Storacell
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: INTRODUCING: a new GATLIGHT RUN....

Wink2 INTRODUCING: a new GATLIGHT RUN....

UPDATE: Pictures of the real light...

Here are some images of this latest GatLight Run highlighting the changes compared to the previous round:

The most noticable change is the rolex-type knurl on the knob. Also we changed the threads from sintered bronze to copper with a 24k Gold plating....

Here is something pretty cool... the custom made screws for this light are so polished that they project a ring of stars when the light is put into the sun....

--------------------------------------------
    Original Post
    --------------------------------------------

We're doing a new round of GatLights - an extreme design pocket flashlight made out of titanium and carbon fiber composites.

photo by stillphoto

Size: 3.5 inches long / 1.1 inches wide
    User interface: push button in the back and rotary knob to adjust brightness.

Everything will be the same as with the previous production round, except for the following differences:

1-LED: We just secured V-bin LEDs for this round. So they should be brighter then the previous production round. In fact its probably one of the brightest LEDs out there one can currently get. Of course also selected for premium tint colors.

2-Knob: Instead of a find knurl we will have a milled - (we call it Rolex knurl) for the titanium knob. Here is a rendering. We believe it will enhance the look and high quality of the light.

3-Knob Thread: To prevent galling the knob thread (male part) will be made out of gold plated copper. This will also increase conductivity towards the female titanium thread, as well as do the same towards the contact to the push button in the center.

4-Name: The light will be called simply: GatLight
    With the V3 design we finished the design so no more need to add versions.

5-Serial: The serial numbers will start at D-301. Since the previous round had serials 1 to 300, and this one is mostly the same design the numbers will continue at 301. In addition we decided to add a letter in front of it, which marks the production round. Since this is the 4th round GatLights we gave it the letter D. This allows differentiation and identification of the lights.

6-Driver changes: Then we had a few minor driver changes. The LEDs are mounted on solid COPPER core circuit boards.. that board got thicker. Then the driver circuit board is a bit smaller which will reduce a manual step for us. And then there are also a few other minor improvements.

7-Bars: We changed the titanium alloy on the bars with the goal to get a better finish on the bars.

Other then that all other specs are the same as listed in the complete specsheet here.

HOW TO ORDER

We are glad to announce that this run is the first one where we will not do pre-pay. To order just go to our website Lumencraft.net or GatLight.com and preorder a GatLight. You will provide your credit card details, however your card will not be charged until the day before your light ships.
    A preorder will guarantee you a light.

However waiting and ordering when they will ship might not guarantee a light, since this again will be a limited run. As we have seen in the past all it takes is a blog or a magazine writing about it to wipe out a production run.

If you have questions we gladly answer them. And I will keep everyone updated in this thread as production moves forward.

DELIVERY DATE: Right now its about 3 months out from now.. hopefully less but we want to play it save... just in case a supplier takes longer.

PHOTO COMPETITION
    Feel free to take a look at the gatglight photo competition, you can win a free gatlight by either being good with photoshop or just taking a good photo of a Gatlight. In the next couple days, probably a week we will close the competition and select our favorite photos. We then post those and you guys can decide who should win the free GatLights through voting.

How do you guys like the new knob?
    Last edited by mobile1; 05-21-2008 at 11:11 PM.

Default Re: INTRODUCING: a new GATLIGHT RUN....

Nice..

- Chris

Flashaholic

Nice! You already have my order. Thanks for not engraving to many things on it.

Love the rendering of the new Knob

Nice list of changes and upgrades. Really like the new knob design...definitely reflects Gatlight as the Rolex of flashlights. Looking forward to receiving the new light.
    Current favorites (in no particular order): Ti PD-S...120P...Nautilus...CR2 Ion...Wee Ti/NS/Ag...Raw Al/NS/Ti/Da...EX10...6PD(M60)...La Petite Killer...Luce de Notte

Flashaholic*

Nice improvements...

Thanks for the nice words... yep we're excited about the knob, I think it will look stunning. However it's no easy part to make out of Titanium, we originally came up with 3 choices and we (Kyle, me and the company that machines it) all decided that this one was by far the nicest looking one but also the hardest to machine...

I'll be stopping by this coming week and I'll see that I can take some pictures/videos of the machining....

Flashaholic*

We just secured V-bin LEDs
    V Bin LED's? Seoul? ... that will be better performing than the R Bin Cree's right?

We have generally found the SSC's to outperform the Cree's in the GatLight.

That tale is awesome! Will definitely look great. I'd have to say it's the best looking tail you guys have created yet.
    Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.

thanks...

I just upgraded our website to a slightly different look.... just a start our goal is to add more info about our older lights...

A customer asked how waterproof the GatLight is... today I took it to the pool... it still worked great after 1h at 7ft, and also 10min at 13ft....
    So I have to find a deeper pool now... to find the limit... :-)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mobile1 View Post
    A customer asked how waterproof the GatLight is... today I took it to the pool... it still worked great after 1h at 7ft, and also 10min at 13ft....
    Hi Mobile... I'm drawn to it by the exclusive design... its a "Bentley" to me and if ever you wish to name the next model... try "Spurs" simply... for your team is presenting a signature here... its NOT a Rolls... because being a Bentley brand-type, it will treat everyone equal for getting it, if you get my drift.

Now, this post was meant to suggest swimming with it in seawater at 10 meters deep... that'll prove its might and better still...have you considered Lake Luzern?

Very nice Walter....

We will probably able to order the light before the EOS comes out?

