Lumapower IncenDio Q5 Review: RUNTIMES, PICS, and more.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
UPDATE 11/14/2008: My review of the 18650-sized Encore version of this light is now up.

REVIEWER'S NOTE:This comparison review will compare the Lumapower Incendio to other lights in its class (single CR123A/RCR). The light was provided free of charge by Lumapower for review.

This light is Lumapower's newest offering, and is a bit of departure for the company. Many of their general-purpose lights have been fairly bulky, and their thrower models typically have especially wide and long heads (to accommodate deeper reflectors for more throw).

In contrast, this single CR123A/RCR Cree Q5 light is designed to be as small as possible, while still using a clicky (and a forward one at that). I'll forgo detailed specs and get right to the pics:

Incendio-8.jpg

As you can see, the kit comes with a nylon holster with closing flap, extra o-rings, instruction manual, and warranty card. The belt holster is fairly substantial, but I can't really see myself using it for such a small light (and I personally generally prefer holsters without a flap anyway). Still, better than some makers who don't give you anything!

For scale reference, below is a pic of a Surefire CR123A, the Incendio, Fenix P2D-Q5, Horus FD-1.3, Lumapower DminiD-Q2, and a MXDL 3W twisty lux clone (not used in the runtime comparisons – just here as a size reference for a really small twisty CR123A light).

Incendio-1.jpg

As you can see, the light is quite small for a clicky CR123A light. I'll give detailed runtimes against the P2D-Q4, Horus FD-1.3 and DminiD-Q2 later in this review.

I've taken body measurements with my electronic caliper and postal scale and get the following:

Overall length: 76mm
Width: 20-21mm (thickest at the head knurling)
Battery tube wall thickness: 1.9-2.0mm
Weight: 31.2g (without battery)

Incendio-2.jpg

The light has "type II+" black anodizing, according to Lumapower. Apparently, this is some sort of enhanced type II anodizing, but not as thick as hard anodized (HA, aka type III). Lumapower claims this is equivalent to what some other makers call type III - but obviously we would all rather see confirmed HA if possible. Lumapower's other lights are typical type III (although I recall the black MRVs were only type II).

Anodizing and lettering is perfect on my specimen, no chips or flaws on the visible exterior surfaces. In fact, that is probably some of the finest lettering I've ever seen – especially the individualized serial number. May mean something for young'ns out there, but it doesn't do much for us old geezers starting to loose our near vision ;) Still, an impressive feat as the lettering is very crisp and clear.

The body features some knurling around the head and tail to help with grip (it is fairly mild, but does the job – better than perfectly smooth lights). Light also comes with a thin metal clip attached to the base (not removable). This is probably more useful as an anti-roll feature, since I can't see too many cases where you would need to clip the light in the same direction as the bezel points (i.e. clip is really designed for holding the light when not in use).

Incendio-3.jpg

Tailcap is a forward clicky, covered with a GITD switch cover. Switch is recessed so that the unit can tailstand when the light is activated. When off, the switch protrudes enough to cause a fairly severe wobble. I must say, this is the first time I've seen a light this small with a forward clicky switch that could tailstand (when activated, at any rate). :thumbsup:

Switch has a pretty good feel for my thumb and index fingers – not too stiff, not too loose. The traverse is also fairly typical. No problems so far in my testing, quite comfortable.

Incendio-6.jpg

Unfortunately, the switch is not accessible by the end user, so no replacement or adjustment would be possible – you would have to send a malfunctioning light back to the manufacturer/dealer. Apparently, that's the price you pay for keeping the overall length down. :shrug:

Incendio-7.jpg

As you can see above, the Incendio uses the new "silver" version of the Cree Q5 emitter (i.e. the area outside central die is silver in color, instead of the standard Cree yellow). My understanding is that there are no output differences between the silver and yellow versions, and these simply reflect different manufacturing plants. Also note the GTID o-ring in front of the lens.

Incendio-4.jpg

The IncenDio has enough screw threads on the body tube to do the job, but they are not exactly plentiful. Threads are smooth and arrived clean and in good shape. Threads are not anodized, so no lock-out is possible. You'll note the clip doesn't get in the way of the head, so potential scratching won't be an issue as it is on some lights.

The contact surface on the inside head has a plastic cover with a slightly raised brass contact point in the centre – this doesn't appear to be removable. But it does mean that contact shouldn't be an issue, even with relatively flat top batteries (although all RCRs I've seen typically have button tops anyway).

