rather serious note, the reports of exploding batteries are mostly due to their misuse, overcharging or shorting.

LRI Photon Rex Micro Light I think has got inbuilt protection at the basic level. For instance, if you short the micro charging terminals, there is no current flow.

Physically, battery is well encased and protected by the flashlight body. So unless it's run over by something really heavy that will crush the flashlight, it's relatively safe to go. I had dropped Rex Light quite a few times, but other than micro scratches, nothing really happened to it.

The LED shields worked very well protecting the LED's. In some of the pictures you might be able to see the micro scratches.

Last edited:

hopkins

Enlightened

Thanks Viren - and I agree it looks very nice. Mode city is cool!
how long will it run on hi till it dims? Runtime numbers if you have them?
Beam shots?? side by side to any other light for comparison.
Is it worth the $$$ ?:thinking::thinking::thinking:

Was just thinking it'd be a great deal for $6. But for $26 I'd have to be off my
meds to buy it (if I was on any). or just got the paycheck and then I'd buy it
for sure. Looks neat.
Like all of us CPF'ers can"t have enough lights:p

cheers!
hopkins

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast

Those are some of the best pictures I have seen of the ReX yet. I carry mine with me every day. I think this is a fantastic little light and I like it a lot. Being able to ramp up brightness from an extremely low low is a great feature for when navigating around the house or in a hotel room at night.

It sure can put out a lot of light when needed but runtime will be significantly reduced do to limitations with battery capacity. I did an unscientific runtime by adjusting the brightness down to the level of a 3 LED Princeton Attidude (which has 4 AAA batteries) and it ran for 2.5 hours.

Another runtime I did was to adjust the ReX output down to the medium setting on my Fenix LOD Q4 (using a NiMh) and it ran for 1 hour. On high the ReX puts out about as much light as the LOD Q4 on high with a NiMh. It is a very versital and cool little light.

todo

Newly Enlightened

I've been carrying a Rex since they came out in November. I carry it on a thin black string lanyard 24/7 around my neck.

On high it puts out nearly as much light as an LODce, and we all know that's plenty enough for just about everything. The best light is the one you always have with you and thats the beauty of carrying a light around your neck. Now before the Rex I was carrying a Photon Freedom on lanyard, although bright for their size the Freedoms have their limitations and battery changes are a bit annoying.

The Rex on a lanyard is no compromise at all its as capable as an LODce, IMO, I use mine all the time. And the recharging capability is the icing on the cake. If you're a flashaholic and like having a light on you 24/7 the Rex can't be beat.

Last edited:

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast

I just took some beam shots... have to process them.... will post in some moments...

Runtime test is scheduled this week...

And the recharging capability is the icing on the cake. If you're a flashaholic and like having a light on you 24/7 the Rex can't be beat.
+1

click

Newly Enlightened

You can find them cheaper, paid $22-24 for my two. They have replaced all my Photon II's and Freedom's. The Rex is an outstanding keychain/pocket light, very bright and the dim feature that is very useful. Absolutely love the fact it's rechargable, I don't have to fool with changing bateries, I keep her topped off so I don't get left in the dark.

As for the GITDB, I thought it was neat. It will also "back glow" through the led's too. :naughty:

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast

The Glow in the dark button is really useful.
IMG_0694_LRI_Photon_Rex_Glow.jpg

IMG_0691_LRI_Photon_Rex_Glow.jpg

And Here are the beam shots ..... Will do comparative beam shots with other Photon lights a little later....

Photon_Rex_BeamShots_Combined.jpg

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast

Cool shot of the ReX glowing!

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast

I thought it was a DS? Have they upgraded again to the two die GS?

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic

The Glow in the dark button is really useful.
IMG_0694_LRI_Photon_Rex_Glow.jpg

IMG_0691_LRI_Photon_Rex_Glow.jpg

And Here are the beam shots ..... Will do comparative beam shots with other Photon lights a little later....

Photon_Rex_BeamShots_Combined.jpg

In all fairness ViReN, it should be noted the button does not charge that brightly with normal usage, only if your consciously holding it up to another light source to charge it. If you're using your ReX for this and that in normal lighting and place it in a totally dark room, it is nowhere near that bright.

todo

Newly Enlightened

The charge plug for the Rex is a bit fiddly, it works in stock form but can be troublesome to make contact, at least my 2 Rex's were.

I trimed the plastic collar flush with the magnet. Now it snaps into place very easy.

*caution* doing this enables you to connect backwards ie reverse polarity, to ensure I get it right I have a small white dot on the light and one on the charger, to align correctly.

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast

In all fairness ViReN, it should be noted the button does not charge that brightly with normal usage, only if your consciously holding it up to another light source to charge it. If you're using your ReX for this and that in normal lighting and place it in a totally dark room, it is nowhere near that bright.

You are prefectly right TIN. The picture is over exposed and is charged with UV LED Array :D I will mention this fact in review

Will add picture of Glow Button being charged solely by LED's.

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast

Here are the new Glow Pictures
5 Seconds after switching off the Rex Light Micro. (not in total darkness)
IMG_0800_LRI_Photon_Rex_Glow.jpg

After 5 minutes (in total darkness) same shutter speed as above.
IMG_0802_LRI_Photon_Rex_Glow.jpg

BigD64

Enlightened

I've been a fan of the Rex since it came out. It's perfect clipped to the zipper of a jacket. I love the fact that you can instantly choose to use it at full brightness or ramp it up from low without going to full brightness. Charging it is a little tricky but easy once you get used to it. Recharging it from a rechargeable AA costs next to nothing. I use it when I need it and have only had to charge it 3 times since December. It's a great backup to my E1B Backup which is a backup for my Malkoff M60 G2. Between these 3 lights 99% of uses are covered.

iTorch

Newly Enlightened

Can someone put it next to a ruler or a well known light for a physical size comparison?

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic

Thanks ViReN. I always look forward to your reviews because you give the product some time to actually be used, as opposed to most of us that post opinions an hour after receiving the product.