SYSMAX Ind./Clike to find more about Nitecore flashlights!
Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 12345678912 ... LastLast

Thread: Things I've learned the hard way . . .(Part 2)

Default Re: Things I've learned the hard way . . .(Part 2)

Corporate life took a downward slide for workers when the "Personnel Department" was changed to "Human Resources"
    Yea, I have a lot of lights.
    I always need one more...

No matter how rosy the stockholder reports are, you can generally tell the company is going down the tubes when the tiolet paper in the mens room is changed to "industrial grade single ply".

There's a joke there about the bottom line, but I won't go there.

Daniel
    ================================================== =
    I have got to plan my procrastination better!

Flashaholic*

If someone rear-ends you at a red light, write down his plate number firs thing, before he makes a break for it.
    "Old LEDs never die, they just fade away."

Quote Originally Posted by chmsam View Post
    The lighter the color of the dog's fur and the more expensive the groomer, the more likely said dog will head directly for the darkest and smelliest pile of whatever in the yard, and the more immediately after getting home from said expensive groomer said dog will do that I had a friend who could tell you all about this. Do you now what a Samoyed looks like?
    Yes, and I've been lucky enough to see one after a mud bath. Underneath all that fur is a much smaller dog than you'd think.

But that reminded me of another lesson: if you are getting a dog, get one that is small enough for you to carry. I recently saw a neighbor struggling up the stairs with his golden retriever, who had hurt his paw. They live on the second floor, and our house does not have an elevator. (We live on the 4th floor, but our dog is only 8 kg.)

Corollary, but perhaps more importantly: get a dog small enough that, if necessary, you can wrestle it to the ground and keep it there. Ever seen a small woman try to control an agitated rottweiler? The dog will go where it wants to go and drag her along on the ground. Not a pretty sight.

Don't trust car salesmen or their ads. Their ads promise a good car at a decent price. When you get to the dealership or sale, they pull the ol' bait and switch. The car advertised is claimed to have been sold or doesn't have all that is advertised and they try to sell you one that is what you expected for thousands more. Another trick is the car "auction". One I went to claimed that they were selling cars at 50% below blue book value. When I went there, they explained that they had one car actually on sale and that it was sold out. All other used cars were about double what the same new car would cost. When I told them that was false advertising, they pointed to a sign that named the on sale car as an example, not as the only car on sale. The newspaper ad had no such example. Once they get you at the dealership, remember that if their lips are moving, they are lying. They get paid a commission for each car sold so they will tell you anything to get you to buy one. Find out the invoice price and try to get the car close to it for a new car. Find out the blue book value of a used car you want and don't pay more than it. Also, get the VIN # and look up the car history online before making a final decision. Don't buy a used hybrid car with a salvage title. Hybrids require specialized expensive service that can only be done by the manufacturer. Hybrids are worthless without the initial warranty. Don't buy any car with a salvage title. If it was stolen and sold later before you got it, you'll be out your money and the car if the original owner comes knocking at your door.
    Last edited by Hooked on Fenix; 04-15-2008 at 04:06 PM.

Lesson learned: Don't let a bottle of soy sauce break in your trunk. Especially when you won't notice it for awhile. In the sun. When the exhaust system is right under your trunk.

I scrubbed and hosed and used the shop vac for three hours today. The trunk is going to sit open with a fan in it overnight but I fear that the smell of soy sauce is there to stay. I'm glad I stripped all the plastic and padding out of the trunk to save weight as soon as I bought the car, this would be 10,000 times worse if there was carpet in there.

Got Biodiesel?

Quote Originally Posted by Valolammas View Post
    Ever seen a small woman try to control an agitated rottweiler? The dog will go where it wants to go and drag her along on the ground. Not a pretty sight.
    But also don't get one small enough that you're practically dragging the poor dog around wherever you go. I've seen some people "walking" their tiny tiny dogs that are barely able to keep up the pace.
    *Hang on to your wallet!*

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_Bomber View Post
    Lesson learned: Don't let a bottle of soy sauce break in your trunk. Especially when you won't notice it for awhile. In the sun. When the exhaust system is right under your trunk.
    Eww. That reminds me of a similar incident that happened to me years ago in the trunk of my old Plymouth Duster. I stashed some picnic food back there and failed to properly protect a tupperware container of potato salad. You know the rest.
    Last edited by PhotonWrangler; 04-14-2008 at 07:01 PM.