Note that my blue-label protected AW RCR batteries are a little too thick to fit inside the battery tube. Black-label protected AW RCRs fit fine, as do unprotected batteries (which I don't recommend, as the light doesn't have a low voltage protection circuit). My gray-label protected Ultrafire battery fits, but it is a bit tight.

Incendio-5.jpg

Surprisingly for such a small light, the head can come apart to reveal the emitter and OP aluminum reflector (which can be unscrewed from the head piece). This would also allow you to adjust the reflector height somewhat (i.e. unscrew the head to defocus). The contacts for the emitter are protected by a little black plastic disc (removed for the pic above). This should facilitate swapping emitters, should you so choose.

Digital control:
  • The IncenDio has 3 output modes (Hi – Med – Lo), accessed in a looping sequence by soft-pressing the clicky repeatedly. To select the desired mode , simply press the switch further until the click is made, then release.
  • The light has a memory mode – if you leave if it on for more than 2 secs in any given mode, you will see a quick flash telling you that setting is saved. Next time you turn on the light, you will still be in that mode (soft-press if you want to cycle further from there).
  • Light has no SOS or strobe mode.
  • Light is current-controlled for its low modes, so no PWM flicker. Typically, I've found that current-controlled lights are more efficient that PWM, but can't go down to as low output levels. See below for output/runtimes in the IncenDio's case.

Beamshots:

Comparison taken at ~.5 meters from a wall, to show you the different overall spill patterns. All lights are running on AW RCR max.

Incendio-500.jpg

Incendio-100.jpg

Incendio-25.jpg

As you can see, the Incendio has a very nice beam. In fact, this is one of the smoothest beams I've seen from a Cree light – relatively little evidence of the dreaded Cree rings. Although my sample is excellent in stock form, you could always defocus the beam a little further by unscrewing the head portion (this sometimes help lessen rings with Crees) .

Spillbeam is also wider than most lights, with a smooth transition from spot to spill. So how does it throw?

IncendioSummary.gif

As you can see, it's not exactly a massive thrower, but it's not bad for its size. As you'll also note, output/throw is a bit higher on RCR compared to primary CR123A.

I must say, I am rather pleasantly surprised here – this is a fairly useful beam pattern from such a small light. Good job! :thumbsup:

Runtimes:

Testing Method: All my output numbers are relative for my home-made light box setup, a la Quickbeam's FR.com method. My relative overall output numbers are typically similar to his, although generally a little lower. You can directly compare all my review graphs - i.e. an output value of "10" in one graph is the same as "10" in another.

To start, I thought I'd compare primary CR123A and RCR runtimes invidiually. I've plotted Hi-Med-Lo on the same graph, but at two different output and time scale resolutions, to help you see the runtime patterns better.

Primary CR123A – long output and short time scales
IncendioPrim1.gif

Primary CR123A – short output and long time scales
IncendioPrim2.gif

RCR (black label) – long output and short time scales
IncendioRCR1.gif

RCR (black label) – short output and long time scales
IncendioRCR2.gif

Preliminary Output/runtime observations:

• The Incendio is fully regulated on both RCR and primary CR123A. Note that output is a bit higher on RCR, in all modes.
  • Runtimes on primary CR123A are quite good, and remarkably consistent with Lumapower's published specs (i.e.: ~2 hours on Hi, ~35 hours on Lo). Regulation is also quite good.
  • Runtimes on RCR are not quite as long as on primaries, but still very respectable (Lumapower made no claims about RCR runtime). Importantly, output is fully regulated on RCR – which is very impressive (and quite uncommon) in such a small light.
  • Relative output levels of Lo, Med, and Hi are very sensible, IMO. Lo mode is fairly low for this type of light (see comparison runtimes below for a greater discussion on this).

Of course, as with any light, how does its performance stack up to the competition? Below are some comparison runtimes for the other multi-level CR123A lights used in my size comparison.

Incendio-1.jpg

Note that output measures for the DminiD-Q2 are likely being underestimated somewhat on the graphs – my lightbox doesn't like really strong throwers!

Hi mode:
IncendioRCR-Hi.gif

Med mode:
IncendioRCR-Med.gif

Lo mode:
IncendioRCR-Lo.gif

IncendioPrimHi.gif

IncendioPrimMed.gif

IncendioPrimLo.gif

Note: this graph has recently been updated with the P2D-Q5 runtime. If you don't see the trace above, please re-load/refresh this page in your browser window.

