Uniqe Titanium
Page 13 of 27 FirstFirst ... 36789101112131415161718192023 ... LastLast

Thread: Things I've learned the hard way . . .(Part 2)

Default Re: Things I've learned the hard way . . .(Part 2)

Quote Originally Posted by chmsam View Post
    Remember the old quote -- "Never try to invent something that is idiot proof. They'll just come up with a bigger and better idiot."
    certainly sounds familiar
    I thought the saying went like "it is impossible to make anything idiot-proof, because idiots are so damn clever"

either way, I know what your talking about

Quote Originally Posted by Illum View Post
    ...even a baby knows only the triangle peg goes in the triangle hole
    You are assuming that every adult in the world has a higher intellect than that of a normal baby.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

Crackup Re: Things I've learned the hard way . . .(Part 2)

Quote Originally Posted by Monocrom View Post
    You are assuming that every adult in the world has a higher intellect than that of a normal baby.
    Better to make a polite mistake then something else...
    If I assumed this assumption is false prior to placing such an assumption in writing, I would be simultaneously condemning the American education system

The American public school system stinks . . . I bet I'm not the only one who learned that fact the hard way.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

Never test drive/ride/etc something you cannot afford to buy.

When you graduate from high school you've been trained to do absolutely nothing except menial, manual labor. They do not even teach the basics that are needed to get by in the business world.

The schools leave it up to the parents to teach things like money management, taxes, and ethics. If the parent does not know it, the young adults do not learn it.

It is no wonder that so many adults can not figure out why it's a bad idea to purchase a house with a sub-prime mortgage. Too many don't understand why it's better to make so much money that they reach a higher tax bracket.

If you have teenagers, teach them NOW how to save money. Let them balance your checkbook. Let them figure out a budget, and how to reconcile it when it does not work out. Explain why credit cards will drain their resources.

They should not have to learn these things the hard way.

Daniel </end of rant>
    ================================================== =
    I have got to plan my procrastination better!

Quote Originally Posted by Illum View Post
    I've always wondered why they can't design an insert that goes in the fuel port that can be differentiated between regular gas...I mean gee...even a baby knows only the triangle peg goes in the triangle hole
    They did it with Avgas - Look up a Hoover Nozzle - Named after Bob Hoover. Seems he came up with it after a "Line Boy" fueled his Shrike Commander with Jet Fuel vs Avgas - He had enough fuel to make it to the end of the runway

I got to see him fly once - I won't forget it
    73 de KG2V
    My Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com/
    Hompage: http://www.thegallos.com
    You are what you do when it counts - The Masso

Quote Originally Posted by Launch Mini View Post
    Never test drive/ride/etc something you cannot afford to buy.
    did you manage to lock it in third gear?

gadget lover is right.

He also reminded me of how I learned to only use my credit cards for emergencies, a rare night out to a fancy restaurant, or for buying an item that I really want; and that I already know I can truly afford.

It was all easy for me . . . because my best friend of 20 years made a lot of the common mistakes many folks make when it comes to credit cards. I learned those lessons the easy way because he learned them the hard way.

gadget lover is right.
    As usual.

It was all easy for me . . . because my best friend of 20 years made a lot of the common mistakes many folks make when it comes to credit cards. I learned those lessons the easy way because he learned them the hard way.
    Had this happen for me as well. My parents didn't teach me diddly about managing my finances(probably because they couldn't manage their own), but a buddy of mine got his first credit card at 18 and was $50k() in debt on his credit cards alone two years later. I have NO idea why companies kept issuing him credit cards.

That said, I use my credit card for EVERYTHING. I keep an iron fist of control on what I spend, and pay it off in full every couple of weeks. I haven't paid a penny in interest on it, but I keep turning in my rewards points for cash.

Today's lessons learned the hard way were computer related.

Number one: When solving a problem with the uninstall-and-reinstall method, double check that you actually HAVE the program to reinstall. I thought I did, I was holding the USB thumb drive with the program(in this case my cellular broadband driver) on it in my hand when I clicked "uninstall." What I didn't know was that said USB thumb drive was fubar'd and useless. Luckily I was able to use the lappy to download the driver and put it on another thumb drive.

Lesson two: Any bit of data worth saving is worth saving twice, or preferably three times, and at least one of those times off-site.
    Got Biodiesel?

When aiming a fly with a rubber band it will do you no good to look down the sights and let go of the rubber band from the hand farthest from you, or else...
    WHAP!

I am thankful to have worn my glasses

Enlightened

Bicycle steering fork bearings will fall on the garage floor never to be seen again

Discovered this while out in the backyard tonight testing my latest build...

Mice have no appreaciation whatsoever for a Cree XP-G R4 running at 1.4A and powered by a Li-Ion cell.

Ingrateful little buggers...

