JetBeam Jet-I MK IBS Review: Runtimes, Beamshots, Pics, Ramps + UPDATE: Shipping ver!

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
UPDATE MAY 1, 2008: JetBeam has sent me a full shipping version of the Jet-I MK IBS (courtesy of bugoutgearusa.com). I've updated all the runtimes in this thread, although there was little difference to my engineering sample MKII IBS. There are some build differences, though - scroll down for more info. For a comparison of this same IBS circuit in CR123A format, see my Jet-II IBS.

REVIEWER'S NOTE: This is a three-part review. The first part is a build and runtime overview of the new JetBeam "infinite brightness system" (IBS) circuit, in the form of the engineering sample Jet-I MKII IBS. The second part is a build update with the full shipping version, now renamed the Jet-I MK IBS. The third part is a detailed beamshot and runtime comparison to other similar lights. The MK/MKII IBS lights were provided free of charge by JetBeam for review.

PART I: Jet-I MK IBS Build/Runtime Comparison

Specification: (according to the Manufacturer)
LED: CREE 7090 XR-E (Q5 bin)
Max Output: 225 Lumens ("Torch Lumens")
Reflector: OP aluminum reflector
Lens: Sapphire crystal
Material: T6061 T6 aircraft aluminum alloy
Finish: HA III Military grade hard anodized
Battery: one AA battery or any other batteries of the same size
Input voltage: 0.7-4.2V
Switch: Reverse push button switch
Waterproof: Accord to IPX-8 standard
Dimension: Bezel diameter 21mm, Tail diameter 20mm, Overall length 91mm
Weight: 40g

IBS-7.jpg

As you can see, exterior styling is very nice. Light comes in a dark slate grey HA finish, similar to the earlier MKII models. There is some color mismatch between the head and body on my engineering sample, but that's not uncommon for dark grey anodizing. Lettering is generally good, although the MKII and IBS labels on the head are not uniform in intensity/brightness (again, not uncommon for Jetbeam lights). The light lacks knurling, but the smooth body has indentations to improve grip or allow addition of trits. I have always found this model series to have an elegant look.

IBS-2.jpg

The light comes with double o-rings at both ends of the body tube. The o-rings are a bit thicker than most lights, leading to increased resistance when screwing the head and tail to the body tube. Although this makes a tight fit which should help for water-resistance, care needs to be taken to insure you don't accidentally "pinch" an o-ring while tightening.

As you can see, the head contact board has a spring on it, so flat-top 14500 batteries can easily make contact. However, the increased resistance due to this second spring means that you may find it difficult to fully tighten the head/tailcap with a longer protected 14500 in there. I was able to manage this without too much force on my AW protected 14500s (NOTE: see update with shipping version in Part II below).

As with all JetBeam AA-model lights, the tailcap switch retaining ring is made of plastic. This is a concern for some, although I haven't experienced any problems as yet on any of my JetBeam lights.

IBS-6.jpg

As you can see above, the MKII IBS uses the "silver" version of the Cree Q5 emitter (i.e. the area outside central die is silver in color, instead of the standard Cree yellow). My understanding is that there are no output differences between the silver and yellow versions, and these simply reflect different manufacturing plants.

Screw thread comparison:

From left to right: MKII IBS, JET-I PRO, MKII X
IBS-3.jpg

IBS-4.jpg

The threads on the MKII IBS are improved from the early version of the MKII series. As you can see in the pics above, the MKII IBS (far left) has fewer but thicker threads than the original Cree MKII X (far right). This should reduce the risk of cross-threading. These threads are not as substantial as those on the JET-I PRO (middle) which are square and thick (a favorite with machinists). However, the MKII threads are anodized, allowing for tailcap lockout.