Comparison Output/runtime observations:
  • Relative to its output, the Incendio has very good runtime efficiency in all modes on both primary CR123A and RCR. :twothumbs
  • IncenDio output/runtime efficiency on RCR seems to be as good or better than the DminiD (considering my DminiD is only a Q2, of course). Output levels are also roughly similar to the DminiD.
  • The only one of my single CR123A/RCR lights that can do lower output than the IncenDio is the Horus FD-1.3. But the Horus is a RCR-only light, so the comparison to a multi-power circuit is probably not fair. FYI, the Horus is also the only light with a low voltage cut-off circuit allowing use of unprotected RCRs.
  • Output/runtimes on primary CR123A show that the Incendio has lower output than the Fenix P2D-Q5 in all modes, but with typically similar runtime. This means that the Incendio is not quite as efficient as the Fenix, but is certainly not bad. The Incendio is also fully regulated on RCR, which the P2D is not.
  • Interesting output blip at the end of the Lo mode primary runtime on the Incendio. It surprisingly jumped up to initial brightness levels for the very last portion of its run. I've seen small blips before on some lights, but not usually this pronounced. Also, the light flashed (at a low intensity) for several minutes before finally going out.

Preliminary Discussion:

I've always been a fan of the truly small form factor – I like to keep small CR123A lights stashed away in various places as backup lights (e.g. each of my various jacket pockets, glove boxes, etc.). Up until now, these have typically been twisties (e.g. Fenix P1/P1D, or my SSC-modded MXDLs). But this is the first clicky version that meets my standard for a tiny stash-away emergency light (i.e. negligible size and weight, takes 1 CR123A, and can still tailstand).

User interface is quite good, and an improvement from previous Lumapower models (e.g. Dmini-D), but the memory feature still needs work. Regular readers of my reviews will know that I prefer a Lo-Med-Hi sequence, but a good memory feature can make up for that. Unfortunately, in this case you need to reset the memory every time you turn the light on (i.e. have to wait 2 secs for the memory to set again). If you just flash on quickly, and turn the light off before 2 secs is up, you will find that the light advances to the next mode the next time you turn it on. Unfortunately, I've seen this on a number of memory mode circuits – much better would be recalling the memory setting UNLESS the light was on for more than 2 secs (then, by all means, re-set to the new level). But like I said, at least this is a step in the right direction.

Personally, I quite like the look and styling of this new light, but your tastes may vary. I only wish the clip pointed the other way. I find bezel-pointing clips like this are good for larger lights that you want to stash on your belt for carry. But this light could be ideal for attaching to a brim of a ball cap to use as make-shift headlamp – but that requires a reverse pointing clip. Still, it least makes a useful anti-roll device. And the clever design means it won't scratch the finish while unscrewing the head (are you listening Fenix? :poke: ). Personally, I think a lanyard attachment with a lobster-claw style clip might also be something for Lumapower to consider as well.

Exterior styling aside, there's no arguing that this is one of the prettiest beams I've seen for a Cree light. :kiss: Beautiful smooth beam, only the faintest of Cree rings, and more than acceptable throw. What's not to love? Great for multi-purpose use. I've shown it around a little, and it has sure impressed family and friends for its size and output.

Another area where this light shines (pardon the pun) is in its very good output/runtime efficiency - although not as efficient as the Fenix on primaries (basically similar runtimes but with slightly lower output levels). But unlike the Fenix, the Incendio is fully regulated on RCR (where output is slightly higher than primaries). Good job, Lumapower. :thumbsup:

I'm going to start carrying this light around in my current jacket (bye-bye little P1 :eek:), and will let you know my experiences with it as time goes by. But so far, it's a happy little addition to my extended light family.

:wave:

UPDATE: May 3, 2008. Not to stir up controversy, but I've found my sample also has the now-infamous hidden SOS mode. Using the method described here, I've managed to elicit a very definite SOS mode once. But this was not easy to do - frankly, my hand has gotten sore from all the "smacking"! So I'm guessing there's a lot of variability in how sensitive individual lights are to entering this mode. Personally, I don't see this as a major issue - I certainly saw no evidence of the SOS mode in regular usage, and have only been able to elicit it once in all my testing. But I just figured you should know ... :whistle:

UPDATE: Sept 17, 2008: According to batteryjunction's website, it seems the Incendio has been updated to a V2. New features include a removable pocket clip, shortened memorization delay (now down to 1 sec), reverse polarity protection, and a switch that is supposedly now serviceable if needed. All sound like good upgrades to me!

