Newbie Question: Nuwai X3 (3W Luxeon LED 2xAA)?

Kankujoe

Newly Enlightened
Out in the Woods, West Central Missouri, USA
A few companies are selling the Nuwai X3 (3W Luxeon LED 2xAA) flashlight under their own brand name.

I have a few rebranded under Cabela's (3W Luxeon LED), they claim 65 lumens. I have a few rebranded under Rayovac (both 3W & 1W Luxeon LED), they claim 80 lumens for the 3W and 45 lumens for the 1W.

I've also seen them rebranded as eGear S-2 (3W Luxeon LED) claiming 80 lumens.

Which set of specs is correct? Are the 3W rebranded versions using different bulbs for a yeild of 65 or 80 lumens? Is the 1W version yeilding 45 lumens?

The Cabela's 3W version claims burntime up to 6 hours. The Rayovac 3W claims burntime up to 2 hours. The Rayovac 1W version claims burntime up to 5 hours. The eGear 3W version claims burntime up to 1 hour. All these burntimes are using 2xAA regular alkalines. Which info is correct? They can't all be correct?

And how would this change using NiMHs (2100-2500 mah)? Or using 2100 mah LSD NiMH cells? Or Lithiums?

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Re: Newbee Question: Nuwai X3 (3W Luxeon LED 2xAA)?

The X-3(review) is around 60 lumen out the front, as for the "1W" version, I'm not sure but my guess would be 40 lumen.

Swapping in a current gen LED should double the output.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Re: Newbee Question: Nuwai X3 (3W Luxeon LED 2xAA)?

The are twice as efficient,(at least) so same power but double the output(same runtime).

As long as you can solder and have thermal glue/epoxy, the swap shouldn't be too expensive, probably under $15. The best LED for this swap is the Seoul P4 U-bin, lowest price would be $5.56 shipped, but it would take 2 weeks min to get to you(does the light use a LED on a Star or bare).

It should work something like this:

1) Open up the light to access the LED(probably just unscrew the bezel).
2) Unsolder the Luxeon III.
3) Clean up the heatsink pad.
4) Place a bit of thermal glue/epoxy on the heatsink area(where the older LED was). Enough so the base if the LED will be isolated from the heatsink.
5) Place the Seoul P4 U-bin to where the Luxeon III was.
6) Solder the LED in(make sure the polarity is right)
7) Reassemble the light.

That's how most LED swaps work.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
There are other sites too if you want the LED to arrive quicker(cost would be higher too). Many of them also have different choice3s of the Seouls. Different tints(warm, cool, neutral) and maybe Vfs (forward voltage).

Latest posts