The reverse clicky switch is fairly stiff, similar to other JetBeam models. The traverse is also fairly short (i.e. how far you have to press to activate the light), but accidental activation is unlikely given the resistance and flat-top switch cover. However, you may find getting into the "hidden modes" takes some practice, as you need to quickly flash the switch 3 times in less than one second (I've found this a bit challenging - see the Interface section below for a discussion). Light is able to tailstand.

From left to right: MKII IBS, JET-I PRO, MKII X
IBS-5.jpg

Early versions of JetBeam 1AA lights (i.e. the MKII X and the C-LEs) had fairly sharp edges around the tailcap lanyard attachment. As you can see above, the newer MKII IBS and JET-I PRO have an improved smooth edging.

PART II: Build Comparison to Shipping Jet-I MK IBS

IBS2-1.jpg

IBS2-2.jpg

As you can see, the full shipping version comes in a new hard-shell box with proper identification labels. Inside, securely packaged in foam inserts is the light, manual, warranty card, extra o-rings and switch boot cover, and wrist lanyard. A definite improvement over the current Jet-II and Jet-III packaging.

Build Differences:

IBS2-3.jpg

A few obvious differences stand out. The anodizing is better match across the whole light, similar to the head of the engineering sample. However, the lettering is not as clear or sharp as the engineering sample. It's not quite as bad as the above pic makes it look, so here is another one:

IBS2-5.jpg

Body tube and threads are the same between the two lights. O-rings are less orange and more red on the shipping version.

IBS2-4.jpg

Now this is a little strange - the o-ring around the lens is much smaller on the shipping version, and hence a lot more noticeable. It doesn't seem to interfere with the beam, though.

IBS2-6.jpg

Now this is significant - notice how much longer the tailcap spring is on the shipping version (on the right). :eek: I understand now the complaints from some people about not being able to fit some protected 14500 batteries in this light. With the extra spring in the head, that's a lot of tension on the battery (threads are anodized, so you need a full tightness fit of both the head and tail cap to make contact). Cranking it tight thus runs the potential risk of damaging your battery.

IBS2-7.jpg

It seems like JetBeam is using the more substantial switch spring I noticed in my Jet-II review. But while that spring fits the bigger Jet-II tailcap fine, it is a bit wide at the base for the smaller red plastic retaining ring of the MK IBS. The first rung or two of the spring are jammed under the retaining ring, making it hard to separate the retaining ring from the switch assembly.

This is not really a problem when using standard batteries, but I find it very difficult to tighten the tailcap on most of my AW protected 14500s. I strongly recommend JetBeam revert to using the smaller springs in this light.

Digital control:

All JetBeam lights use PWM, to my knowledge. On this light, the frequency is high enough that I can't detect it by eye or instrument, even at the lowest output settings. :thumbsup:

Interface:

The MK IBS allows you to set three defined output states (A, B, C) through a continuously variable brightness mechanism similar to some Liteflux, EdgeTAC, and DBS lights. Interface is as follows:

Mode Switching
According to the JetBeam manual and published specs, default settings for the three modes are: A is High brightness (~80-85% max), B is Low brightness (~10-15%), and C is the warning signal. There is no memory mode - when switched on each time, the light enters mode A. Lightly press the tail cap button (i.e. quick flash), and the light will go from mode A -> B -> C in cycle. Note that on my engineering sample, A and B were both pre-set to Max (100%) brightness.

Changing the Brightness Level
To access the IBS cycle, lightly press the tail cap button three or more times within one second in any mode to enter the "Hidden Menu" for that mode. This allows you to set each of A, B and C modes individually.

After 3 quick flashes, the light immediately goes into the "Brightness Setting" mode where it will ramp brightness from Min (5%) to Max (100%) gradually. Once it reaches Max, the light then starts over at Min and repeats the process. A complete cycle is supposed to take about 8 seconds according to the manual, but I've found that my engineering sample takes about twice that long (see Ramp graph below). During this process, the light flickers once at Min (5%), twice at 50% output; and three times at Max (100%). Simply turn off the light to select the output level you want. It will then retain this setting the next time you turn the light back on.

