Case or carry pouch for Mag85?

Brett80

Newly Enlightened
I am in the process of building my 1st Mag85 w/ a 3D host and I would like some sort of case to protect it. I was thinking something made of nylon or neoprene with a zipper would be perfect.

The best thing I have found so far is a knife case made by Maxpedition called the R-14 Razorshell.
http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=25&idproduct=438
It has an internal storage area that is 14 x 4.5 inches. Does anyone have any other suggestions on what they use to carry and protect their lights??

I hope this is the best place to post this question - someone please correct me if I am wrong. Thanks.

Brett80

Newly Enlightened
Wow, those cases are fantastic. I sent him a reply about any 3D cases. I really just wanted a very small case to carry the light, the less bulky the better. I tried searching the forums for a post I saw from a guy who was selling a Mag mod with some sort of zipper case, but I haven't been able to find it again.

EvilPaul2112

Enlightened
I used to own that modded mag pictured with the case. Thats a knife case that are available at gun shows throughout the country. They come in many sizes. I dont know where to get them specifically, but I would try on some knife websites or eBay. I purchased that case at a gun show in Illinois.

VegasF6

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it is the post I am thinking of, I too saw it for sale. The reply was when he bought the light it came with the case, and no one was sure of the source. That got me looking, as I was really hoping to find some on the cheap to include with lights I build for other people. About the cheapest I could find was the raine knife case - large. It was a little more than I wanted to spend for like 10 of them, but I will probably order 1 or 2 to try them out. I don't want to send a link to one particular retailer, but if you do a google search for raine knife case large you should come up with plenty in the price range of 10-15$.

From what I read in general the raine products are not really high end, but they look like they will meet my needs. If anyone has products by this manufacturer, please post your impressions.

Also, if you look for randall made cases there is a 4x13 cordura case that looks pretty good. Here is the one I am talking about, but I am not endorsing the product or the seller. (is it ok to post ebay links on here? I hope so, it is only for demonstration purposes)
http://cgi.ebay.com/RANDALL-MADE-KN...oryZ4719QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Brett80

Newly Enlightened
That was the exact case I was talking about. Those Randall Made cases you found are perfect - they come in several sizes too! I may have to make a purchase to see how they fit....

Brett80

Newly Enlightened
I ended up buying one of the Randall Made cases on eBay and it fit my Mag85 w/ Kiu VL bezel perfectly. For any one who wants a durable, zipper case for their 3D mag - this one works great! My case is 14" x 4.5" - i think there are also 11" and 17" cases.

VegasF6

Flashlight Enthusiast
I must have missed the fact you have a Kiu bezel. I would have bought you the Randal made case in exchange for the bezel! Sigh, when will he do another run of those?

I picked up a little cheaper padded case, it is 4x13 and it is extremely tight. I am afraid the zipper is going to scratch up my bezel. I am glad to hear the Randal fit well, I will have to break down and get it.

Brett80

Newly Enlightened
I actually just purchased the Kiu bezel from a resale offer in the original Kiu sales thread. It looks great on my pewter mag.

The bezel makes my 3D a really tight fit in the case. A regular size 3D with original bezel (or the smaller Kiu crenelated bezel) would fit just fine. It's a well made case, I would recommend it.