Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: What Do You Drive?

Default Re: What Do You Drive?

Quote Originally Posted by nbp View Post
    What came first though? Do we not have them because we don't like them or do we not like them because we don't have them?
    Which is why none of the very good Euro diesels get introduced to America, since the car companies are afraid they'll make even bigger losses if you don't buy them.

I also think that the gas prices in the us are a very important point why diesels are not as popular. You may think that $4 a gallon is expensive but over here in the Netherlands you currently pay $9.40 per gallon or regular and almost $10 a gallon on premium at current exchange rates. One main reason for us dutchies to get a diesel is that when you make enough miles a year you're cheaper driving on diesel than petrol but in the US it cheap no matter what you drive basically. And i also think that most americans still think all diesels are noisy and dirty so that also plays a big role.

Would be fun tho to drive some bluemotion polo in the us, with its 3.9 liters per 100 km..... that would be like.... erm..... $0.066 per mile @ $4 per gallon? lol

Yes, i think that is it, there´s no market because there´s no need and costs are the main reason.

No one (or by far not enough customers) would buy a lower middle class Diesel car with a thrifty engine at high technical level, like a Focus, Golf or Jetta for example, for 25k$ or even 20k$ as long as they can buy a huge PickUp or other car with 3.8 or 5.0 gas boiler for 16k$, even if these might be on a far lower technical level and therewith on (rather) high consumption level.
    In short view it´s easier to pay the daily gas bit by bit than to put a few thousands extra on the counter when buying a car.

If the big competitors in the US market would think these would sell they would push them into the market, i´m sure, and as long as the gas prices/costs pressures in the US are on such a low level the retail price/consumption calculation will not convince enough customers.

Cheers

RBR
    Last edited by RBR; 05-20-2011 at 08:52 AM.

Enlightened

When I'm not riding my bicycle, I'm in a 2008 Impala with 41K miles. It has the 3.9 with variable valve timing, I'm thankfull for the 30 mpg I get on a longer drive. I'm glad I don't have to drive very far very ofter. Our other vehicle is a 2000 Dodge Dakota pick-up with 50K miles. trgrhppy

The off-topic discussion on diesel will need to be introduced in a dedicated thread on the topic. This thread's topic is "What Do You Drive". Continued off-topic postings will result in a large number of them being removed from sight.

Empath - please don't remove my diesel posting as it it completely on topic to what I drive.

I recently traded in my 2004 Audi S4 (wicked fun car!) which averaged 17mpg on premium for a 2011 Golf TDI diesel which I am getting 38-42 mpg on my commute depending on the day and how traffic is. I commute 38.5 miles each way to work and I estimate approx a $2500/year savings with the TDI.

I've now got just about 4,000 miles on it and it is a good fun torquey commuter. Quiet and not a stinky smell to be found!

My second car, 2010 Ford Focus Style+ 1.4l, used for shorter distances, where the Diesel doesn´t pay, by my girlie.

80PS so no acceleration wonder and top speed approx. 95mph so rather for the centre than for the left track on the Autobahn but good for country roads and for swimming in traffic.

Average consumption approx. 33,6mpg.

Pix show winter tyres, looks way better with summer shoes.

Cheers

RBR

I just finish my new ride

Zebralight Spark Princeton Inova Petzl Maglite Bushnell 4 XM-L MagMod and a lot of Cree XM-L Lights Nitecore i4 Intellicharger Intl-outdoor 3400 Panasonic 3100 Bare and protected Samsung 3000 Sanyo 2600
    Please, respect the planet, dont kill animals...

I'm going to bookmark this thread so I can get back to it. Gotta hit the hay.

I'm an OTR Truck Driver.

Was 2006 Freightliner Century. Noisy, Rattly and not my fave!

Now 2008 International ProStar. Quiet smooth and if it stays reliable it will be a fave!

(needs a bath!)

TRY to get back and put up pics. Not easy to do on the road!
    Last edited by PlayboyJoeShmoe; 05-22-2011 at 10:36 AM.
    http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/2640/usflaghalfmastmdwht.gif

PBJS

This is what i drive when i´m not in a car.

Cheers

RBR

Toyota Hilux D4D twincab truck.
    SF M6-R85 M3 G2D FYL G2ZL E1L McGizmo HA PD-S Ti Mule-PD BB Haiku-XP-G Inova X1
    (My Collection)

Quote Originally Posted by Airbag Club View Post
    This is my toy/project/track/show car..

Glad you mentioned the track part. What you got under the hood of that sweet ride?
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

We're on vacation down in Clearwater, FL. The last couple years, I've bought a bike while we are down here so I don't have to risk bringing one of my own. This year I bought a Jamis Durango. Fork is going out, but I'm only on pavement. Pretty nice bike and has treated me well. I have about 10 hours in on it so far and hope to put another 6 - 8 hours before we leave.

"That's what makes SF so badass... we've got the best flashlights."