Special Functions Mode
After entering the Brightness Setting mode of the Hidden Menu, lightly press the tail cap button once, and the light enters the Special Functions mode - which goes from 1HZ to 15HZ strobe, warning signal, standby signal, 100% SOS and 5% SOS. Again, if you want to select any of these functions, just turn off the light and it will be set for the next time you turn on.

Reset Function
From the Special Functions mode, lightly press the tail cap button once and the light enters Reset mode. Turn the light off, and when it comes back on you will be in the factory set default A, B, C settings (i.e. A: High brightness; B: Low brightness; C: Warning Signal).

Although this interface seems to work pretty well, I personally found it hard to consistently flash the reverse clicky 3 times within one second to enter the Hidden Menu on my engineering sample. Either I was too slow, or I sometimes pressed too hard and clicked the switch off. I did find it a bit easier on my shipping sample, but of course, YMMV. :)

For comparison beamshots and a summary of throw and overall output, please scroll down to Part II of this review.

Testing Method: All my output numbers are relative for my home-made light box setup, a la Quickbeam's FR.com method. My relative overall output numbers are typically similar to his, although generally a little lower. You can directly compare all my review graphs - i.e. an output value of "10" in one graph is the same as "10" in another. Throw values are the square-root of lux measurements taken at 1m using a light meter.

Variable Output Ramping

Below is a graph comparing ramping outputs on both 14500 and Sanyo Eneloop. I've marked the graphs with the approximate time points when the light flashes to indicate 5%, 50%, and 100%.

IBS-Ramp.gif

First off, I should explain that the "50%" flash setting is based on ~50% max output on 14500, regardless of what battery type is in there. Since the max output on standard alkaline/NiMH is only slightly brighter than the 50% level on 14500, this gives you the strange looking Eneloop curve shown above where "50% flash" is actually pretty close to the output of max "100% flash" on this battery type, but takes an extra ~7 secs or so to reach it.

Now with the corrected lightbox results, you'll see the ramping results make a little more sense, although they are still not perfectly visually linear. You'll also note that the ramping time is about twice as long as the 8 secs reported in the manual. For a comparison to other lights with a variable output interface, please see Part II of this review.

Runtimes:

Note: all the runtimes below have been updated with the full shipping sample (including the default Hi and defaul Lo settings, that weren't available on my engineering sample). If you don't see the new graphs, just hit your browser's refresh button.

IBS-14500.gif

IBS-NiMH.gif

IBS-Eneloop.gif

IBS-Alka.gif

Note: "50% flash" on the graphs above refer to the point when the IBS circuit flashes to denote 50% on 14500 (which is actually near maximal on NiMH/Alkaline). "~50% (std batt)" refers to an arbitrary point I picked that gives you roughly 50% initial output on standard batteries.

Preliminary Output/runtime observations:

• The maximum output on 14500 is an outstanding ~95 relative units on my scale. :eek:oo:
  • Output/efficiency on 14500 seems good, with no signs of the problem that plagued the initial release of the Jet-I PRO.
  • As JetBeam has pointed out, the circuit has some efficiency problems at the med/high output range on NiMH. For ex, the Default Hi and "50%" flash level (which are both just slightly lower output than max) have equivalent runtime to max.
  • Low output is nice and low – as low as I've seen on a multi-stage 1AA light. :) Runtimes are still progressing, but output levels are marked on the graphs above for your reference.
  • Higher output alkaline runtimes are disappointing, but that's not entirely surprising given that this light is optimized for maximum brightness on 14500.

PART II: MKII IBS Comparison Beamshots/Runtimes

IBS-1.jpg

For this part of the review, I am going to compare the engineering sample Jet-I MKII IBS (Q5) to the original JB MKII X (P4), EDGETAC NDI (Q5), Fenix L1D (Q5), and JB JET-I PRO (R2). The shipping version Jet-I MK IBS doesn't look appreciably different.