_

Speaking of wet things that smell - If your car has no cup holders, don't put your coffee on the passenger seat. It won't be there when you remember you had one, which will be about the time the smell of coffee wafting up from the floor reaches your nose.

Mad71 Re: Things I've learned the hard way . . .(Part 2)

Quote Originally Posted by Hooked on Fenix View Post
    " 0% APR financing means $16.67 a month per $1,000 borrowed". If you total that up, it comes to $200.04 per year for every $1,000 borrowed. I don't know how they get away with saying 0% APR financing means a 20.0004% annual percentage rate for 5 years. If you didn't make a down payment, you would pay over 100% interest, doubling the cost of the car.
    You have that entirely wrong. That amount is not the interest but the amount you must pay on the loan to satisfy the principal over a 60 month loan.

For example. If you borrown $1,000.00 at 0% you must pay $16.67 a month to pay off the loan in 5 years. If you borrown $10,000 you must pay 167.76 each month to satisfy the loan in 5 years. Borrow $20,000 and the amount doubles to roughly $332.00 each month.

You are indeed paying 0% interest as is claimed in the advertisment. I think you totally and completely misunderstand loans and financing.
    RayT

My mistake. That section you quoted has now been deleted from my post. Happy now?

Flashaholic

No matter which Dremel battery you grab you will always get the dead one on the first try.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooked on Fenix View Post
    Don't buy a used hybrid car with a salvage title. Hybrids require specialized expensive service that can only be done by the manufacturer. Hybrids are worthless without the initial warranty.

Don't buy any car with a salvage title. If it was stolen and sold later before you got it, you'll be out your money and the car if the original owner comes knocking at your door.
    (I'm not knocking Hooked......)

Don't believe everything you hear about hybrids, especially when you hear them from people who don't own one or work on one or at least drive one. My hybrid (gen 1.5 Prius) has been remarkably trouble free for 72,000 miles. While the electronics are specific to the car, so are the electronics in all the modern cars (take the BMW 7 series, for instance). The rest of the hybrid is plain old mechanics.

As for salvage titles... Absolutely correct. Don't buy any car with a salvage title. They are hard to sell later.

And another lesson... Don't buy a car from someone who does not have the pink slip handy. It's an easy way to hide the fact that there's a loan against the car, or that it's been salvaged.

Yes, I've learned all these things.

Daniel
    ================================================== =
    I have got to plan my procrastination better!

Don't accept payments on a vehicle you're selling. Period. If the person was responsible enough to make payments then they could get a loan from a bank and pay you cash. If you do accept payments, make sure the vehicle and the title stays in your possession until the total amount is paid, and that the buyer knows that missing a payment means they forfeit the vehicle and any payments they've already made. Have this in writing and drawn up by a lawyer. Or just don't accept payments, period.

Learned this the hard way too.

Got Biodiesel?

Most of these can be summed up by:

Murphy was an optimist.

More useful ones

Do not buy cheap Cat5e sockets. Really don't. Really, really don't. Likewise really, really, really do not buy cheap patch panels.

Don't ever let customers supply network gear - the replacement for a gigabit switch suffering from lightning was a 10mbit hub. In a print shop where the print files are in the tens of gigabytes...

Always buy dirt cheap tools - you can always replace the ones you break with something that actually works. Speaking as the guy who managed to weld several far from cheap Snap-On sockets to a motorcycle frame.

Corollary to this - do not drink and weld.

Snap-On's warranty really does seem to be unconditional. But for the prince it ought to be.

As several others have already said, do not pocket several high current cells. It really isn't fun and may harm the cells

No multimeter works very well with a dead battery.

Remember to shut the door when cutting wood with an angle grinder. The house smelled of woodsmoke for weeks.

Really don't hold the cable in the hinge area while shutting the door. Was wiring up a set of speakers and wanted to check that the car door wouldn't nip the cable. Holding the cable in place with your thumb while shutting the door to check this is a very bad idea

Do not assume that insulators won't or conductors will.

That one caused quite a lot of expensive smoke.

If you're petting a horse, never assume that he'll automatically like you for it (CHOMP!)

When probing a circuit that contains a mixture of low voltage and high voltage sections, always assume you're working in the HV area and take appropriate precautions.

On a related note, when taking voltage readings, always insure that the VOM you're using is rated for the maximum voltage that you might encounter. Especially if it's an expensive VOM.
    Last edited by PhotonWrangler; 04-19-2008 at 12:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PhotonWrangler View Post
    If you're petting a horse, never assume that he'll automatically like you for it (CHOMP!)
    Definitely! Been there, done that, been scarred

Also remember that most horses are addicted to peppermint and the smell clings. A horse trying to eat your trouser pocket is not my idea of a fun time.

Quote Originally Posted by dulridge View Post
    Also remember that most horses are addicted to peppermint and the smell clings. A horse trying to eat your trouser pocket is not my idea of a fun time.
    I didn't know that! Is peppermint sort of a drug for them, the way that catnip seems to affect cats?

I didn't know that! Is peppermint sort of a drug for them, the way that catnip seems to affect cats?
    Don't know. I'm not a horse person but a good friend of mine is, as was my brother's ex. I've never yet met a horse that didn't love them. Large, extra strong ones by choice.

Don't know. I'm not a horse person but a good friend of mine is, as was my brother's ex. I've never yet met a horse that didn't love them. Large, extra strong ones by choice.
    Interesting. So if I ever need to distract a horse, I can toss an Altoids in the opposite direction!

Interesting. So if I ever need to distract a horse, I can toss an Altoids in the opposite direction!
    Preferably something about 25x the size so the horse can see it. Just about anything can spook a horse in my experience. Let it see it and smell it first - then run in the opposite direction.

Generally, horses are wimps and if you come on like the boss they will back off unless they're really scared. The horse that tried to eat my trouser pocket was an exception. He was a big guy - his head was longer than my arm though technically he was a Highland pony.

Generally, horses are wimps and if you come on like the boss they will back off unless they're really scared. The horse that tried to eat my trouser pocket was an exception. He was a big guy - his head was longer than my arm though technically he was a Highland pony.
    The horse I encountered tried to eat my shoulder. He bit through a thick winter jacket and two layers of clothing and still left teeth marks on my skin.

You will always have one friend who consistantly forgets not to look into your lights. And then, even with it on dim, they will say "ouch, thats bright"

Crenshaw

When you give a friend a flashlight as a gift at his bachelor party, don't tell him not to look into the light while it's on. Then he's guaranteed to get blinded out of curiosity and blame you. It was a 3 AA l.e.d. Maglite. He was probably used to the regular ones that you have to look at to see if they're really on. At least I didn't give him a 200 lumen e.d.c.

Flashaholic

When boogie boarding on the fake wave at a water park always make sure your shorts are tied tight

Quote Originally Posted by clg0159 View Post
    When boogie boarding on the fake wave at a water park always make sure your shorts are tied tight

when boogie boarding in real waves, always ensure you have the ankle strap on.....got flipped by a wave once when i was younger, wasnt pretty, was lucky i had the ankle strap on, and was close enough to shore to feel bottom after recovering.

Crenshaw

If you accidentally lock yourself out of the house and you have to re-enter through a front window, your neighbors will assume there's a burglary in progress and will take appropriate action.
    Last edited by PhotonWrangler; 05-10-2008 at 12:58 PM.

Go around back, or the side!

But it's comforting to know that your neighbours care. Just as long as they don't care so much as to be paranoid, you'll be fine.

Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 12345678912 ... LastLast