INTRODUCING: a new GATLIGHT RUN....

mobile1

Flashlight Enthusiast
UPDATE: Pictures of the real light...

Here are some images of this latest GatLight Run highlighting the changes compared to the previous round:

The most noticable change is the rolex-type knurl on the knob. Also we changed the threads from sintered bronze to copper with a 24k Gold plating....
dsc01358.jpg
dsc01347.jpg

dsc01401.jpg
dsc01360.jpg

Here is something pretty cool... the custom made screws for this light are so polished that they project a ring of stars when the light is put into the sun....

dsc01382.jpg

--------------------------------------------
Original Post
--------------------------------------------

We're doing a new round of GatLights - an extreme design pocket flashlight made out of titanium and carbon fiber composites.

GatlightLong.jpg

photo by stillphoto

Size: 3.5 inches long / 1.1 inches wide
User interface: push button in the back and rotary knob to adjust brightness.

Everything will be the same as with the previous production round, except for the following differences:

1-LED: We just secured V-bin LEDs for this round. So they should be brighter then the previous production round. In fact its probably one of the brightest LEDs out there one can currently get. Of course also selected for premium tint colors.

2-Knob: Instead of a find knurl we will have a milled - (we call it Rolex knurl) for the titanium knob. Here is a rendering. We believe it will enhance the look and high quality of the light.
knurlv2b.jpg

3-Knob Thread: To prevent galling the knob thread (male part) will be made out of gold plated copper. This will also increase conductivity towards the female titanium thread, as well as do the same towards the contact to the push button in the center.

4-Name: The light will be called simply: GatLight
With the V3 design we finished the design so no more need to add versions.

5-Serial: The serial numbers will start at D-301. Since the previous round had serials 1 to 300, and this one is mostly the same design the numbers will continue at 301. In addition we decided to add a letter in front of it, which marks the production round. Since this is the 4th round GatLights we gave it the letter D. This allows differentiation and identification of the lights.

6-Driver changes: Then we had a few minor driver changes. The LEDs are mounted on solid COPPER core circuit boards.. that board got thicker. Then the driver circuit board is a bit smaller which will reduce a manual step for us. And then there are also a few other minor improvements.

7-Bars: We changed the titanium alloy on the bars with the goal to get a better finish on the bars.

Other then that all other specs are the same as listed in the complete specsheet here.

HOW TO ORDER

We are glad to announce that this run is the first one where we will not do pre-pay. To order just go to our website Lumencraft.net or GatLight.com and preorder a GatLight. You will provide your credit card details, however your card will not be charged until the day before your light ships.
A preorder will guarantee you a light.

However waiting and ordering when they will ship might not guarantee a light, since this again will be a limited run. As we have seen in the past all it takes is a blog or a magazine writing about it to wipe out a production run.

If you have questions we gladly answer them. And I will keep everyone updated in this thread as production moves forward.

DELIVERY DATE: Right now its about 3 months out from now.. hopefully less but we want to play it save... just in case a supplier takes longer.

PHOTO COMPETITION
Feel free to take a look at the gatglight photo competition, you can win a free gatlight by either being good with photoshop or just taking a good photo of a Gatlight. In the next couple days, probably a week we will close the competition and select our favorite photos. We then post those and you guys can decide who should win the free GatLights through voting.

How do you guys like the new knob?

Last edited:

JohnTz

Enlightened
Nice! You already have my order:devil:. Thanks for not engraving to many things on it.:thumbsup:

Ironwood

Newly Enlightened
Nice list of changes and upgrades. Really like the new knob design...definitely reflects Gatlight as the Rolex of flashlights. Looking forward to receiving the new light.

mobile1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the nice words... yep we're excited about the knob, I think it will look stunning. However it's no easy part to make out of Titanium, we originally came up with 3 choices and we (Kyle, me and the company that machines it) all decided that this one was by far the nicest looking one but also the hardest to machine...

I'll be stopping by this coming week and I'll see that I can take some pictures/videos of the machining....

Stillphoto

Flashlight Enthusiast
That tale is awesome! Will definitely look great. I'd have to say it's the best looking tail you guys have created yet.

mobile1

Flashlight Enthusiast
A customer asked how waterproof the GatLight is... today I took it to the pool... it still worked great after 1h at 7ft, and also 10min at 13ft....
So I have to find a deeper pool now... to find the limit... :)

SemperFi

Banned
A customer asked how waterproof the GatLight is... today I took it to the pool... it still worked great after 1h at 7ft, and also 10min at 13ft....

Hi Mobile... I'm drawn to it by the exclusive design... its a "Bentley" to me and if ever you wish to name the next model... try "Spurs" simply... for your team is presenting a signature here... its NOT a Rolls... because being a Bentley brand-type, it will treat everyone equal for getting it, if you get my drift.:twothumbs

Now, this post was meant to suggest swimming with it in seawater at 10 meters deep... that'll prove its might and better still...have you considered Lake Luzern?:D

toby_pra

Flashaholic
Very nice Walter....

We will probably able to order the light before the EOS comes out?:cool:

GLOCK18

Enlightened
Any chance to buy the new knob for the older V3, will there only be 200 made then production stopped.

Last edited:

jag808808

Enlightened
mobile1,

I can test one for you in Hawaiian waters... Send me the lastest Gatlight and I will take it through the coral reefs of Oahu. I promise to take really good care of it!:naughty:

mobile1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lake Lucerne test: Thanks for the suggestion... I am kind of curious how deep it would go... I have a friend of mine who might be able to test it... he designs diving gear.
I'll actually be back in Switzerland soon for a little bit.. and its summer so wouldn't be too hard to test... and lake lucerne has no glacier melt :confused: in it..

Coral Reefs on Oahu: lol McGizmo has a V3... and I think he spends some time out there in the pacific as well... have to show him first though how to remove the driver... I do have an empty GatLIght shell here.. to do any debt test without harm...

More Knobs to upgrade V3: Good question, we haven't thought about it... for now its mostly close to the number of lights we make for financial reasons.. thought the shop might run a few more.. so it depends on the interest... likely we won't do more on this run.. then see what the interest is and do more on the next run (if there is one). Kind of what we did with the V2 upgrade.. we did the normal amount of driver sandwiches for the V3.. asked around regarding interest, and for this round we now made 100 extra sandwiches so we can offer V2 upgrades...

EOS/GatLight: Well the Gat will be out first.. then it won't be the EOS design but the polaris that will likely be next. However we want something thats equally cool and unique as the Gatlight... with the EOS even though it had 6 backlighted sapphires I don't think it was cool enough. Everyone I gave a GatLight and the EOS to hold and asked which one they want 8 out of 6 :thinking: said the GatLight - while the correct answer for us to make it happen should be both.

So we went back to the drawing board and changed the EOS design to the Polaris design. We'll finish this GatLight round first.. then take a look at the Polaris and see if its cool enough to hold its own and make it happen... we'll see...

toby_pra

Flashaholic
Thats sounds relly good Walter!

I cant wait to hold the Polaris in my Hands...:twothumbs