Comparison Beamshots

All lights are on max/100% on AW protected 14500, about 0.5 meters from a white wall. From left to right, top row is MKII IBS, Fenix L1D, EDGETAC NDI. Bottom row is MKII IBS again, with JET-I PRO, and MKII X.
IBS-25.jpg

IBS-100.jpg

IBS-500.jpg

As you can see, the MKII IBS has the greatest output of all the lights shown (it's even more noticeable in real life). It also has the widest spillbeam. Tint is white with a slight violet hue on my sample, but it's not as pronounced as the above pics seem to show.

Throw/Output Summary Chart:

As I mentioned earlier, my original lightbox recordings were in error (now corrected). Below is a summary chart, including some "ceiling bounce" numbers taken in a small windowless room (with light and lightmeter on the floor, both pointing straight up).

IBSSummary.gif

As you can see from both the revised lightbox and ceiling bounce tests, the IBS is quite a bit brighter than the competition on max on 14500. :eek:oo:

In terms of throw, on 14500 the MKII IBS is producing the following according to my lightmeter:
5%: 46 lux
50%: 1950 lux
100%: 3750 lux

Runtimes:

14500-Hi.gif

14500-Med.gif

14500-Lo.gif

Alka-Hi.gif

Alka-Med.gif

Alka-Lo.gif

Eneloop-Hi.gif

NiMH-Hi.gif

NiMH-MedHi.gif

Note: "50% flash" on the graphs above refer to the point when the IBS circuit flashes to denote 50% on 14500 (which is actually near maximal on NiMH/Alkaline). "~50% (std batt)" refers to an arbitrary point I picked that gives you roughly 50% initial output on standard batteries.

Output/runtime observations:

• No doubt about it, the Jet-I MK IBS is the brightest light on 14500 that I have tested. :kiss:
  • Given the incredibly high output, heat is a concern: JetBeam recommends against running the light this way unsupervised, as it could get hot enough to burn something! I concur, and advise caution in using 100% on 14500. :candle:
  • Maximum output on standard batteries is similar or greater than the other lights test here, with typically equivalent output/runtime efficiency. :thumbsup:
  • There is some loss of efficiency on standard batteries at near maximal output, which according to Jetbeam is a trade-off in order to have maximal output on Li-ion (which so many of you seem to want :poke:).
  • Low output is as low as I've seen for any of these newer multi-stage 1AA lights – certainly as low as my excellent NDI (and with equivalent runtime to boot). Very impressive that such a wide range of output is possible on the IBS circuit.
  • Regulation is excellent on all rechargeable battery types. Like the NDI, it's clear that this light was designed to excel on rechargeables (NiMH and Li-ion).
  • High output performance on alkaline is certainly less impressive, but that's not surprising on such a high-end light.

Variable Output Ramping

Below is a graph comparing ramping outputs on 14500 for all my lights that have this feature. The graph has been adjusted to percent maximal output for each individual light, to allow you to better compare the differences. I've marked the graphs with the approximate time points where the MKII IBS and DBS DI circuits flash to indicate 5%, 50%, and 100%.

Ramp2.gif

As you can see, ramping time is fairly long on the IBS, and slightly more visually curvilinear than most.

