Best throw incan for under $100?

painless

Newly Enlightened
I love the color and out put that my cheap little Brinkman Max offers, but I am now wanting for an Incan that is still relatively small and runs on CR123s. I would love a Microfire or AE yet these are quite a bit out of my budget. It will be used primarily for out side use in the woods for spoting nocturnal woodland critters and impressing my friends. Looking for strength and durability with around a 50min runtime at 200+ lum, good throw. Any sugestions????? Does it exist????:thinking:

I plan on purchasing a TK-10 for carry and to compliment my bedside 1911. But the light quality blows for out door use to see color detail.

P.S. If it,s not obvious, I am a bit new to the high output flashlight world.
My strongest lights are a 4D Mag and a Brinkman Maxfire. Sad, I know.:shakehead

Last edited:

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Best throw incan for under $125?

Wolf Eyes makes a few large reflectored lights in that size range and should fall under that budget. I'd suggest a SureFire turbohead setup, but the cheapest one is the G3 + KT2, and that's well over $125. If you don't mind buying used you may be able to pull off that setup on your budget. Also check out the Streamlight TL-3.

Last edited:

Gunnerboy

Enlightened
Re: Best throw incan for under $125?

:welcome:

The Brinkmann Maxfire is great little light! IMO, the most incan light you can get for under $25.

I recommend building a Mag2C with a 6V KPR112 bulb driven by 3xCR123's. This is a THE entry-level incandescent mod. The bulb is overdriven from spec so it's bright. You're using the stock Mag reflector so it's focusable and will have great throw. It's pretty cheap to operate, but I suggest only buying U.S.-manufactured CR123A cells (for safety).

This was my first modded light and gave me hours of fun. Definitely a confidence builder.

Cheers,
Gary

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're in luck. "While supplies last," Pacific Tactical Solutions is selling the Wolf Eyes M90 for $100, complete with two 168A cells and fast charger. The M90 puts out 200 lumens for 80 minutes. But wait, there's more! The deal includes a second lamp assembly, the 380-lumen Lumens Factory HO-9L.

At this price, I wouldn't expect any further discount when you log in as a CPF member.

painless

Newly Enlightened
Damn, I thought you guys were going to make this easier for me!!!!!:thumbsup: I'm startin to get a little over excited! Man that Wolf Eyes deal is VERY tempting! Is the Wolf Eyes a reasonably durable\dependable product?? Are they close to SF or at least as durable as the Mag? Like I said, I am basicly one of the so called "unenlightened masses" at this point in my flashaholic infection :duh2: Thanks for the welcome Gary

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would say, and there are many that agree with me, that Wolf Eyes is the closest of the Chinese companies to SureFire in terms of build quality. Their lights are very strong to the point of being overbuilt.

Gunnerboy

Enlightened
That's a sweet deal, especially being turnkey. PTS is a great dealer too. I love my HO-9 lamp.

My suggestion was just to save you money, while getting experience and satisfaction building your first mod.

Gary

Wattnot

Enlightened
The Rattlesnake is a great choice . . . but . . . .

How about 1/2 the size and 1/2 the price? The Wolf Eyes Raider is 200 lumens and can take the D26 versions of the same high output lamps if you want more. It can take two 18500 rechargeables or 3 CR123 primaries with the same lamps installed.

Check it out! The only thing is I'm not sure if the throw is enough for you or not . . . . I haven't paid too much attention to how far it throws.

painless

Newly Enlightened
The M90 and M100 lights that are sold as rechargable must be used with the specified rechargable battery?
Or do they have the versitility to be used with CR123(at the expense of shorter runtime and preformance) as an option wtihout damage to the light ???

I have not purchased one of the Wolf Eyes yet, I am still undecided between buying the M90 or M100,.... and doing the Mag2C KPR112 6v mod:thinking:
I have been know to be indecisive when given so many good options:banghead: I am thankfull for the input though........I think???

Wattnot

Enlightened
They are designed to take a battery with an 18mm diameter. A long string of 14 mm batteries (CR123's) would not only double the designed voltage but that many in a straight tube with that much wiggle room would probably not even hold contact very well, but I'm just guessing. Soime lights do it with 3 or 4 and it works but 6 or 8?

painless

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the patience guys. One more question and that is IT, I promise.

Can the M90 be upgraded with the M100 head, but not the other way around ? I looked over at the PTS site and it looked that way. Is this correct?
If correct,I think the smart choise for me would be to get the M90, and upgrade/diversify it as a modular system as needed.

The last question is, for the Mag2C KPR112 mod, would the Titanium CR123s over at Bat Junc be an acceptable/safe power source??

I am probably going to trash my budget (and **** of my wife) and do BOTH the Mag mod and buy the M90.

Lighthouse one

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Titanium are a decent quality 123. Many cpf members have used them. THe panasonics are top quality..have about 25% more power. More chance of a Titanium going bad then the Pan.
You may have trouble finding the Radio Shack bulb. What works just as good is the Maglite Magnum STAR xenon for a 5 cell light. THis a hotter bulb...it is not the standard Maglite bulb.

Last edited:

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Paul's Wolfeyes suggestion is a very good one.

If you can pick up an SL-T3 cheaply and add litho's 123 Carley lamp using 3x123 or 2x17500 cells, you will have a nice light, too.

Patriot

Flashaholic
These are all good ideas but I like the simplicity of the ready to go M90 / 100. It's a nice choice when faced with so many options. You stated that you wanted to keep things small and the M90 will be smaller than any mag options. If you decide to go up in size then it would be hard to beat and ROP (mag mod) or mag11 (another mag mod) These are readily available for sale on the forums. They'll also out throw either of the Wolf-eyes lights due to superior reflectors.

CPF member XPLRN is selling an ROP low (400+ lumens) and a mag85 (1100+ lumens) Here is a link if you're interested:
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=176006