Any chance to buy the new knob for the older V3, will there only be 200 made then production stopped.
    Last edited by GLOCK18; 04-16-2008 at 12:17 AM.

mobile1,

I can test one for you in Hawaiian waters... Send me the lastest Gatlight and I will take it through the coral reefs of Oahu. I promise to take really good care of it!

Quote Originally Posted by mobile1 View Post
    McG/TB Ti 2AA LunaSol 27, McLuxIII Ti-PD, Nitecore D10, SF RPM U2, G2, AspheriMag3D Q5, Uluapoundr P7, Fenix L2D Q5, LD20, EO1 blue, purple, Hawaiian Punch Monkey Fist Creator

Wuuuaaaaahhhhhh you have coral reefs...

Order placed for a new style Gatlight V3

Thanks

David

Lake Lucerne test: Thanks for the suggestion... I am kind of curious how deep it would go... I have a friend of mine who might be able to test it... he designs diving gear.
    I'll actually be back in Switzerland soon for a little bit.. and its summer so wouldn't be too hard to test... and lake lucerne has no glacier melt in it..

Coral Reefs on Oahu: lol McGizmo has a V3... and I think he spends some time out there in the pacific as well... have to show him first though how to remove the driver... I do have an empty GatLIght shell here.. to do any debt test without harm...

More Knobs to upgrade V3: Good question, we haven't thought about it... for now its mostly close to the number of lights we make for financial reasons.. thought the shop might run a few more.. so it depends on the interest... likely we won't do more on this run.. then see what the interest is and do more on the next run (if there is one). Kind of what we did with the V2 upgrade.. we did the normal amount of driver sandwiches for the V3.. asked around regarding interest, and for this round we now made 100 extra sandwiches so we can offer V2 upgrades...

EOS/GatLight: Well the Gat will be out first.. then it won't be the EOS design but the polaris that will likely be next. However we want something thats equally cool and unique as the Gatlight... with the EOS even though it had 6 backlighted sapphires I don't think it was cool enough. Everyone I gave a GatLight and the EOS to hold and asked which one they want 8 out of 6 said the GatLight - while the correct answer for us to make it happen should be both.

So we went back to the drawing board and changed the EOS design to the Polaris design. We'll finish this GatLight round first.. then take a look at the Polaris and see if its cool enough to hold its own and make it happen... we'll see...

Thats sounds relly good Walter!

I cant wait to hold the Polaris in my Hands...

Mobile1 -

I sent you a PM.

Hi FlashlightFun, thanks for the pm, you asked some good questions which others might be interested in as well, so I hope you don't mind if I answer them in this thread here:

What is our privacy policy:

Regarding priacy policy and rather then pasting a legalese page, the summary is basically. We keep all our data and don't share it with anyone. We might send out maximum of 2 emails/newsletter per year which simply inform you of current models and production runs which allow you to get a light before they sell out. However as it was in the past it can also be just 1 email per year.
    The communications/newsletter also allow you to opt out from communications from us. If you have a specific request regarding privacy policy let me know and I can let you know how we handle it.

Warranty:
    We offer a limited lifetime warranty, similar to what other manufacturers of consumer goods have. We cover manufacturing defects or issues that might appear after you receive the light. We do not cover outside induced damages or obvious misuse (like any other warranty out there). In any case you need to pay shipping to us. For manufacturing defects we typically throw in some batteries/accessories to reimburse your shipping costs to us.

Will there be an Aluminum version:
    As far as we can see probably not. We might consider a stainless steel version, maybe with steel tubes rather then bars to get the weight down to the level of the TI version. However whether that reduces enough weight or whether the strength is still sufficient is something we need to look into first.

Does the GatLight Titanium occur before the Polaris:
    Yes the GatLight Titanium run is being produced as we speak. The polaris so far is a concept we might make a reality or not. But we'll take a look at that once we start delivering the GatLight Titanium preorders.

Are you still expecting the upcoming Titanium GatLight V3 run to be released in approximately 2.5 months?
    So far our current estimated delvery time of this round is July 2008. We are posting current updates of ETA and this production run here: http://Lumencraft.net/status.htm

Walter -

Thanks for answering my questions!

Flashaholic
    half New Orleans, half Baton Rouge, Louisiana

Can the new gatlight run on rechargeables 3.6 volt batteries?

Thanks.
    Crash
    To paraphrase Galadriel "In this magic torch, is caught the light of the LED set amidst a titanium case. It will shine still brighter when night is about you. May it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out."

Hi Crash... Yes the Gat can run on rechargeable 3.6V batteries - however there are a couple of things to consider, just visit www.Lumencraft.net then click on FAQ, I have posted a detailed answer what to consider when using rechargeables with the GatLight. In short the light will have an overdrive mode..so you have to limit the max. brightness, and you can't let the light fully drain the batteries or their lifetime will be limited. Also only use protected batteries... this in more details as mentioned on our website.

I use 3.7V rechargeables to my Gatlight V3 for over months now, and
    it still works very nice with the same RCR123, like at the beginning...

Flashaholic
    half New Orleans, half Baton Rouge, Louisiana

Wink2 Re: INTRODUCING: a new GATLIGHT RUN....

Thanks, Mobile1 and Toby for answering my questions.

Crash
    To paraphrase Galadriel "In this magic torch, is caught the light of the LED set amidst a titanium case. It will shine still brighter when night is about you. May it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out."

I love the Rolex knurl. Very nice drawings!

well here is a real machined part with that knurl... sorry about the blurry picture... I'll try to get some better ones this coming week... apparently those knobs look absolutely stunnnnnnning.....

Also I think it goes very well with the remaining design...

you like?

Looks awesome, even blurry. I look forward to it.
    Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.