Preliminary conclusions:
  • Highest output on 14500 of any 1AA I've seen. Good news for all you output freaks out there! ;) … but I must caution about the risks of excessive heat if run this way in a prolonged fashion.
  • Runtimes on higher output levels are very good on rechargeable battery types, but lower than the competition on standard batteries in the Med-Hi range. This may be a trade-off to get such a wide dynamic range on Li-ion. Further Med mode testing on NiMH is underway.
  • Lowest output mode (5%) is as low as I've seen on a multi-stage 1AA light – with output and runtime as good as my EDGETAC NDI. Well done! :thumbsup:
  • Regulated output on rechargeable battery types in all output modes is very good (e.g. unlike Fenix or earlier JetBeam lights on 14500, where you run on direct drive initially)
  • The feature set and user interface on this IBS circuit are more advanced than most lights, and is a considerable improvement over earlier JetBeam models. However, I found triple-flash to enter variable brightness and other modes a bit cumbersome compared to the simpler NDI interface.
  • Light lacks a memory mode as such, but the flexibility to set 3 programmable states (accessed in a cycle) more than makes up for this, IMO.
  • Build quality on my samples are very high, consistent with other JetBeam lights. Standard issues like anodizing mismatch, lettering imperfections, and plastic switch retaining ring persist, but overall quality is still quite high. Note the larger tailcap spring on the shipping version is problematic for longer protected 14500 battieres.

I'm not sure if this JetBeam IBS will replace my NDI as my EDC (I've grown fond of the NDI's forward clicky and elegant interface). But the higher output and 3 programmable states of the MKII IBS are certainly nice features, and I've always been a fan of the more elegant styling of the MKII series.

Hmmm, decisions, decisions :grin2: … I'll keep you posted on my experiences with it!

------------
UPDATE: After EDCing the Jet-I MK IBS for a week, I thought I'd share my personal experiences with it relative to my NDI.

MK IBS advantages:
  • Higher possible maximum output on 14500 (pretty much an even wash on standard batteries, though).
  • 3 output levels you can set (i.e. 5%, ~60%, 100% works well for me in practice), instead of just one set-able level plus max on the NDI. This is a major point in the MK's favour, as far as I am concerned. :thumbsup:
  • More elegant and refined look - but that's just my personal preference (the NDI's "tactical" look may be your thing ;)).
  • Can tailstand in stock form (but I find it more usable if you mod the switch cover so it doesn't - see below for discussion)

MK IBS disadvantages:
  • Reverse clicky is stiff and harder to activate than the smooth forward clicky of the NDI. The mod suggested by Nake in post #41 helps a lot (see my follow-up post #48), but still doesn't let you momentary flash like you can on the NDI.
  • Although overall output is similar on lowest setting - my preferred output level - the IBS has a brighter and more defined hotspot than the NDI (the NDI has a relatively brighter spill and smoother transition from the hotspot). Result is that I find myself "following the bouncing ball" with the MKII's hotspot when walking around the house at night, which I never felt with the NDI. Note the difference isn't huge between the lights, but it is noticeable to me. :sigh:
  • Less "grippy" texture of the MK IBS - I'm always a little worried it will slip out of my hand. No worries with the NDI!

For my personal preferences and daily usage, I find the balance swings slightly in favour of the NDI, despite its lack of a set-able "medium" level. Plus it happens to have a warmer tint that I personally like (of course, that's a complete lottery - YMMV). The Jet-I MK IBS is going into my computer travel bag for now (I leave the NDI at home when travelling through airport secuity ...:whistle:)

Bottom line: I see the two lights as roughly equivalent overall, and I'm sure most here would be happy with either. Just go with whichever one seems to best match your personal tastes and preferences. :twothumbs

Last edited:

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: JetBeam MKII IBS Review: Runtimes, Beamshots, Pics, Ramps & more

thanks for the great review! I'm amazed at how much brighter than the NDI it is :eek: And I've never seen regulation like that with infinitely adjustable modes...

I don't know whether I'm glad the kurling is missing... it makes it more pocket friendly, but less grippable. Overall, do you think the grip is good enough as it is?

Does the light have a purplish tint, or is it the camera?

You warned against leaving it running at 100% on liion - about how long would it be safe for? 10 minutes, like Fenix lights?

Thank you again :twothumbs

Cheapskate

Enlightened

Thanks for the excellent review.

Whilst this IBS may be the latest wunderkind, I think your review also highlights how good the NDI still is. It is able to extract a considerable amount of light (area under the graph line), no matter what type of battery you feed it, making it both highly efficient and flexible.

gunga

Flashaholic

Excellent review as always Selfbuilt. I think all reviewers should aspire to meet this standard.