What do you think does a man drive, who was born in Bavaria, who went to school in Bavaria, who still lives in Bavaria and who even lives near a factory, which is called "Bayerische Motoren Werke"?
    Right you are, a BMW.
    But don't be jealous of me, the car is 15 years old

"Bitte Mit Werkzeug" as some jealous guys from outside of Bavaria also say.

Don´t get me wrong, fine cars.

Cheers

RBR

Subaru Impreza Outback.

I'll not bother with pictures. The company car is a 2008 Honda Civic SI sedan, my personal car is a 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with all the add ons (lift, tire racks, winches, etc) for exploring.

VW Passat, lightly modded. 19.7mpg last checked. Looks nice in this pic from 2008, but it's a piece of junk that constantly needs fixing.

Mazda RX-8, stock except for tires. 17.8mpg last checked. Now has a 18" key scratch on the passenger door. Other than that it runs beautifully.

I have got to get a more fuel-efficient car for beater duty.
    Last edited by fyrstormer; 06-21-2011 at 11:49 AM.

I have a 1998 Jeep Cherokee XJ with plenty of skid plates and other modifications, but it still has the stock suspension. My wife's car is a 2004 Mazda 3.

The Southland with a RedBull in one hand and iPhone in the other

Quote Originally Posted by blah9 View Post
    I have a 1998 Jeep Cherokee XJ with plenty of skid plates and other modifications, but it still has the stock suspension. My wife's car is a 2004 Mazda 3.
    Pics of the cherok or it did happen.

('91 XJ with trimmed fenders, no sway bars, 3-inches of lift and mud-terrains that are to big to fit good.)
    And Teeming With Souls Shall It Ever Be.
    NOTICE: I'm a guy. Im to poor to buy cheap.
    Aeon- Smaller, Brighter, Better...

Flashaholic*
    below polar circle.. in country which used to make nokia phones.

couple months ago changed my 4wd mitsubishi pajero/montero/shogun to mercedes w124 300d stationwagon. will see if i have to buy an 4wd car for winter time again. (got used to crashing over snowbanks etc and using the 4wd to get out of the way hahah) oh well.. the merc uses about gallon less diesel per 60miles and is automatic.. (got tired of using the clutch)
    *MaKiNG SeNSe iS NOT My PRioRiTy* *One is None, Two is One, But Butter is Better*
    *Flashaholism: DeeP DaRK HoLe im falling into, glad that I have my flashlights to light the way.*

Quote Originally Posted by mossyoak View Post
    Pics of the cherok or it did happen.
    Below is the XJ doing just a little bit of offroading.

Here is a shot of it after it was stolen and rammed into five other vehicles as authorities tried to get the driver to pull over in traffic. The driver was shot in the shoulder through the driver-side window, and a police car was totaled by the Jeep. I was surprised it didn't fare worse.

Afterward I got it fixed up and shiny.

It's hard to see in the pictures, but I have front, lower control arm, transmission, transfer case, gas tank, and front differential skid plates. Combined frame stiffeners and rocker panel sliders are on their way right now, and I also have a hitch and front tow hooks for recovery. When the suspension sags really badly I'm planning on installing a modest lift, cut out the fenders, and put ~33" tires on it.

I took apart the radio and found a chip that takes the left and right output of the cassette player and feeds it to the radio output, so I soldered a headphone jack onto those locations. Now I can play my iPod as long as a tape is pushed in, but the sound stops when it switches sides! I also added in a killswitch ever since it was stolen, and there is a coat hanger holding the defrost door open inside the dashboard so that the windshield always gets hit with the air going through the system. For a while the door (I think it's called a blend door if I remember correctly) was stuck closed and it was really tough to get the windshield to defrost. It was a lot easier to mount the coat hanger rather than tear the dash apart to fix the door.
    Last edited by blah9; 06-30-2011 at 11:09 AM.

I am driving Honda Accauard 2005.

2005 Mazda 3 S Hatchback

I was recently given my first car that I own. It's all mine. My girlfriends my got a new Honda HRV and was getting rid of her 1999 Honda Civic 4 door. It's that horrible cherry Honda red with beige suede interior. I'm 23 so it's not a "cool" car but it's MINE. My crap in it and I drive it that creates a whole different love.

Short version

Honda civic 1999 1.4L

My gas Saver

Tuned Saab 9-3 turbo running on bioethanol It is nice to have 250 bhp, loads of torque and still be environmentally friendly

Tilburg, the Netherlands (perfectly reachable by USPS international services)

Well, after my Opel Zafira died (timingbelt snapped, interference engine, do the math) I went through a series of loaners while the garage (it was their fault, they screwed up the maintenance schedule) looked for a suitable replacement. So now I drive a 2007 Toyota Corolla Verso with a 2.2L D4-D diesel engine, 134BHP, 310NM torque, not bad for a mid sized (by european standards) family car.... It looks boring as hell (its even grey) but oh does it put that torque to good use
    ... Never underestimate the power of human stupidity ...

toyota taco. i'd rather have my honda accord back. i'll stick the CB on the honda if i have to
    Last edited by beach honda; 08-24-2011 at 02:09 PM.
    -Chr1s-
    Got Lights? USE EM!!

Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5891011121314151617181920 LastLast