6C mag mod ideas

jaybiz32

Enlightened
I recently ordered a 6C unbored mag. I ws looking to see if anyone had any suggestions for battery pack/bulb options for a hotwire. I considered 6 nimh c cells running the ROP high. But was wondering if anyone has any other good combos using custom packs etc...

kavvika

Enlightened
6 NiMh C cells will get you the baddest ROP around, with over 1 hour of runtime. You need a 5Mega aluminum reflector (I'd recommend LOP or MOP) and a glass window. I purchase mine in packs of 5 from KD, for only $3.

In terms of least to most bright bulbs for 6 NiMh cells it goes:
Maglite 5/6 cell bulb-->Sears 6v lantern bulb-->ROP Low-->WA1111-->ROP High

I say go for broke with the ROP high bulb. There's nothing that can compare to 1k incandescent lumens.

The best NiMh C cells are the 4.5k mAh Accupower's from Thomasdistributing.com, which cost ~$15 a pair. They're LSD so it'll always be ready to go, even one year after the last charge. If you want to spend a bit less on batteries, all-battery.com has 5k mAh cells for $4.50 a piece.

Last edited:

davidt

Enlightened
This morning I was searching for a website to purchase a 6c host. I was thinking 4 emoli cells from a milwaukee v28 battery pack and using either an osram 64440 or osram 64447. If i can get this hotwire to work I'll get over 2000 estimated bulb lumens.

I am low on funds right so I won't be pursuing this hotwire for a while.

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
This morning I was searching for a website to purchase a 6c host. I was thinking 4 emoli cells from a milwaukee v28 battery pack and using either an osram 64440 or osram 64447. If i can get this hotwire to work I'll get over 2000 estimated bulb lumens.
Do this, or something similar with Emoli Cells. 6C hosts are pretty rare, so you may as well get they most you can out of them.

If you want to do an ROP, you can either load up 2 emolis in a 3C, or 2xAW C in a 2C, either of which would be nicer than a 6C NiMH ROP IMO.

mdocod

Flashaholic
Yea, if you have the money I definitely agree with loading it full of emoli cells and driving a monster bulb.. A KIU C socket, some resistance fixes, glass and aluminum on the business end, the right bulb, and you're in business.

FILIPPO

Flashlight Enthusiast
another way to go with 6 "C" nimh is the philips 5761 bulb (spec: 35W @ 6V).

this bulb can give you a good compromise power/runtime...assuming that's 5,5Ah @ 7,2V you'll get 40+min with 4,5Ah batteries and about 1500BL...

mdocod

Flashaholic
You could also probably fit 9 4/5-SubC cells in there, make it a Mag85 if you wanted to :)

With a tailcap mod, I'm betting you could fit 12 2/3A cells in there and make something pretty vicious...