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_Bomber View Post
    ...Any bit of data worth saving is worth saving twice, or preferably three times, and at least one of those times off-site.
    Amen to that, DieselBomber. After getting burned several times, I've gotten a little obsessive about making multiple backups of important data and keeping them in separate places.

I am old-fashioned in a lot of my ways. I keep nothing important on my computer. The only way I'm losing data is if a sadistic sonamabich breaks into my apartment, and holds me hostage while burning my important papers in front of me.

If data on your comp is indeed that important, invest in a decent printer, print it out, and store that somewhere safe.
    Last edited by Monocrom; 05-15-2010 at 11:54 PM. Reason: Typo.

Flashaholic*

Wish I could do that. CAD models and software make that a rather painful proposition though.
    Finning does help dissipate heat. This is why the fins are removed before cooking fish. Otherwise it will throw off the heat and not reach the proper cooking temperature. --Duglite

Quote Originally Posted by leeholaaho View Post
    Bicycle steering fork bearings will fall on the garage floor never to be seen again
    just about any bearing dropped on the garage floor will go missing, but the first place to look is the drain trap in the garage. that is usually the lowest point on that slab.

...snip...
    That said, I use my credit card for EVERYTHING. I keep an iron fist of control on what I spend, and pay it off in full every couple of weeks. I haven't paid a penny in interest on it, but I keep turning in my rewards points for cash.

...snip....
    Hehehe - You know my trick

I will admit to having paid interest on a credit card - 4 months total in 25-30 years of having a card - all 4 times when a MAJOR unexpected bill came up, and all discressionary spending STOPPED until the card was paid (the next month)
    73 de KG2V
    My Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com/
    Hompage: http://www.thegallos.com
    You are what you do when it counts - The Masso

1) You have to commit changes in PL/SQL otherwise you loose hours of work.
    2) You don't have to commit changes in MySQL... there is no going back after a DROP.
    3) You can't solder a copper pipe to a soda can with a propane torch.
    4) Don't use a propane torch in an unventilated basement on a wooden workbench.
    5) Hydrochloric acid kills your mom's garden.

On a more serious note...
    6) Don't kill yourself trying to please everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by lunchboxtheman View Post
    6) Don't kill yourself trying to please everyone.
    its worse than that actually...they won't let you to be killed and will do everything to revive you long after you've given up because they can't find another worker that'll please them

Nothing good can be expected to come from unexpected phone calls received after 9pm.
    Got Biodiesel?

Nothing good can be expected to come from unexpected phone calls received after 9pm.

we've had random "survey" call in after 10PM, my neighbor was away and his along with a whole line of houses down the road was vandalized that night by a truckload of people who somehow knew who was and was not home

For now I have only searchlights, if things like this persist I'm going to install a weapon mount on a window frame of one of my swing out windows facing the front

The accuracy of your statement is inversely proportional to the aggressiveness with which you defended it.
    McGizmo Haiku Review Mac's Tri EDC Review MY LIGHTS!! McGizmo: Get It, Use It, Love It. Why buy a cheap bright light when a dim expensive one will do?

Quote Originally Posted by nbp View Post
    The accuracy of your statement is inversely proportional to the aggressiveness with which you defended it.
    Along those lines: "Crow is a dish best eaten warm. The colder it gets, the harder it is to swaller." Read that line in a book of Texan witticisms when I was young and knew all that was worth knowing, and didn't appreciate the true wisdom of it for many years.

I try to admit I'm wrong as soon as I realize I am.
    Got Biodiesel?

For Sale: parachute.

Used only once, never opened. Small stain.

I never stained my parachute, but I did stain my jumpsuit once when I went below 500 feet at terminal!

My brother had to sell his parachute after learning that if you're going to jump from a chopper with a fast falling chute, at least have the foresight to ask how much different it is from plane jumping.

He hit the asphalt at about 45mph and no one, including the doctors who fought to keep him for 3 days thought he'd make it. No more jumping for him...
    Marduke - Solitaire...I've seen matches which are brighter AND have a longer runtime. 光陰矢の如し

Even a thirty-plus year old ratty red towel that has been washed thousands of times,
    when put in with your new tighty-whities will turn them pink.

Oh, it just happened.
    Last edited by Flashlight Aficionado; 05-26-2010 at 06:32 PM.
    If you don't use a flashlight, you'll probably fall off a cliff, get hurt, or die - Hooked on Fenix
    CPF: Because 6-figure illumination just isn't enough. - maxa beam
    As a backup to my backup to back up my backup's backup. - Roger999

I have pink caving gloves because I washed them with a 10 m length of red webbing. I knew the red stuff wasn't colour fast, too.
    No, a torch does not always mean flames.
    Ian.
    LED Driver List - now database driven and with new search features.

Some people think they're more important in this world than they really are. If one of those individuals is your boss, it's usually better to stroke their pathetic egos; rather than explain a situation in a rational manner.