Vienna sausage and Ramen noodles

clg0159

Enlightened
For some of you the title says it all! I actually bought these today and I know this may be typical college food, but it is my first time to actually have to eat it. :green: I blame it on rising gas prices and my falling financial aid (I am a full time Biochem student driving 30+ miles for class) As you might imagine this means no $$ for torches or parts which actually hurts worse than the taste of assorted animal byproduct sausages. Anyways, I guess I am trying to say is take nothing for granted.......and d@# I can't wait to graduate!!!!!

Knifekulture

Newly Enlightened
Stop it, your making me hungry. Just think about all the toys you will be able to purchase once you graduate and find a good job in the biochem industry. By the way vienna sausage and ramen noodles are a great breakfast food packed with protein and carbs. Sardines are tasty too (fish is good brain food).:D

greenstuffs

Banned
Stop it, your making me hungry. Just think about all the toys you will be able to purchase once you graduate and find a good job in the biochem industry. By the way vienna sausage and ramen noodles are a great breakfast food packed with protein and carbs. Sardines are tasty too (fish is good brain food).:D

How about some sushi? :poke:

h_nu

Enlightened
Lots of fat in this combination. I just add some frozen mixed vegetables and maybe some chili powder.

Illum

Flashaholic
As a college student me self I understand how you feel, Ramen n00dles are awesome only for that first two weeks, then you'll be dying for pizzas

Fix everything with duct tape, eat only ramen n00dles, drink only caffeine
...wasn't what I had in mind but I still managed to go through the 1st year as such:nana:

stephenmadpotato

Enlightened
I know what you need. Healthy choice frozen dinners, good for you and taste pretty dam good. Do you have any place to store them? If not, Nacho's and cheese are your best friend. I LOVE sargento reduced fat four cheese on some tortilla chips. Pop it in the microwave for one minute boom your done. Newmans Own salsa is delicous.

Ras_Thavas

Enlightened
I made this the other day:

Two packs of Ramen noodles.
One package of fresh asparagus.

Cook the Ramen as per instructions.
Steam the asapragus. Drain the Ramen noodles and place the noodles on a serving plate. Top the noodles with the freshly steamed asparagus. The drained noodles have a salty flavor that compliments the asparagus.

Only downside is your urine will smell funny for the next day.

kubolaw

Enlightened
I used to love vienna sausage with rice or ramen. Mix in some frozen veggies with the broth or rice, and the meal is complete! I survived on that stuff for a long time.

nbp

Flashaholic
This thread makes me glad I chose a university within driving distance and still live with my parents. Much cheaper, and mom's a better cook. They said I should be out by 25. :popcorn::popcorn: :whistle:

clg0159

Enlightened
I used to crack an egg in my ramen and sprinkle some chili oil or sesame oil on it. Where do you live clg0159?
I'm in Fort Worth Texas, but not sure where I will eventually settle:thinking: The more times I get to go camping/hiking , the more I am liking the northern half of the U.S.
.....BTW many great Ideas for Ramen ( I will have to try the egg idea w some chili oil ), the main issue I have is getting enough protein. I get hungry too fast without enough.
......oh and I agree that making your own food is cheap, but as crude prices rise, so do grocery prices. I hope things level off soon. I don't mean to sound depressing, I really am an optimist, just feeling the squeeze the days:hairpull:

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hope you're not drinking all that salty soup from the ramen! The noodles are fine, but the soup has tons of salt. I agree, mix an egg and sprinkle a little sesame oil on it. I beat the egg a little before mixing it.

You can get some Ragu Pizza sauce (or make your own with tomato sauce, some sugar, and some spices) and spread that on some french bread (halved) and add some mozzarella cheese, vegies and whatever else, and you got a great tasting pizza. If you've got a 99 Cents Only store near you, you can get lots of good food really cheaply. Sometimes, they've got the mozzarella, pizza sauce, peperoni and even the vegies. You can actually use any bread to make the pizza, even bagels, english muffins, tortillas, or toast. You can even make little pizza bites on Saltines, which is something I used to do as a kid. Spaghetti and other pastas are really cheap (also sold at 99 cent stores) and so is the sauce. You can have real spaghetti! (spaghetti sauce makes great pizza sauce!)

Then there's the fast food places....Carl's Jr. has a "Big Hamburger" for 99 cents. Jack in the Box and maybe Burger King, too, have two tacos for 99 cents. Little Caesars has a large pizza for $5, which can serve as several meals for one person.

Last edited:

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
THAT'S GROSS DUDE hahaha.... better you than me hahahaha.... in all seriousness, I've already been there, done that. I wouldn't touch Top Ramen for like eight years after getting my first decent-paying job. The ramen budget tends to be a fact of life for another two years or so after university.

I shared a house with two roommates, me and one of the guys did the grocery shopping, the other guy did the eating. It got to the point where we actually had to hide the groceries from roomie #3. We hid them in the only place we knew he'd never look (inside the dishwasher). I never did the vienna sausage, but I did do the 99-cent bulk bags of breakfast cereal and 99 cent Taco Tuesday at the local fine dining establishment.

This was 1994 and I was driving a 1968 Mercury Cougar at the time... even at $1.25 a gallon, gasoline was a major expense!

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
Want another good one? A baked potato, with say some melted cheese, or a little chill on it - you can stretch a can of chilli 2-3 days that way, and potatoes are CHEAP

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was a pasta freak when I was poor, also. Sometimes just cooked macaroni and mixed it with butter and some canned tomatoes and a lot of times the store brand macaroni and cheese. I still love Kraft macaroni and cheese, I just go much easier on the butter then what the directions indicate. Boy, I recall going into a Monday with maybe $10-15 dollars of food money to hold me over until Friday (this was 25 years ago). I would really skimp and hopefully have a couple of dollars left at the end of the week for a six pack of cheap beer.

clg0159

Enlightened
I was a pasta freak when I was poor, also. Sometimes just cooked macaroni and mixed it with butter and some canned tomatoes and a lot of times the store brand macaroni and cheese. I still love Kraft macaroni and cheese, I just go much easier on the butter then what the directions indicate. Boy, I recall going into a Monday with maybe $10-15 dollars of food money to hold me over until Friday (this was 25 years ago). I would really skimp and hopefully have a couple of dollars left at the end of the week for a six pack of cheap beer.

Yep, thats about right, only try doing it with the same funds and 25 years worth of inflation, beer is NEVER an option:mecry:I love beer...........