The Fenix-Store
Page 20 of 28 FirstFirst ... 10131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Things I've learned the hard way . . .(Part 2)

Default Re: Things I've learned the hard way . . .(Part 2)

Never eat a potpie from the center. Start at the edges, and eat around them as you slowly work towards the center. This also prevents the edges of the pie from getting cold before you finish eating.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

Yep --

Those are things I learned about eating Pot Pies, at a VERY early age !

How true, how true !

As a side note . . . .

When you "test" your food, to see if it has Cooled Down enough to eat it,

you probably shouldn't use your Tongue for the task !

_

Ditto for Pop Tarts. Learned a long time ago that the jam filling can be MUCH hotter than the crust.

On the same line...

Hot sugar can be MUCH hotter than boiling water. And it sticks to your skin.

Making candy can be more dangerous than making flashlights.

Daniel
    ================================================== =
    I have got to plan my procrastination better!

Certain brands of burnable CDs had a manufacturing defect that caused a version of disc rot called CD Bronzing. I'd heard of "CD Rot" before but I never thought about it much until I pulled out a disc of holiday music the other day and found that it was hit by the bronzing problem, causing the tracks closer to the outer edge of the disc to have errors.

Luckily I still have the original (stamped) discs that I compiled this music from so I can easily burn another one. However if you have any burned CDs with important information on them, check them once in awhile for CD rot and make a new copy from it before the old one becomes unreadable.

**Update**

This was a "Prodisc Diamond True Silver" CD-R. I bought a pack of these several years ago because I liked the idea of a disc that looked like a professionally stamped disc (no yellow-green or blue tint on the recordable side) but now I'm sticking with only the big name recordables.
    Last edited by PhotonWrangler; 12-17-2011 at 06:12 PM.

As I cyclist, I was reminded on the first day of the year that when dogs (and sometimes people) are crossing the road from your side to the other, if you happen to surprise them as you're approaching, they tend to turn around and run back in the direction from which they came... I hit a dog because I didn't shout at it (a habbit developed out of necessity) as I tried passing behind it. (There was about 3ft between the side of the road and the dog, more than enough space for a cyclist.)

Oh Yeah. Do not take apart a disposable camera (with flash) and attempt to look through the lens to magnify something without first removing the battery and discharging the capacitor.

Plastic sunglasses (optic nerve halogyn) SINK in sea water!
    Last edited by eebowler; 01-03-2012 at 07:56 PM.
    When was the last time you washed your feet?

Flashaholic*

Don't look at your wristwatch whilst holding a hot cup of coffee , the screaming frightens all the other MacDonalds customers.
    I bet you are all going through the action of looking at your watch now.
    p.s... It is safer for you to have the watch face on the inside of the wrist ... That way you scald someone else.

You've just tried it again haven't you ?

Quote Originally Posted by march.brown View Post
    Don't look at your wristwatch whilst holding a hot cup of coffee , the screaming frightens all the other MacDonalds customers.
    I bet you are all going through the action of looking at your watch now.
    p.s... It is safer for you to have the watch face on the inside of the wrist ... That way you scald someone else.

You've just tried it again haven't you ?
    Ouch! I check my wristwatch often. But thankfully I wear it on my non-dominant wrist.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

Quote Originally Posted by PhotonWrangler View Post
    Ditto for Pop Tarts. Learned a long time ago that the jam filling can be MUCH hotter than the crust.
    A fascinating thermodynamic anomaly, Captain.
    In the past we have had a light which flickered, in the present we have a light which flames, and in the future there will be a light which shines over all the land and sea.
    - Winston Churchill

If you unscrew the cap on a bottle of eye drops and it falls on the floor, no problem - just clean it with alcohol to sterilize it. But make sure the alcohol has evaporated completely before replacing the cap on the bottle, or some alcohol will seep into the eye drop fluid. And the next time you use it, it will hurt.

Flashaholic

Finish smoking your cigarette before changing the fuel filter on the car.

when working with CCFL inverters, do not pinch the wires going to the CCFLs, you will swear the insulator jackets are defective.

If you unscrew the cap on a bottle of eye drops and it falls on the floor, no problem - just clean it with alcohol to sterilize it. But make sure the alcohol has evaporated completely before replacing the cap on the bottle, or some alcohol will seep into the eye drop fluid. And the next time you use it, it will hurt.
    Ouch!

I prefer hot, soapy, water for cleaning caps that hit the floor. (Along with plenty of rinsing of the cap.)