Last edited:

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Outstanding review..... as always! Thanks not only for excellent review, but for taking the time to organize it in such a way that it's easy to read. It looks like a neat light, but that darn memory function does bother me..... so close......

Now there is finally some real competition to the Fenix P2D in the close to 50-buck range, small, lightweight, clicky, single CR123, flashlight category. Congrats to Lumapower for the success, because this will be one EDC light that will be hard to pass up.

Niteowl

Enlightened
............Unfortunately, in this case you need to reset the memory every time you turn the light on (i.e. have to wait 2 secs for the memory to set again). If you just flash on quickly, and turn the light off before 2 secs is up, you will find that the light advances to the next mode the next time you turn it on...........

I'm still trying to decide if the IncenDio is a keeper.

The above mentioned memory reset detail is the topmost item of three things I'm taking into consideration. I certainly don't need two seconds to switch levels and frequently use a light for less than two seconds, especially in low mode. I think maybe I can live with it. A one second window would be much nicer.

The deep switch action and lack of mid-body knurling are the lesser two items in that order. The light sat on a shelf for a several days until I decided to carry it and make up my mind. I think I can adapt to what I perceive as the IncenDio's negatives, for this is an otherwise excellent light.

One last thought is that I would perhaps classify this as a "gentleman's light" not unlike the finer knife I might carry when I "dress up". For me , that would be a T-shirt with a pocket. :)

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
It seems to be quite throwy for such a smal light.

I don't like the fact that the switch can not be replaced. Can the GITD switch cover be replaced?

Love the forward clicky!

Thanks for another great review SB!

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice review and runtime graphs. Boy, there sure is a difference in low between a primary cell and a rechargable cell. It would be cool to use this light with a small diffuser on low for tent lighting (long lasting).

Anyways, I think the 2 second memory is too long (especially since it must be memorized each time the light is turned on). One second would be much better and would be suggested for future improvements - even better would be memorize only once until the light is switched. Several times I have been in low mode and turned the light on for less than two seconds - then later when I turn the light on it comes on at full. Took a bit to realize what was happening.

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, selfbuilt, for another top notch review! The Incendio is calling to me, but I haven't answered...not yet at least. The biggest drawback for me is quite personal---I have lots of old style blue AW protected RCR123As lying around (and none of the newer black and silver), and I am so sorry to read that they're too chubby to fit in this slim little number! Oh well.....

Thanks again for your excellent work. :thumbsup:

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Comprehensive and authoritative. I do believe Doug's spirit lives on. :)
Well put MattK.

Thanks again for another great, informative review Selfbuilt.

In the runtime tests vs. other lights, you list runtimes for AW Blue label cells. Were these run using wires and aligator clips, or were you able to squeeze them in?

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Thanks for all the support everyone - it was a fun light to test and play with. :)

It looks like a neat light, but that darn memory function does bother me..... so close......
Yeah, I'm finding it's not so useful for EDC purposes (where I tend to flash a lot, so to speak :naughty:).

I used to EDC the Rexlight set to low, but found that frustrating because low is where you also switch between group states (i.e. you could flash below 2 secs, or wait until after 4, and memory was retained - but if you left the light on for between 2-4 secs, next time the light came on you were in a different group of settings).

I managed to get used to my DminiD without memory my simply pressing the light's head against my chest and cycling "blind" until I hit med or low, whatever I was going for. In that sense, this memory mode is definitely an improvement - but I agree, not quite all there yet.

I don't like the fact that the switch can not be replaced. Can the GITD switch cover be replaced? Love the forward clicky!
Unfortunately, the switch cover can't be replaced by the end user. The price you pay for a tiny light, I guess. :shrug: Which is too bad, because I imagine many would prefer black for EDC use.

I also like the forward clicky. In the past, I never really saw this as a big deal (most of my lights are reverse clickies). But once you get use to quickly flashing (there I go again! ;)) with a forward switch, it's hard to go back to a standard reverse clicky.

IOne last thought is that I would perhaps classify this as a "gentleman's light" not unlike the finer knife I might carry when I "dress up". For me , that would be a T-shirt with a pocket. :)
That's a good way to put it. :laughing: With the pocket clip, it would certainly be easy to stash on a belt in more formal wear, and the size is pretty tiny (although the GITD might draw some attention).