Outstanding.

While the jetbeam does have some weird blips in efficiency, it's good to see it's not all bad and can be avoided somewhat with careful level selection.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

And I've never seen regulation like that with infinitely adjustable modes...
Yes, it is the best regulated continuously variable light I've seen, at least on rechargeable options. But that's probably also to the detriment of runtime efficiency. The NDI's regulation is certainly "good enough" in my mind, with the benefit of greater runtime.

I don't know whether I'm glad the kurling is missing... it makes it more pocket friendly, but less grippable. Overall, do you think the grip is good enough as it is?
I haven't decided as yet - it's certainly less grippy than the NDI, but probably more grippy than the Fenix.

Does the light have a purplish tint, or is it the camera?
The camera is accentuating it somewhat. It looks pure white until I put it up against the L1D (which is warmer tinted), at which point the IBS does look a little purplish.

You warned against leaving it running at 100% on liion - about how long would it be safe for? 10 minutes, like Fenix lights?
Honestly, I don't know if any amount of time is safe at 100%. I was always in agreement with the decision on the NDI and Jet-I PRO to limit maximal output. Whatever you consider safe for other lights, I think you would want to shorten for this one. :sssh:

Whilst this IBS may be the latest wunderkind, I think your review also highlights how good the NDI still is. It is able to extract a considerable amount of light (area under the graph line), no matter what type of battery you feed it, making it both highly efficient and flexible.
Quite true - the NDI definitely seems the most output/runtime efficient of all the continuously variable lights, on all batteries (which is quite a feat). Similarly, the L1D remains the overall output/runtime efficiency king (but with the trade-off of lacking a true low mode and proper regulation on 14500s).

gunga said:
While the jetbeam does have some weird blips in efficiency, it's good to see it's not all bad and can be avoided somewhat with careful level selection.
Yeah, for example not really worth running standard batteries at anything between "50% flash" and 100%, since you aren't getting any greater runtime for it.

Like with any light, it will take some time to find the optimal states for various batteries. I'll keep you posted on the low mode runtimes ...

:wave:

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast

Selfbuilt,

When you get a chance measure the current draw at the tail on the 100% setting. My MKIIx shows 1.6A with a 14500 at 100%. I have an R2 in it. Now that's bright.

m2usa

Newly Enlightened

Selfbuilt - thanks for the review. As usual, very complete; however, I think I'll still be EDCing my NDI for a little longer. :thumbsup:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

When you get a chance measure the current draw at the tail on the 100% setting. My MKIIx shows 1.6A with a 14500 at 100%.
As you know, I don't usually bother with tailcap current draws - I find it's not always reliable on some multi-stage lights (the DMM resistance seems to prevent max brightness in some cases, confirmed with my lightmeter). But I will give it a try once I'm done the rest of the low mode runtimes.

If it works, I suspect current draw will be similar, given that the runtime on the MKIIX on 14500 is about the same as my IBS (i.e. 20-25mins). It definitely must be a real scorcher, especially with a R2 in yours!

Abumustafa

Enlightened

Selfbuilt Amazing Review an Comparison between the competition whilst it may be brighter on 14500's it is clearly not that efficiant comapred to the NDI or L1D!

The NDI is such a GEM :clap:

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks, selfbuilt, for another "gold standard" review! :thumbsup:

I have enjoyed every JETBeam light I've owned, and they are to be praised for their innovation and handsome design work. I simply am hoping that at some point the company establishes a permanent, consistent and helpful C/S presence here on CPF, a la Lumapower, Deerelight, etc. My impression is that they seem to be very visible when new products are announced, and then sort of fade away afterwards.....

dhouseng

Newly Enlightened

Jet-I pro 240 lumens doenst have as much output as mkII ibs 225 lumens??