Don't use an old wine bottle cork on Champagne to try and store it.

Quote Originally Posted by Monocrom View Post
    Ouch!

I prefer hot, soapy, water for cleaning caps that hit the floor. (Along with plenty of rinsing of the cap.)
    That's a good idea Monocrom.

It just dawned on me - being a flashaholic, I should've used a shortwave UV light to sterilize it. I have several of them.

Flashaholic*

That's a good idea Monocrom.

It just dawned on me - being a flashaholic, I should've used a shortwave UV light to sterilize it. I have several of them.
    Hmm... will sterilise it, but won't get rid of any debris that may have gotten on it from the floor. Wipe then use the UV perhaps?
    Finning does help dissipate heat. This is why the fins are removed before cooking fish. Otherwise it will throw off the heat and not reach the proper cooking temperature. --Duglite

Quote Originally Posted by Th232 View Post
    Hmm... will sterilise it, but won't get rid of any debris that may have gotten on it from the floor. Wipe then use the UV perhaps?
    Good point. Sterile debris is still debris that doesn't belong there.

Clean the floor?

Quote Originally Posted by nbp View Post
    Clean the floor?
    Realistically, every house has dust in it. You can clean till your fingers bleed, but that dust is coming right back. Far easier just to clean off the cap.

I was teasing you guys.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Monocrom View Post
    The building you live in was made by the guy who promised to bulid it for the cheapest price possible. (Sometimes even less than that.)

Where do they cheap out? . . . The gap between apartments.

My last place was a two-story building with apartments only on the top floor. No one stomping around on top of my head, no loud music, no chairs being dragged across the floor. (Honestly, it amazes me that my upstairs neighbor is so weak that he can't actually pick up the freaking chair properly.)

Still, he generally does well in being considerate. But every couple of nights out of the week, he comes home drunk as Hell and apparently forgets he doesn't live in a private house.

An electrician friend of mine has it much worse. An obnoxious couple with young kids who live upstairs from him. When you live in a city with a reputation for having a disproportionate number of @$$holes living in it . . . Yeah, you hold out for a top-floor apartment.
    I lived in one apartment that had poor insulation between the floors. I heard the couple above me getting jiggy with it one night...
    Last edited by Dr Evil; 03-18-2012 at 08:32 PM.

When leaving a restroom in a hurry to get back to the office, take the time to check yourself in the mirror before walking out the door. You know, so you won't be walking around in public with a length of toilet paper hanging out the back of your pants.

Learned this one this past Monday.

That's like the quintessential foible in any comedy, but I've never understood how it happens. How the heck does a chunk of tp even get in your pants, and then how do you not notice that? I fear ever doing this myself, and now will be more paranoid knowing it doesn't only happen in movies.

When leaving a restroom in a hurry to get back to the office, take the time to check yourself in the mirror before walking out the door. You know, so you won't be walking around in public with a length of toilet paper hanging out the back of your pants.

Learned this one this past Monday.
    Back of your shoe I can understand. But pants??

At the risk of providing too much information, a strip that's supposed to fall into the toilet misses it's mark and catches on the back edge of your pants or underpants. This has happened to me twice in my life - once a couple of decades ago and again a few days ago. Lesson learned: never assume that something will always land where you drop it.

Money spent on car audio, over the long term, is not unlike taking hundred-dollar bills and running them through a shredder.
    Last edited by Kestrel; 03-24-2012 at 11:50 AM.
    In the past we have had a light which flickered, in the present we have a light which flames, and in the future there will be a light which shines over all the land and sea.
    - Winston Churchill

Much as I love Surefire build quality, the plastic lens retaining rings suck and don't hold up to drops...the bezel edge WILL bend. So just buy the steel ring and install it right away before you drop the light on its head and then strip an Oveready removal tool trying to put the steel one on later after the damage is done.

Flashaholic*

Never expose the meaty part of your hand (between the thumb and forefinger) to a parrot you don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by nbp View Post
    Much as I love Surefire build quality, the plastic lens retaining rings suck and don't hold up to drops...the bezel edge WILL bend. So just buy the steel ring and install it right away before you drop the light on its head and then strip an Oveready removal tool trying to put the steel one on later after the damage is done.
    Sorry that you didn't get the bezel ring earlier - like 6 months earlier, lol.
    - Winston Churchill

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**

This thread makes me miss Rick (Sigman)... I hope you're well, wherever you are Rick!