Animal repelling LED flashlight?

herolet

Newly Enlightened
I know pepper spray, loud noise, and fire/smoke work, what about flashlights?

I've goodled a while but couldn't find any information about what color of light wild animals (Coyotes, wolves, bears, etc) are most araid of, in general, white, red, green, or blue? Or flashlights simply won't work at all?

Thanks.

Marduke

Flashaholic

I've goodled a while but couldn't find any information about what color of light wild animals (Coyotes, wolves, bears, etc) are most araid of, in general, white, red, green, or blue? Or flashlights simply won't work at all?

Thanks.

Perhaps the properly implemented laser would work better.

Such as a shark with a laser beam mounted to his head.... :whistle:

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've heard mixed experiences regarding the use of flashlights against attacking dogs. Some say the animal was stopped in its tracks, other say it had no effect whatsoever. All I can gather from that is that a flashlight isn't something I would like to rely on to get me out of a dangerous situation involving an aggressive animal. Especially not wild animals...and especially not a bear. In such a situation I think a gun/secure hiding place/very fast pair of legs would serve you much better.

Regards,
Tempest

Burgess

Flashaholic
I can state, from extensive personal experience . . . .

Raccoons, possums, rabbits, and skunks are

Not at ALL interested / disturbed by flashlight beams shining upon them.

:shakehead

Oh, they might initially NOTICE the light,

but after a brief look-see, they go back to doin' whatever they were doin'.

They've deemed it as "completely non-threatening".

_

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
C and D cell Mags can work well, if you employ sufficient enthusiasm. :twak:

This technique, however, is not recommended for bears.

Rich Mulvey

Newly Enlightened

Thanks.

Wild animals, pretty much as a rule, will do their very best to get as far, far away from you as possible, as quickly as possible. Worrying about one attacking you is about as productive as worrying about getting hit on the head by a meteor. Usually, the people who get into trouble have also been abysmally stupid by coaxing them to come closer with food or other objects.

For example, I hike where there are bears. A LOT of bears. We see them just about every night when tenting. Unfortunately, they've also been conditioned to get close in to camp because there are too many people who have taught them that they can get free and easy food by not having it properly secured.

The best defense against them? A really loud whistle, and banging on pots and pans. Waving a flashlight around would probably just make them curious enough to come closer and see if *you* might be hiding a snickers bar in your pocket. :)

So spend a few bucks on a whistle, and you'll be fine. And it won't even need batteries. ;-)

- Rich

2manybikes

Newly Enlightened
I can state, from extensive personal experience . . . .
Raccoons, possums, rabbits, and skunks are

Oh, they might initially NOTICE the light,

but after a brief look-see, they go back to doin' whatever they were doin'.
They've deemed it as "completely non-threatening".

_

Correct.

I have put tens of thousands of miles on a bicycle with a 900 lumen bike light in the middle of the night. The animals wait until there is no car noise and then cross the road. When pedaling on a smooth road the bicycle is almost silent. So they cross right in fornt of me, sometimes I have to slam on the brakes. I have had a couple of close calls with deer.

Deer, coyote, possum, skunk, racoon, some cats and dogs, etc. Have no reaction to my bicycle light that is brighter than a 55 watt car headlight. None at all. If I say "lookout buddy" in a normal speaking voice, they run instantly. All of them, every time.
Domestic dogs and cats sometimes seem to understand.

They do not understand the steady quiet rolling noise of a bicycle. But they recognise footsteps as a possible predator. In the middle of the day I almost ran into a deer in the middle of the road, I was in view for a block but did not spook him until I was so close I could almost touch him.

I can see things a long way away in the dark (or light), better than my dog. He can hear and smell things in totall darkness that I can't sense. My T1 Fenix solves that problem nicely, if he reacts I shine the light in that direction. Usually a cat, sometimes a person walking a dog.

So far no skunks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

Garand

Newly Enlightened
Anytime I go where dangerous animals or dangerous humans lurk I take my M1 Garand or my AK.

herolet

Newly Enlightened
Thanks everyone for replying. For the last two years, there were a couple of cougar-attacks reported in the area (BC, Canada). I've got a 3-year old kid now and I do sometimes see coyotes (or maybe wolves) around where I live. I just want to know if there are bright flashlights or tools that are effective, relatively child-proof, and can be every day carried.

I think I am going to get a couple of loud whistles from Sports Check.

:p

Edit: Just clarify that by "child-proof", I meant to say that it won't pose much danger to kids when I leave the tools/flashlights at home. Didn't mean to let the kids to defend themselves against animal attacks. :D

Last edited:

germanshepherd

Newly Enlightened
Wild animals, pretty much as a rule, will do their very best to get as far, far away from you as possible, as quickly as possible. Worrying about one attacking you is about as productive as worrying about getting hit on the head by a meteor. Usually, the people who get into trouble have also been abysmally stupid by coaxing them to come closer with food or other objects.

For example, I hike where there are bears. A LOT of bears. We see them just about every night when tenting. Unfortunately, they've also been conditioned to get close in to camp because there are too many people who have taught them that they can get free and easy food by not having it properly secured.

The best defense against them? A really loud whistle, and banging on pots and pans. Waving a flashlight around would probably just make them curious enough to come closer and see if *you* might be hiding a snickers bar in your pocket. :)

So spend a few bucks on a whistle, and you'll be fine. And it won't even need batteries. ;-)

- Rich

Depending on where one lives this can be a concern. While I agree its not common its common enough to see on the news in CA and midwest of people being attacked by cougers etc. Where I live there is a problem with rabid animals and I recall seeing on the news of rabid fox attacks and racoons on people that was not provoked. Even stray agressive dogs can be a problem...That being said..I would not count on any flashlight to do any good. I have had one incident when walking my shepherd that another dog came aggressively towards us and he did not seem to mind my G2 at all..it was very dark but it had no effect on him. Whistle would be good idea..I agree.

iTorch

Newly Enlightened
The surefire website seems to state that a good light can be effective against dogs, I have used a mini mag (and a stick) to stun a possum, the light made it 'freeze" long enough for me to walk up to it and club it, and my cats are not big fans of my torch in the dead of night, they always look away (of course I am usually naked then so it might just be good manners).

Animals are not supposed to be able to see red light very well, but that might be an old wives tale, but i would not use a red light against an animal.

For kids self defence againt animals? A whistle and a big jacket-the bigger you look the less likely they are to attack.

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
Raccoons, ....

While I was putting out the garbage tonight a young raccoon decided to walk up the fence post (I wish I could do that) walked along the top of the fence and up on the roof.

I shined my little Dorcy 9-LED flashlight on it and the raccoon came down the roof to see me. Obviously raccoons do not fear bald guys with flashlights :D

precisionworks

Flashaholic
flashlights simply won't work at all?
They work very well, attached to an AR15 or 870 Remington:eek:

mp5handguard.jpg

GPB

Enlightened
I certainly wouldn't advocate putting a child in danger, but when you think about the number of cougar attacks each year ( only a handful ) and the millions of hours people spend outdoors, the risk is probably similar to winning the lottery.

Wattnot

Enlightened
All I can gather from that is that a flashlight isn't something I would like to rely on to get me out of a dangerous situation involving an aggressive animal. Especially not wild animals...and especially not a bear. In such a situation I think a gun/secure hiding place/very fast pair of legs would serve you much better.

Regards,
Tempest

Uh, yeah, where a bear is concerned, make it the legs because unless that gun is a high powered rifle or a shotgun with slugs, a handgun won't do a lot of good.

I'm on gun forums as well and there are stories about how little effect even a powerful handgun has on a bear. That might be why Smith&Wesson came out with that .50 caliber revolver. Shooting a bear with anything less would be similar to using a .22 pistol on a human. There's a good chance they'll die from the wounds (the human with the .22 wound or the bear with the .44 magnum wound) but it will be long after they're finished with you.

If you're ever faced where you need to use a handgun on a bear, I heard you would be better off shooting an arm or leg because the loss of balance could help. . . . then it's back to the fast legs. :whistle: