Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: P7 900 lumens MTE DX first impression

Default Re: P7 900 lumens MTE DX first impression

I was going to change the wires as they are super thin, not sure what gauge. When I was removing the pill, I accidently popped off the emitter, it was barely soldered on. So, since I had it off, I epoxied it to a P7 heatsink for maglite and dropped it direct drive in my 3D mag, what a huge difference. The beam is not as clean with the stock mag reflector, but it's super bright and adjustable. Not sure what bin this emitter is, but it's a lot brighter than when it was in the MTE.

I think I'll throw a P4 in the MTE since I have it all apart. I didn't take beamshots when I had the MTE together, but if anyone wants to see the potential of this emitter, I'll post beamshots of it my maglite.

Flashaholic*

I like this light. I've owned it for a couple of weeks and I use it a lot. It gets hot, but not so much at night. I use the surefire light diffuser (U2)and I'm a happy camper.

Quote Originally Posted by Photon_Whisperer View Post
    You sure of that?

I've looked at a lot of threads about this light and there is some
    more feedback on the Dx site.

From everything I've read, yes, it seems to suggest that its direct-drive
    with PWM for the different levels.

This would be the cheapest set-up and not very surprising for a light of
    its price.
    Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine

today i recived my mte p7 flashligt, an it doesnt seem to bee that bright compared to ohter q5 lights
    so i made a measurment
    my light draws only 1.9Amps @ high
    do you think its only because of the 18650 i use
    this are protected trustfires from dx
    is there any brand that delivers a higer current ?
    thanks
    Greetings
    Dr.

Flashaholic

Do you have other 18650s? I would not expect full output unless ~2.8 amps are drawn.

Quote Originally Posted by uluapoundr View Post
    I was going to change the wires as they are super thin, not sure what gauge. When I was removing the pill, I accidently popped off the emitter, it was barely soldered on. So, since I had it off, I epoxied it to a P7 heatsink for maglite and dropped it direct drive in my 3D mag, what a huge difference. The beam is not as clean with the stock mag reflector, but it's super bright and adjustable. Not sure what bin this emitter is, but it's a lot brighter than when it was in the MTE.

I think I'll throw a P4 in the MTE since I have it all apart. I didn't take beamshots when I had the MTE together, but if anyone wants to see the potential of this emitter, I'll post beamshots of it my maglite.
    So exactly how did you remove the pill? Does it screw out counter-clockwise?

Quote Originally Posted by PhotonChaser View Post
    So exactly how did you remove the pill? Does it screw out counter-clockwise?

Yes

Quote Originally Posted by ledaholic View Post
    Yes
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by fxstsb View Post
    Do you have other 18650s? I would not expect full output unless ~2.8 amps are drawn.
    The max current without upgrading the wires is 2.2A. (both OP & Kai Domain)
    I got 2.1A with freshly charged Ultrafire protected gray battery. Once the initial voltage spike is over I get 1.7-1.8A.
    Someone replaced the wires with a heavier gauge and got the full 2.8A.
    Last edited by LEDninja; 05-06-2008 at 12:45 AM.

I am also very disappointed at this light. Its not really bright
    for its SSC P7...

so do you think its only becaus of the resistance of the small wires ?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Skaramanga View Post
    so do you think its only becaus of the resistance of the small wires ?
    I finally got around to working on mine, the first thing I did was replace the wires with larger wire. I didn't notice any real difference, but all I have is my eyes to see any difference. Yesterday, I removed the pill, looked at the controller board and noticed three low value resistors in parallel and decided they must be the current limiter. I jumpered the resistors with a wire and am now a happy camper. I am now getting right 2.8A on a fresh charged 18650. If the photons out the front were a little more collimated, this would be a killer thrower. As it is, it throws pretty good, it just lights up everything in the way, out of the way, and all around! The more I use it, the more I like it. YMMV

Bob

I finally got around to working on mine, the first thing I did was replace the wires with larger wire. I didn't notice any real difference, but all I have is my eyes to see any difference. Yesterday, I removed the pill, looked at the controller board and noticed three low value resistors in parallel and decided they must be the current limiter. I jumpered the resistors with a wire and am now a happy camper. I am now getting right 2.8A on a fresh charged 18650. If the photons out the front were a little more collimated, this would be a killer thrower. As it is, it throws pretty good, it just lights up everything in the way, out of the way, and all around! The more I use it, the more I like it. YMMV

Bob
    Well done. My head is firmly epoxied onto my cell tube so I can't really get
    at the pill

One wonders why they felt the need to add this resistance since it doesn't
    seem to be necessary. (2.8A is the correct drive level for the P7)

Quote Originally Posted by easilyled View Post
    Well done. My head is firmly epoxied onto my cell tube so I can't really get
    at the pill
    Sure you can, you don't need to remave the head, just the bezel/reflector. Pull the reflector then with needlenose or equivelent unscrew the pill.

Sure you can, you don't need to remave the head, just the bezel/reflector. Pull the reflector then with needlenose or equivelent unscrew the pill.
    That's good to know, thanks.

Bob
    Ok, so I replaced the wires to heavier gauge and shorted across the resistors and tested it. Success! Slightly over 2.8Amps on a fresh charged 18650! I am very pleased with the 'Wall of Light' it puts out.
    Thanks a bunch!

PC

Quote Originally Posted by PhotonChaser View Post
    Ok, so I replaced the wires to heavier gauge and shorted across the resistors and tested it. Success! Slightly over 2.8Amps on a fresh charged 18650! I am very pleased with the 'Wall of Light' it puts out.
    Thanks a bunch!

PC
    Good news! I knew the LED had the potential. Wondering if the resistors are to control heat. I would assume this little light will heat up as my 3D mag gets hot with a larger heatsink, but since you have multimode, you won't have to leave it on high all the time.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by uluapoundr View Post
    Good news! I knew the LED had the potential. Wondering if the resistors are to control heat. I would assume this little light will heat up as my 3D mag gets hot with a larger heatsink, but since you have multimode, you won't have to leave it on high all the time.
    Agreed, I'm sure the resistors are there for a reason. I can't see MTE purposely limiting the output unless it was seen as necessary. I'd like to hear more from people who run this for a while on high with those resistors bypassed to see if this leads to the magic smoke escaping.

Enlightened

just bridged my resistors. Doesn't seem brighter to the eye. anyone have some measurements b4 and after?

How do you rewire it to get a single mode?

Quote Originally Posted by lctorana View Post
    How do you rewire it to get a single mode?
    Easy, just remove the pill, remove the controller board and you have direct drive/single mode. You can also take the switch assembly apart, remove the solder bridge and insert a resistor for low mode if you want a 2 mode light.

Flashaholic

Awesome! Ledaholic and Photonchaser, any chance you could take a pic of the bridged resistors (for the component identification-challenged)?

Thanks!

Enlightened

ok, well, I took out the circuit board and I used much thicker wire too.
    It is noticably brighter.
    Is the circuit board that limiting even with the bridged resistors or was it just the wires? if it's just the wires, I may put the circuit back in with those resistors bridged.
    Last edited by daich; 05-07-2008 at 10:49 AM.

Enlightened

What would cause a direct driven light to flicker?

my guess is either the switch or battery.

I'm using DX trustfire 2500's unprotected if that matters.

it's annoying.

Enlightened

Bob
    Woul it be posible to get a pic or two ? how you jumpered the resistors with a wire , I dont have the know how ?

Enlightened

Got my two-mode version today. As far as I can see, there's just a simple resistor in the switch, and otherwise it's direct drive. So the tail switch alternates between bright (0.5 ohms) and dim (8.6 ohms). If I connect my multimeter in place of the switch, it draws 2.4 amps (Trustfire protected cell, 3.86v, so not fully charged).

Not sure if that 0.5 ohm resistance would make any difference to the current (though I guess I should be able to work it out).

Quote Originally Posted by pbs357 View Post
    Awesome! Ledaholic and Photonchaser, any chance you could take a pic of the bridged resistors (for the component identification-challenged)?

Thanks!

This is a picture prior to adding the bridge. Those three resistors are in parallel and all you need to do is solder a small wire from one side to the other.

PC

Enlightened

Very helping thank you

Flashaholic

Does anyone know the drive current on low and medium with the resistors bridged?

I'd love to have 90 minutes of run time on medium with a 45 minute turbo mode available, if I need it.

*Flashaholic*

I just found this thread, and mine arrived single mode. I loaded a couple SF123 primaries and tail-capped .38A after being disappointed with the output. Someone suggested I try an Li-ion, and I tried a ~16850 hot off the charger, which woke it up! (2.4A at the tailcap according to my Fluke!) As of today it has decided to be a 5-mode with the strobe and SOS. n: Add that I lack a clue now as to what level/mode is going to come up after it's sat for a while. n:

I did a ceiling-bounce against my SF M6/mn21 with fresh cells and got 9.75 Lux for the DX vs 17.9 for the M6. Ordered some 18650s on general principal. It makes a lot of light, and even with the poorly-centered LED, there is no hole in the beam. Otherwise, mechanical fit and finish are decent. Window is glass, but the head has been "epoxied."

I see the Seoul P7 as having potential in portable illumination tools!

Larry
    So much for not being able to find my happy a** with both hands and a flashlight! (Do not look into Tank Searchlight with remaining eye!)

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast