• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

GDx3 "BigMac" Converter @ 3.3A

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
Here's something that threw together that I will be using for an upcoming mod. I think it's pretty obvious what I will be driving with it.

Each GD is set to 1111 to give me a total of 3333. I will be potting it with alumina oxide.

I would love to measure the actual current output but I'm afraid. I've already blew a GD previously by the emitter lead falling off accidently when powered up. Is there something I could add to open load protection so I can measure current with confidence? Like a zener diode is it or something?

What kind of drawbacks will I run into using this setup besides the high cost?

Thanks

Img_1382.jpg

Img_1396.jpg

Img_1395.jpg

Img_1390.jpg

Last edited:

Supernam

Enlightened
Re: GDx3 Converter @ 3.3A

Dark...

I don't know the answer to any of your question, but the SandwichShoppe just came out with a GD3000 for $30.... J/K.:nana: We could only wish. Just wondering, are you doing 1 LiIon or 3 NiMh? Good luck!

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,

Dark...

I don't know the answer to any of your question, but the SandwichShoppe just came out with a GD3000 for $30.... J/K.:nana: We could only wish. Just wondering, are you doing 1 LiIon or 3 NiMh? Good luck!

Damn you! Almost had me! :laughing:

I bought GDs from the shoppe at different times & a couple on BST. So I had 7 GD boards on hand when I decided to do this. I'm going to run 1 Li-Ion.

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast

Here's something that threw together that I will be using for an upcoming mod. I think it's pretty obvious what I will be driving with it.

Each GD is set to 1111 to give me a total of 3333. I will be potting it with alumina oxide.

I would love to measure the actual current output but I'm afraid. I've already blew a GD previously by the emitter lead falling off accidently when powered up. Is there something I could add to open load protection so I can measure current with confidence? Like a zener diode is it or something?

What kind of drawbacks will I run into using this setup besides the high cost?

Thanks

If you can wait a day or two I can try this setup and verify the functionality.

I have a lot going on right now, but, I can try to squeeze this in.

Wayne

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,

If you can wait a day or two I can try this setup and verify the functionality.

I have a lot going on right now, but, I can try to squeeze this in.

Wayne

Sure I can wait. Really appreciate it Wayne.

Data sheet for the IC states 1.2A output max. Not sure what other components that take in effect to the over drive but I figure 1111 each should be ok.

Last edited:

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,

Ran some quick tests today.

P7 CSWOI emitter mounted on a LuxI star board & mounted on a finned 45mm x 45mm x 15mm heatsink

1x AW Protected C Li-Ion @ 4.1v

Peak Iin: 5.2a, after 2 min 4.0a continuous.

Iout: 3.35a continuous, vf: 3.2v

Only thing potted on the stack of GDs currently are the inductors but it wasn't for thermal reasons. After 1 min it got warm, after 3 mins if got uncomfortable to hold in the hand clinched tightly.

I feel confident using it & will go ahead with it. I'll be potting the GDs in alumina oxide & into a ecan but not directly to the bottom of the emitter heatsink. The host should be on it's way tomorrow. Should have it all done on the weekend for my birthday!
:party:

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ran some quick tests today.

P7 CSWOI emitter mounted on a LuxI star board & mounted on a finned 45mm x 45mm x 15mm heatsink

1x AW Protected C Li-Ion @ 4.1v

Peak Iin: 5.2a, after 2 min 4.0a continuous.

Iout: 3.35a continuous, vf: 3.2v

Only thing potted on the stack of GDs currently are the inductors but it wasn't for thermal reasons. After 1 min it got warm, after 3 mins if got uncomfortable to hold in the hand clinched tightly.

I feel confident using it & will go ahead with it. I'll be potting the GDs in alumina oxide & into a ecan but not directly to the bottom of the emitter heatsink. The host should be on it's way tomorrow. Should have it all done on the weekend for my birthday!
:party:

Awesome. Reminds me a McD Big Mac.

Wayne

nein166

Flashlight Enthusiast

Now thats thinking outside the Burger Box!
Nice job

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast

I always just solder wires when testing the current on converters before potting. I don't trust a clip to not fall off the LED!

I hope that thing has some SERIOUS heatsinking. That's a 500ma over drive and seoul's phosphor is not known for doing well with heat (tint shift). I have a P4 mounted very well and it will shift if pushed much farther than 1amp. but at 1amp it's fine so I don't like to overdrive them.

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,

I always just solder wires when testing the current on converters before potting. I don't trust a clip to not fall off the LED!

I hope that thing has some SERIOUS heatsinking. That's a 500ma over drive and seoul's phosphor is not known for doing well with heat (tint shift). I have a P4 mounted very well and it will shift if pushed much farther than 1amp. but at 1amp it's fine so I don't like to overdrive them.

I always solder my LED & converter connections. I don't have any extra set or DMM leads to solder wires to when testing for current. I've found a solution so I went ahead with testing.

My P4s will tint shift when overdriven in less than a minute. I ran the P7 I have for 5mins+ at 3.3A with no tint shift at all so I think I'm ok. The emitter was not even epoxied, only had Artic Silver 5 thermal grease during testing. I'm still testing different configurations though. I want to see how far I can push it.

Last edited:

Luminous

Newly Enlightened

Dark...

Where can I find a GD3000?

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
You can't. Well I could make you one if you really want but it's not practical, way too expensive.