ArmyTek
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891013 ... LastLast

Thread: What Do You Drive?

Default Re: What Do You Drive?

Work truck - '97 Dodge Ram Cummins turbo diesel quad cab 4x4 dually. Many performance modifications. ~18mpg w/ standard load of tools, ~10mpg hauling a 15k lb trailer, ~21mpg completely empty(no tools etc.)

Toy truck - '91 S10 pickup, awd xfer case, quad cab, supercharged 6.2l diesel swapped in. Would have been easier to put an S10 body on a 1 ton chassis instead of putting a 1 ton drivetrain under an S10, but I've never been known to do things the easy way. Ask my wife. This truck is crazy fun; I wonder how long until the 6.2l blows up. No clue what mileage, I don't even keep track. If I put a brick behind the go pedal instead of on top of it then probably 25 or so.

Toy car 1 - '94 Mr2 Turbo

Toy car 2 - '06 WRX STi

In a drastic change from my SOP, both these cars are stock. They only get driven once every couple of months or so; the STi has ~5k miles on it. Not much clue on the mileage on either now, when I drive them it's for fun and I drive by the boost gauge. When I drove them more often it was 20-24mpg.

Wife's truck - '91 S10 Blazer w/ a Cummins 4bt swapped in, drivetrain and suspension modded to handle the weight. Some of you may remember me asking about diesel VW's, this is what we wound up with. Turned up the pump a bit but stock otherwise. My wife reports ~30mpg with a light foot on the throttle. I never did learn that trick.

All the diesels get biodiesel if at all possible. Working on a two tank heated system for my wife's rig so she can run WVO, SVO, or WMO. Will probably add a heater and heated fuel line to one of my Dodge's tanks as well.

I used to drive my cars often, but now I drive my fuel guzzling diesels even when I only need to move myself, precisely because they're run on biodiesel. The money stays in this country. My cars are rare treats.

Got Biodiesel?

Popcorn Re: What Do You Drive?

My daily driver is a New Ford Crown Victoria. 21 to 24 hy
    my #2 is a Toyota fj45 with a 351 ford V8 dont even ask mpg.
    and no I will not be going to a cracker box
    Lion cub nat ha w 168tube. Lionhart w 168 tube. Hds B60 W 2X123 Tube.Arc AA Arc AAA. Arc LS. Arc 4+ Inova X-1. X-5. Surefire P3. P6. P9. Z6. Z9. Z12. A2.
    I DO NOT TAKE. OR USE PAYPAL AKA PAYPOOP NO WAY DON'T ASK.

A 1973 Caprice Classic (400 c.i. mill) 10 to 14 mpg.
    "Man is the cruelest animal"
    Nietzsche

Every one knows what I drive; 2002 Toyota Prius. That's the generation 1.5 model that was made from 2000 to 2003. It just recently turned 72,000 miles.

I tried to keep mileage records, but that's almost impossible. I'm too forgetful.

I commute 62 miles or so a day(round trip) with about 50 miles of freeway and the rest surface streets. I climb a 700 foot hill twice each day. I spend at least 15 minutes a day in stop and slow crawl. At least once a week I spend 30 minutes in stop and go while climbing that grade. I also use that car for local trips like shopping, going to lunch, etc.

Despite these "challenges" I manage between 45 and 49 mpg at the end of the week. I could drive differently to maximize the mileage, but I don't. I drive it like I always drive.

What makes the hybrids in general great for a commute like mine is that the stop and go and the hill climbing have very little effect on the mileage. The Prius in particular is comfortable and capable, handling the hills and the freeway with ease.

My gas bill? About $35 a week. Do I come across as a fan of the Prius? I certainly hope so.

Daniel
    ================================================== =
    I have got to plan my procrastination better!

XRUNNER

thats a nice ass truck GLOCK18
    Greg

Enlightened

I drive a 1997 Lexus SC400 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lexus_SC). I get about 22 MPG in the winter and 24-26 MPG in the summer (I blame the slight winter decrease on the fuel additives they use during the cold months). It features what some folks consider to be the most advanced V8 made at the time. It has embarrassed a couple of Mustang drivers and a BMW owner or two...

One of the steeds but since converted back to drop bars...better aerodynamics.
    MPG...unknown

The daily gets about 26 MPG HWY, 18-20 MPG mixed.
    At the latest prices, I drove it ~500 miles this past weekend and spent $100 on gas. I usually drive it about 700 miles/month on average.
    Mike

I ride a bicycle, period. It's a semi-recumbent Sun Cruiser with three speeds in the hub. I haven't had a DL for well over 20 years. Mrs Umbra rides a high tech Dahon Mu folder.

The Southland with a RedBull in one hand and iPhone in the other

Eric and 4sevens need to post pics of their rides...

i drive a lifted '91 jeep cherok 4x4, with 306K on the ticker, and it runs like new, mobil1 synthetic is the best.
    And Teeming With Souls Shall It Ever Be.
    NOTICE: I'm a guy. Im to poor to buy cheap.
    Aeon- Smaller, Brighter, Better...

Flashaholic*

In 'Desert'... 2000 Toyota Eco (earlier version of todays Yaris) .. it gives about 16 (km / liter) = 37.6343333 miles / US gallon ... Considering Desert heat (AC's always ON)... it's fairly good for such an old car (175,000 km)...

Back Home (my native place) Mostly ride a Bike 16 HP (180 cc) that gives about 66 (km / liter) = 155.241625 miles / US gallon ...
    Last edited by ViReN; 04-28-2008 at 02:31 AM.

My daily driver during the winter is a 2007 Mazda 3s GT. I average about 32-33 mpg during the summer and about 27 mpg during the winter.

I then have a 2004 Honda 919 motorcycle that averages about 35 mpg.

Then I have a 1968 Buick Special Deluxe that used to be my grandpa's. Has about 39K original miles and gets around 18-20 mpg on the highway.

Finally I have a Dawes road bike that I got last year. I haven't ridden it any yet this year though. Here's the only I picture I have of it, though the handlebar is lower now than it was in this picture.
    Last edited by iced_theater; 04-28-2008 at 12:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ViReN View Post
    Back Home (my native place) Mostly ride a Bike 16 HP (180 cc) that gives about 66 (km / liter) = 155.241625 miles / US gallon ...
    I'm highly doubtful of that figure. Did you calculate it yourself or are you quoting the official marketing blurb?
    Modern fuel-injected four stroke 50cc scooters might get to 50, maybe even 60 km/l if you're gentle on the throttle, so it seems highly unlikely that a carburated 180cc could do better.
    Eat, drink and be merry, for tomorrow you may die.

Funny how mileage becomes the forefront of this conversation...well not funny, sad really (because of the cost).

2002 Saturn SL - Getting about 31mpg total average
    1972 Chevelle Malibu Getting about 12mpg total average. Just purchased a 4.3L V6 to swap so I can actually drive her once and a while.
    iced_theater, nice Buick. A-body's are my soft spot...309 in her?
    "We're talking a thermonuclear explosion, and...adios muchachos"

Quote Originally Posted by GLOCK18 View Post
    XRUNNER
    Cool Truck!

Here's some of my vehicles.
    Daily Driver

Weekend or hauling use.

Wife's vehicle

Flashaholic*

1990 Mazda Miata - 27 mpg average, 33-34 mpg on trips
    2001 Mustang Bullitt - around 20 mpg, never really bothered checking
    2005 Mini Cooper - 33 mpg average, 40-41 mpg on trips
    2007 Subaru Forester XT - 21 mpg average, 25 mpg on trips

Automobile related pursuits are my primary hobby, I enjoy racing my cars on the weekends (not on the street), taking them on trips, working on them, and just driving them. All four of our cars are a blast to drive, and all have manual transmissions. My wife and I both grew up driving cars with manual transmissions and I am more comfortable in them than with autos.

Gas prices haven't significantly affected our lifestyle or how we drive, I'd estimate that gas would have to top $10-12/gallon to do that. We average around $150/month for gas, but when we go on trips that number can rise quite a bit. We spent nearly that much this past weekend on a 900 mile round trip to Pennsylvania.

My wife and I do tend to commute in the Mini and Miata most of the time (except for winters when the Subaru sees heavy use), but that is as much for the fun factor as it is because they get decent mpg. The Mini and Subaru both require premium fuel (93 octane around here) though, which adds $.20/gallon to the cost.

We have no immediate plans to buy a more fuel efficient car, although there are plans to add another car or two to our fleet in the next few years. Top contenders are a new Mustang GT and/or a Corvette and probably a newer Miata as well.
    Ha ha, you fool!! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders. The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Asia; and only slightly less well known is this: Never go against a Sicilian, when death is on the line!

Quote Originally Posted by NeonLights View Post
    1990 Mazda Miata - 27 mpg average, 33-34 mpg on trips

That car is like a go-cart. I know it much be a blast to drive. Is it a convertible too?

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroz View Post
    That car is like a go-cart. I know it much be a blast to drive. Is it a convertible too?
    Yeah, it is a lot of fun to drive. It only has a modest amount of power, but since it weighs less than 2100 lbs, it scoots along rather nicely and handles like a dream.

All Miatas sold in the US are convertibles, but I have the removeable hard top as well as the standard folding soft top, and with the hard top installed it makes a nice looking little coupe. I usually have the hard top on from November until April, and leave it off for the warmer months.
    Ha ha, you fool!! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders. The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Asia; and only slightly less well known is this: Never go against a Sicilian, when death is on the line!

I'm impressed at how many people own more than one or two vehicles.
    Around here, with taxes and insurance, owning more than, say, a car and a bike becomes quite prohibitely expensive for anyone who isn't normally defined "considerably well off". The concept of having a car for winter and one for summer is almost unheard of for us mortals.

Flashaholic*

I'd love to have a miata, it was one of my options when I was looking for a vehicle. But I'm a bit tall to fit in one comfortably, and they don't do too hot in foot deep snow.

Quote Originally Posted by Fallingwater View Post
    Around here, with taxes and insurance, owning more than, say, a car and a bike becomes quite prohibitely expensive for anyone who isn't normally defined "considerably well off". The concept of having a car for winter and one for summer is almost unheard of for us mortals.
    In the states it's relatively easy, any middle class people can manage since the cost of insurance and registration are low compare to rest of places.

Flashaholic

If I'm using my Nike Sasquach SUMO^2 - about 250 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by Fallingwater View Post
    In the states it's relatively easy; we borrow against our souls, future, and our children's souls and future.

The wonder of debt.

I drive the front half of this.

I had a 1988 Honda CRX HF that regularly got between 53 and 55 strictly freeway, open traffic. Don't see much getting that 20 years later??
    Last edited by BVH; 04-28-2008 at 07:21 PM.
    WWII 60" Anti Aircraft Carbon Arc (Sold), Short Arcs: 1.6KW NightSun, 1KW VSS-3A, .8KW TrakkaBeam, 600 Watt M-134 Gun Light, 500 Watt X-500-14s, 500 Watt Starburst, 300 Watt Locators, Megaray, 150 Watt Set Beam & Communicator, Maxabeam Gen3, LarryK14@52V

Flashaholic*

The Miata is a bit of a snug fit, but not uncomfortable at all, I'm 6'1" and 230 lbs, and I fit just fine. I would have sold it long ago otherwise. Definitely not good in snow, I leave mine parked in the cold and slippery stuff and drive the Subaru.

Not much of a hardship around here to own multiple vehicles, especially if you buy used. Taxes here are only paid once on the car (at time of purchase) and insurance isn't bad either, we pay around $130/month for all of our cars. Three of our four cars are paid for, and the Subaru should be paid off by the end of the year.
    Last edited by NeonLights; 04-28-2008 at 07:29 PM.

$130/month for four cars makes me want to cry. If you've had an accident or two (even light stuff) and especially if you're young you can pay that much for ONE car here, and a small one at that.

Man, you USAnians have it easy for some things.

A lot depends on the limits. I'm just in the process of renewing for one 2005 Hyundai Sonata. My limits are $500,000 each person, $1,000,000 each accident, same for uninsured bodily injury. Cost is $94.00 a month. For more common limits, I could pay around $60 a month.
    WWII 60" Anti Aircraft Carbon Arc (Sold), Short Arcs: 1.6KW NightSun, 1KW VSS-3A, .8KW TrakkaBeam, 600 Watt M-134 Gun Light, 500 Watt X-500-14s, 500 Watt Starburst, 300 Watt Locators, Megaray, 150 Watt Set Beam & Communicator, Maxabeam Gen3, LarryK14@52V

Flashaholic*

For fun when I'm not hauling kids:

Otherwise, it's the grocery wagon (SUV)
    Last edited by CM; 04-28-2008 at 08:49 PM.

I'm still driving the same hand-me-down that I was driving in the last "what are you driving" thread from a couple of years ago, a 2000 Acura TL.

I'm using it in my daily work as a messenger, here in Los Angeles. I'll probably switch to my wife's '97 4-cyl Accord, though, cause this one is killing me on gas. I wish, I had a Prius! Someday....
    Last edited by Trashman; 11-03-2009 at 10:11 PM.

Banned

CPF has truly great taste for rides as well as for flashlights

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891013 ... LastLast