For me, I guess I still think of this as a great emergency/backup light for us as a secondary carry. That's how I plan to use it, sitting in my jacket pocket while my NDI or JB IBS sits on my belt holster. Now if only the clip were reversible so I could use it as a hat headlamp. :whistle:

Nice review and runtime graphs. Boy, there sure is a difference in low between a primary cell and a rechargable cell. It would be cool to use this light with a small diffuser on low for tent lighting (long lasting).
There is a difference, but it isn't so bad in practice. And good point - a diffuser would be a nice accessory.

In the runtime tests vs. other lights, you list runtimes for AW Blue label cells. Were these run using wires and aligator clips, or were you able to squeeze them in?
The biggest drawback for me is quite personal---I have lots of old style blue AW protected RCR123As lying around (and none of the newer black and silver), and I am so sorry to read that they're too chubby to fit in this slim little number!
You guys are sharp to spot that - my old blue-label AWs fit in the Horus, P2D, and DminiD, but are too fat for the Incendio. And I didn't feel like re-doing all my old blue-label runtimes in those lights. ;)

It's a shame about the old blue-labels, but this isn't the first newer light I've come across that won't take them anymore. :sigh:

Thanks for all the support everyone! :grouphug:

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm still beating the AW blue cell horse here, and seeing the Incendio broken down into 3 pieces got me to thinking.... I have a LP LM303 (now labeled as the LM33), and it likewise had problems fitting the wider AW blue RCR123As.

Likewise, the LM303/33 breaks down into 3 parts. I broke it down, and lo and behold was able to squeeze a blue cell in---it's a bit easier if you back it in from the front of the middle piece so as to save the small ridge at the front of the cell for last. As for removal, since both the head and the tailcap can be separated from the middle section holding the cell, it's really not that difficult to push the cell out the front.

So, if the LM303/33 and the Incendio happen to have the same inner diameter, maybe wider protected RCR123As could work in the Incendio after all?

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I'm still beating the AW blue cell horse here, and seeing the Incendio broken down into 3 pieces got me to thinking....
Hi AFAustin ... unfortunately, the 3 pieces doesn't included the tail end.

So, while I could definitely force my blue AW down the body tube (toward the switch), I don't know how I would get it out again.

In a light with a removable tailcap (like the LM33/303), I'm sure you could push it back out - but that's just not an option on the IncenDio.

UPDATE: Just updated the main post with the low mode runtime on P2D-Q5. Just hit your browser's reload/refresh button to see it, reproduced below:

IncendioPrimLo.gif

Last edited:

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi AFAustin ... unfortunately, the 3 pieces doesn't included the tail end.

So, while I could definitely force my blue AW down the body tube (toward the switch), I don't know how I would get it out again.

In a light with a removable tailcap (like the LM33/303), I'm sure you could push it back out - but that's just not an option on the IncenDio.

UPDATE: Just updated the main post with the low mode runtime on P2D-Q5. Just hit your browser's reload/refresh button to see it, reproduced below:

IncendioPrimLo.gif

Thanks, selfbuilt. I'm afraid I didn't pay close enough attention to the Incendio's body construction. :poke: My apologies.

I appreciate your reply, and thanks again for another outstanding review. :twothumbs

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Going through my data, I just realized my DminiD runtimes are in fact also with black label AWs, like the Incendio. It is only the P2D and Horus that were done on blue-label. I'll fix the graph legends when I get the chance. I may also try to repeat at least the Fenix runs on black-label, to help with the comparisons

I have lots of old style blue AW protected RCR123As lying around (and none of the newer black and silver), and I am so sorry to read that they're too chubby to fit in this slim little number! Oh well.....
You might want to invest in a few of the black-label for some of the newer regulated lights.

My previous comparison of the two types of AWs on the Horus (which is direct-drive on max) led me to think there wasn't that much of a difference between them. But on heavily-driven fully regulated lights like the Dmini digital and Jet-II IBS (which just arrived today), I'm seeing things like ~20mins for blue label vs ~30mins for black label, with only a minor output difference.

Anyway, I don't have all the data yet - I'll do a detailed battery comparison in the Jet-II IBS review when it's ready. Probably will take me about a week or so.

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
...Anyway, I don't have all the data yet - I'll do a detailed battery comparison in the Jet-II IBS review when it's ready. Probably will take me about a week or so.
I'm glad you'll be reviewing the Jet-II IBS - I always look forward to your great reviews. I love my Jet C-LE and the new Jet IBS's seem to have a lot of potential. Thanks again for the good work.