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

I have enjoyed every JETBeam light I've owned, and they are to be praised for their innovation and handsome design work. I simply am hoping that at some point the company establishes a permanent, consistent and helpful C/S presence here on CPF, a la Lumapower, Deerelight, etc. My impression is that they seem to be very visible when new products are announced, and then sort of fade away afterwards.....
Good point - I've always found them quick to respond to questions by e-mail, but their presence here is somewhat minimal after initial launch (although they certainly seem to listen to CPF when it comes to design changes).

Jet-I pro 240 lumens doenst have as much output as mkII ibs 225 lumens??
That's right ... because 240 lumens for the JET-I PRO would be using "bulb lumens" counting (i.e. theoretical max of the emitter). "Torch" lumens, taking into account how driven the emitter is, would be lower on the JET-I PRO.

JETBeam took the same approach on the JET-I PRO as they did on their JET-II and MKII R lights - namely, not driving them at max possible output. This is mainly for thermal management and efficiency reasons. With the MKII IBS, they evidentally decided to give what so many asked for here - damn the efficiency and heat, and full steam ahead! :eek:oo:

The consequence in terms of runtime is pretty clear - on max on 14500, you get 22mins for the MKII IBS vs 75mins for the JET-I PRO.

dhouseng

Newly Enlightened

any 5meter beamshots of this and the p3d Q5? can this light throw better than the p3dq5? which light can illuminate more at a further distance? but the 1m lux readings of mkII is lesser than the p3dq5, even though it has a tighter spot.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

can someone tell me why the runtime on Default High is longer than 50% ?
It shouldn't be. My engineering sample doesn't have the default high mode, but I can roughly estimate it (looks like ~80% output, according light-reviews and JETbeam's own published specs). Unfortunately, my light is tied up in a low mode alkaline runtime test right now, but I'll try a ~80% 14500 test next and let you know if I can reproduce the same effect.

But if you look at my NiMH 2650mAh run, you'll see something similar (i.e. higher output and longer runtime on max). In could be a general efficiency problem at just below maximal output. Further testing should help clarify ...

As for the P3DQ5, it is a bit of an apples-and-oranges comparison (different size light, 2 cells, etc.). Overall output of my P3D is higher than my MKII IBS according to my lighbox (but lower according to a ceiling bounce). Haven't tested throw at 5m, but I suspect there's not likely a huge difference.

magic_elf

Banned

Does the reset function on yours work to get the default stuff?

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wow, great review! this looks like a very bright light. Thanks for everything.... output, runtime, pictures... if your review is not worthy of the reviews section....none of mine have ever been.... thanks for the hard work!

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

Thanks for the support everyone. :wave:

Does the reset function on yours work to get the default stuff?
Unfortunately not - the engineering sample was preset at 100% in both A and B, and I am not able to enter the special functions modes for SOS/strobe or reset.

A full shipping version is currently en route to me, and runtimes on default Hi and Lo will be my first priority when it gets here. :)

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast

Good Job. I've been waiting on a review of this light. I like the NDI and was hoping to see some new offerings in 14500 that were brighter. Still not sure if this is the ticket or not. I will spend some more time digesting your review. I think I would like to see a little more run time on max. I think this light is laboring just a little to hard to achieve max output. Low runtimes and Heat. This light needs a P7 :laughing:. I think I'm talking myself out of it.

Thanks For the review Selfbuilt.

Bill

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

FYI, I've just updated the main post with low mode runtime results on alkaline (an impressive 44hr 12min). That makes it nearly as efficient as the NDI on Lo with alkalines. :thumbsup:

I like the NDI and was hoping to see some new offerings in 14500 that were brighter. Still not sure if this is the ticket or not.
Yeah, the NDI is definitely the elephant in the room for those considering the IBS! Honestly, I can't see too many NDI users "upgrading" to an IBS (unless they really want the output on 14500), but it does make it a lot more interesting for those trying to choose between the two.