• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Withdrawn

Josey

Flashlight Enthusiast
Withdrawn. I don't want to lower the price again. Thanks for the friendly comments and bumps.

This is a regulated Mag 85 in a FiveMega's Sprial 2 1/3D HAIII gray body with built in charging jack in tailcap and FM low-resistance battery holder. The light is bored to hold 9 4/5A GP2000 high-current cells (included). I don't remember the reflector. I bought it at the Sandwich Shoppe (M2?). It has extra small hole for more reflected light and smaller final diameter (you can see the inset). Borofloat window (not chipped, despite the photo.) It looks like LOP or MOP. Does anyone remember this reflector?

The regulation comes from AWR's Hotdriver. It is set to hold regulation at 11 volts because the GP2000 cells can hold that voltage with a WA1185 bulb. The Hotdriver is set in a Kiu ceramic bi-pin holder. AWR told me that the Mag85 at 11 volts puts out 1,307 bulb lumens (37W) and the bulb life is 8.6 hours. This high, regulated voltage makes this light brigher than other Mag85s. AWR made a great Hotdriver for the M85, but left the forum under a cloud of unfullfilled orders and promises. (Lots of threads about it.)

I don't think there is a better regulated Mag85, but am willing to be contradicted. I will not consider it thread trashing. The body is in very good condition. There is a small ding (see photo) in the body knurling.

Price: $300, which is less than it cost me. [NOW $275]

First "I'll take it" without condition and with prompt paypal gets it. Price includes Priority Mail postage in the US with confirmation. Insurance will be exta. Foreign postage will be extra.

mag85001.jpg

mag85002.jpg

mag85003.jpg

mag85004.jpg

mag85005.jpg

mag85006.jpg

Last edited:

SCblur

Enlightened
Re: Regulated Mag85 in FM HAIII bored body

What's the runtime like?

Josey

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Regulated Mag85 in FM HAIII bored body

I've never timed it. But it should run about 3.36 amps (37W/11V) and these are 2Ah cells, so probably about 35 to 40 minutes.

Josey

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Regulated Mag85 in FM Spiral 2.3D HAIII bored body

Price reduced to $275. This is less than I paid, and almost none of these parts are still available.

As to runtime, FiveMega's original post gave it a runtime of 35 minutes for these cells.

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast

Bump for a beautiful Mag85. :) FM does fantastic machine work. His Mag bodies are beautiful. I've got 2 coming in at some point for myself. :)

If i can manage to come up with a small fortune of usable funds i'll take this off of your hands. damn financial priorities,. :(

Shane

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks, Shane.

I found the reflector information. It's a Modamag M2. Modamag found that this design increases throw by 7 percent and puts 17 percent more light down range than a standard Mag reflector.

And doesnt Melt. Which is always helpful. ;)

ambientmind

Enlightened

is this light able to light paper on fire?

mazingerz9

Newly Enlightened

It looks interesting, I would probably buy it but I don't like the spiral design. Is it possible to move it to another host?

Josey

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ambient: This won't set paper on fire -- at least not in a short period of time. I do have a similar light in a Mag623 for sale. It will set a newspaper on fire without touching it. My favorite thing. It costs more, but that's because I have it paired with a big deep reflector. I will separate that out pretty soon, so the price for the light alone will be cheaper.

Maz: This is a custom machined 2.3D light sized for these cells and holder, so you are stuck with this body unless you want someone to cut down and rethread a different light. You would also have the tailcap issue to deal with because the charging dock is accessed through that tailcap hole. You could put the regulation switch in another light, but it is set to regulate at 11 volts. Not many cells other than these GP2000s can hold that voltage under a draw of 3.3 amps. Luxluthr may be able to build a pack like that for you that would fit a different light. These cells are not welded, so Lux's pack could be even better (reduced resistance), depending on the cells used.

I put this light together as the ultimate Mag85. I haven't lowered the price anymore because I still think it is the best Mag85 going. That might make a nice thread: Who has the best Mag85. Well, you'd have to eliminate 97 percent (I'm guessing) of the Mag85s because they don't have regulation, much less 11V regulation. You'd have to eliminate a whole bunch of the few remaining because they have more resistance or smaller cells or a poorer reflector or no easy charging system. And we haven't even gotten to the HAIII and spiral machining, which I like and which, FiveMega says, helps dissipate heat.

Bob_G

Enlightened

This is my #1 host for the 5761. I did surgery on a 2S3P 17670 holder to shorten it and use it in this host (which has been ano'd by Brian.) So there is some versatility there.

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well if anybody wants to buy this for the guts and sell me the head, body & Battery holder im all for it :)

Shane

Josey

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks, Bob and thanks, Shane.

OK, I guess it's either time to lower the price or withdraw the light. I've been on the fence. But I'll lower the price to $239.

ambientmind

Enlightened

I do have a similar light in a Mag623 for sale. It will set a newspaper on fire without touching it. My favorite thing. It costs more, but that's because I have it paired with a big deep reflector. I will separate that out pretty soon, so the price for the light alone will be cheaper.
I dont see this post anywhere...any details?

Josey

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks, Stereo.

Ambient: I did withdraw it in discouragement, but you can pm me if you are interested.

Josey