MJ LED in an E1e bulb??

Phil_B

Enlightened
I have a spare E1e and a blown bulb (the very bulb that made me fall in love with led lights years ago!!!). Hence my project here. Will an MJ LED direct drive? Will I need to put a resistor in to lower the voltage?
I'll either turn up a new housing or use a blown bulb. Anyone been here before?
Can you suggest a value for a resistor if required?
Thanks, Phil.

warlord

Enlightened
Why use a SMJ LED? They use 80mA to put out maybe 12 to 14 lumen and a Nichia DS/GS can do about the same with just 25mA.

Also you probably want to go with RCR123's if you're going to swap in an LED.

BTW, cool link!

Phil_B

Enlightened
Any idea where I can get a couple of the GS from? Are these the brighter of the two (GS/DS)?
I've searched around a bit, but find the more I read, the less is obvious (re tints/outputs/max-min Vin etc).
I found this interesting;
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/180563&page=2
Especially the small device between the legs of the GS on ARC Manias post.
Any help gladly received.

Last edited:

warlord

Enlightened
MJ sells those micro converters mounted on PCBs with a variety of outputs availible here. If you have any questions about them you should PM chimo since he has purchased them...he also has a thread review of them in the electronics forum.

Also I have purchased the bare GS's sold by Brlux and the DX faux-tons but I can't do a comparison until the faux-tons arrive. All I can say is that they are supposed to be the same emitter/type sold by Brlux and shown in the thread you linked (by MJ).

If they are the correct LEDs (and they probably are) then they are cheaper bought with the faux-tons then just bought bare. DX is crazy cheap.

edit, added:

Also of the 2 leds DS/GS the specs are exactly the same. The only difference is that the GS is a 2 die led which is why it has an oval hotspot. Also, I don't know of anywhere that you can get the DS leds bare or as cheaply as the GS's.:shrug:

The spec sheets are availible here:

NSPW500GS-K1
NSPW500DS

Last edited: