battery suggestion

Status
Not open for further replies.

TNY

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone, This is my first post, but i have been lurking in the forums for about half a year. I have finally gotten my first Arc flashlight. I got the ARC-LSH from countycomm and i was wondering if anyone here has tried feeding their arc with the 1/5A NiMH 400mAH batteries from batteryworldcenter. it appears they would get 1/3 shorter runtime, but i think they could be a good solution if you were to buy a good amount of them (10 or so). any thoughts?

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think Whistler's 1/5A 400mAh is the only solution right now. I too have been searching for suitable substitute for a CR123A but non come closer to this. A nimh is peaks at 1.4v, drops to 1.3v easily. Two ganged up makes 2.6-2.8v pretty close to 3v lithium. Plus the physical size fits.

IMHO buying in bulk of 10 is a good idea, personally I would buy even more depending on light usage. A set of well cared nimh will last you about 600-800 charges. Depending on your application, as long as you don't put extremely huge load on your batteries they will be fine. Keep in mind that our torches will last a long time, but nimh/nicd has a lifespan of 3-5years as they will self-decay and lose their charge capacity.

If they last 600-800 charges, then you would be saving some money. But time and money spent on maintaining batteries might put you off, and end up buying those Lisun at $0.80 a pop which is really great. I will still stick with nimh for everyday light but use a lithium for critical mission. We are here to make earth better! not to produce more CR123A junks!

Question now is that where can we get 1/5A nimh other than batteryworldcenter? Anyone has a substitute for 1/5A?

TNY

Newly Enlightened
The lisun cells do look extremely attractive as an option, and i know that i would certainly get quite a few of them. I wanted to use the 1/5A nimh batteries for everyday use, but if i went camping/hiking, which i frequently do, i would definately bring some lithium batteries with me as well.

Tomas

Banned
I use the "1/5A" NiMH cells from Battery World Center in my EDC Arc LS Hybrid and am quite pleased with them. Yes, run time is short (45-65 min.), but I do keep a couple of CR123A's as backup, "just-in-case."

I converted an old 2AA NiMH charger to physically handle the "1/5A" cells, and even though it's very ugly it works just fine and the batteries appear happy. Currently I'm cycling three sets of two of the "1/5A" cells in my Arc LS.

tomsig03.gif

-= MICROSOFT FREE ZONE =-

Status
Not open for further replies.