Surefire E2DL LED Defender ARRIVED...*** ONE LEVEL!!! ***

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
Am I the first person in America to have these? Besides the special people, that is? :)

Edit: I just tried out 4 of these new lights, and they're all 1 level lights! apparently SF forgot to reprogram them to two levels! I just spoke to SF and they said just send them back to them...but I'm telling ya...some people have been wanting a 1-level E2DL head!

e2dl.jpg

Last edited:

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Surefire E2DL LED Defender ARRIVED

Hey pal where did you get that?

Surefire Fairy... :) I've got a few for sale in the MP if you want one sent out to you today...you'll get them Monday morning for sure! :)

That strike bezel looks awesome! I just tried it on an E1B body and one RCR123...and it works, but it seems the low level is gone.

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast

Put it on a one cell body and run it on an rcr123! Do it! :party:

I did and it works...but here's the weird thing...I tried the head on a 2 cell and it doesn't have a low mode either! wth??? I'm gonna open another one and try it.

Edit: Nope...second one is the same!!! ONLY ONE MODE!!!!!!!!!! what the???

Edit2: I just tried a third one...holy crap....they seem to all be 1 mode!!!

Last edited:

matt0

Enlightened

I did and it works...but here's the weird thing...I tried the head on a 2 cell and it doesn't have a low mode either! wth??? I'm gonna open another one and try it.

Edit: Nope...second one is the same!!! ONLY ONE MODE!!!!!!!!!! what the???

Edit2: I just tried a third one...holy crap....they seem to all be 1 mode!!!

Wait, is that with 2 primaries or 2 rcr123 3.6v?

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wait, is that with 2 primaries or 2 rcr123 3.6v?

2 Primaries...just whatever batteries are inside the E2DL...I only have one RCR123...haha. I need to buy more.

Mercaptan

Enlightened
This thread is longing for some beamshots compared to the E1B...

One level is nice, I wonder how this little slip-up occurred.

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
This thread is longing for some beamshots compared to the E1B...

One level is nice, I wonder how this little slip-up occurred.

Unfortunately, I don't have any stock E1B heads... :)

My theory is this...a while back, SF wanted to make the Defender to be one level only...so the early batches were programmed for just one level. But some time recently, they decided to switch to 2 levels since the KX2's were selling so well. So packaging and websites were made with the "Dual Output" in mind...but a batch of the early 1 level lights never got reprogrammed...and got mixed in with the newer 2 level ones.

That's my theory, anyway...

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh man. I have one on the way and I hope its not one of these one level versions. I want the 2 levels! Argh....got my fingers crossed....

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just checked more lights....5 out of 8 are single stage. (I haven't opened the other 3 yet so I don't know) Good news for those that want single stage E2DL! :)

Size15's

Flashaholic
Unfortunately, I don't have any stock E1B heads... :)

My theory is this...a while back, SF wanted to make the Defender to be one level only...so the early batches were programmed for just one level. But some time recently, they decided to switch to 2 levels since the KX2's were selling so well. So packaging and websites were made with the "Dual Output" in mind...but a batch of the early 1 level lights never got reprogrammed...and got mixed in with the newer 2 level ones.

That's my theory, anyway...
Seems reasonable.
The E2DL proto-type at SS2008 was single-level. It just goes to show what can happen between SHOT Show and release.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow! You may have a big time collectible on your hands if there aren't to many more single stage E2D's. You could sell them for a premium to people who want a single stage. Put 'em on eBay and let the bidding begin. :p

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow! You may have a big time collectible on your hands if there aren't to many more single stage E2D's. You could sell them for a premium to people who want a single stage. Put 'em on eBay and let the bidding begin. :p

Nah, I sold them at just a tad below retail price because I don't want to gouge our fellow CPFers...hehe. Of course, I'm keeping one for myself. :)

bezel

Newly Enlightened

Hi all, I'm new but have been lurking for a while. I'm not entirely unenlightened (as may be indicated). Great forum!

I was curious if ttran97 or anyone else lucky enought to have this light could say whether this light runs at full regulated brightness on an rcr123? If so, have you checked runtime in full regulation with the rcr123? I'll probably mostly run primaries but like to know if I can switch over if I'm anticipating extended useage. Thanks

Best regards,

Bezel

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi all, I'm new but have been lurking for a while. I'm not entirely unenlightened (as may be indicated). Great forum!

I was curious if ttran97 or anyone else lucky enought to have this light could say whether this light runs at full regulated brightness on an rcr123? If so, have you checked runtime in full regulation with the rcr123? I'll probably mostly run primaries but like to know if I can switch over if I'm anticipating extended useage. Thanks

Best regards,

Bezel

Hi Bezel...Welcome to CPF. :)

I don't have a light meter or any way of measuring brightness other than with my eyeball. Sadly, I only have one RCR123, so I don't even know if two will work in the E2DL body...I can only try it with the 1-cell E1B body. If it is in regulation, then it would probably run for about an hour or so...but I don't know how bright it is relative to the E2DL on two primaries.

And this is what it would look like...The E1DLB...haha

e1dlb.jpg

Last edited:

bezel

Newly Enlightened

Hi Bezel...Welcome to CPF. :)

I don't have a light meter or any way of measuring brightness other than with my eyeball. Sadly, I only have one RCR123, so I don't even know if two will work in the E2DL body...I can only try it with the 1-cell E1B body. If it is in regulation, then it would probably run for about an hour or so...but I don't know how bright it is relative to the E2DL on two primaries.

Thanks ttran97. Did brightness look about the same (shooting from the hip) as with two primaries. If I ran a rechargeable with the stock body, I'd use a 17670.

Bezel