Polarion PH-50 Main Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Upon Cue003's suggestion, I agreed that it would be nice to have a place for the PH-50 Group Buy members, and anyone else who wants, to post their reviews, pictures, beamshots, info, comparisons, etc.

Additionally, anything Polarion is welcome here! Pictures are worth a 1000 words so be liberal with them if possible.

I'm currently sitting here tapping my fingers while waiting for the FedEx truck to arrive. In the meantime I'll post a couple of PH-40 pics......

PolarianLights002.jpg

PH50 Gif image compilation moved from post #275

PH40 vs. PH50 504 yards to the tower
PH40vsPH50504yards.gif

PH40 vs. PH50 504 yards (zoomed)
PH40vsPH50504yardszoomed.gif

PH40 vs. PH50 178 yards to tree
PH40vsPH50.gif

331 yards to the steeple, over 600 yards to mountian on either side of steeple.
ChurchJif40vs50.gif

331 yards to the steeple (wide)
Widegif40vs50.gif

PH50 vs. Xe50 137 yards (courtesy of Cowley)
137yardsXe50PH50.gif

PH50 vs. Xe50 350 yards (courtesy of Cowley)
Brittsimages350yardsgifed.gif

368 yards wide
PH40PH50368yardswide.gif

368 yards telephoto, 668 yards to mountain behind steeple
PH40PH50368yardszoomed.gif

414 yards to tree
PH40PH50414yardsathugetree.gif

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic
The PH-50 is here!!

Ok, I'll just start with some pictures:

My favorite vehicle to have in front of my house:
PolarianLights003.jpg

What's this....a present from Ken and David?
PolarianLights004.jpg

Don't cut your finger off during the excitement Patriot!
PolarianLights005.jpg

Nice case and in perfect condtion
PolarianLights006.jpg

Immediately upon opening with Polarion manual and sling on top
PolarianLights007.jpg

Uncovered
PolarianLights008.jpg

Contents with manual
PolarianLights009.jpg

Hmm, small scratch.
PolarianLights010.jpg

PH-50 in foreground with it's PH-40 brother behind
PolarianLights012.jpg

PH-50 on left with PH-40 right
PolarianLights013.jpg

Yes, I've turned it on. Impressive and noticeably brighter than the PH-40. I betting on the fact that the difference will be even more striking when I get them outside tonight.

More to come........promiss!

Last edited:

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quick & Dirty Polarion PH50 Shots

Quick & Dirty Polarion PH50 Shots

Introducing the Polarion Helios PH50
ext-day-ph50.png

Against exterior wall (12 PM noon daylight) @ 12'
ext-day-wall.png

Hotspot from 20' looking down (4:30 PM afternoon daylight)
ext-day-ground.png

Indoor beam profile from 15' (4:30 PM afternoon daylight)
in-day-wall.png

Test shot @ 120 yards, 1/4 second white balanced to Tungsten
ext-night-tungsten.png

Test shot @ 120 yards, 1/4 second white balanced to Day Light...
ext-night-daylight.png

Brightness Levels Increased 25%

Test shot @ 120 yards, 1/4 second white balanced to Tungsten + 25%
ext-night-tungsten-25.png

Test shot @ 120 yards, 1/4 second white balanced to Day Light + 25%
ext-night-daylight-25.png

Preparing for a beamshot session against SureFire HOLAs

Gate to be opened during the session
ext-setup-1.jpg

Distances verified via surveyed and recorded benchmark takeoffs
ext-setup-2.jpg

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic
Nice Adam...very nice beamshots too! I hope to get some tonight.

Here are a few differences between the batteries and tailcaps.

PH50 battery (back)
PolarianLights016.jpg

PH40 battery (back)
PolarianLights017.jpg

PH50 battery (front)
PolarianLights014.jpg

PH40 battery (front)
PolarianLights015.jpg

PH50 left PH40 right, Tailcaps (outside)
PolarianLights018.jpg

PH50 left PH40 right, Tailcaps (inside)
PolarianLights019.jpg

PH50 tailcap inside, backlit looking through smoked LED window
PolarianLights021.jpg

PH40 tailcap inside, backlit looking through smoked LED window
PolarianLights020.jpg

Last edited:

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
The PH50 PS-B8-P battery is rated at 14.4V, 4400 mAh (4S2P 18650). The accompanying FranMar AC/DC charger is rated at 19VDC @ 1.57A and charges the PS-B8-P at 0.35C (1.57A / 4.4A = 0.35). We can likely double the charging current to 3.14A and charge at 0.71C through a hobby charger and charging jack to effectively reduce charge times in half (battery protection circuit allowing) :) .

Additional Observations...

1. Incorporating the grooved body of the PF50 into the PH50 would provide for superior grip and handling of the light.
2. The rotary switch can be easily rotated on and off by the thumb if handled with an overhand grip on either the body, or the handle.
3. Recommended to place the charger on an inert, heat dissapating surface such as a concrete curb, or granite countertop while charging*.
4. The HA of the PH50 is not quite as matte as the HA finish found on the aluminum components of the Benelli M4.
5. The tailcap could do without the inscriptions, which serve little purpose other than advertising.

* Recorded 110ºF while charging on 3.5-inch concrete slab in 78ºF outside temperatures.

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic
The PH50 PS-B8-P battery is rated at 14.4V, 4400 mAh (4S2P 18650). The accompanying FranMar AC/DC charger is rated at 19VDC @ 1.57A and charges the PS-B8-P at 0.35C (1.57A / 4.4A = 0.35). We can likely double the charging current to 3.14A and charge at 0.71C through a hobby charger and charging jack to effectively reduce charge times in half (battery protection circuit allowing) :) .

So you could get the charge time down close to two hours then right?

I wonder why polarion uses that charger. I guess it just a little easier yet on the batteries.

Last edited:

kenster

Flashlight Enthusiast

Additional Observations...

3. Recommended to place the charger on an inert, heat dissapating surface such as a concrete curb, or granite countertop while charging.

:eek:oo: Thanks for the posts with all the wonderful pictures! :twothumbs BUT YOU GUYS OWE ME A NEW KEYBOARD. :drool: :laughing: Yup, I`m JEALOUS!!!! :p

I didn`t even pay attention to how long the battery takes to charge. :duh2: Since it appears it takes over 4 hours it would really nice if that time could be cut in half. Isn`t the protection circuit built into the battery pack? Would it blow or just cutout and reset? Hmmm :thinking: ..... Please try it on your battery pack and let me know. :grin2: Oh, and how hot does the charger get?

Patriot36,

I have 10 x 42 Swarovski and I walked out the store with an empty wallet :ohgeez: but they are FANTASTIC! :thumbsup:

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, Patriot36 thanks for the shout out. LOL.

Excellent work so far. Absolutely awesome. I think the difference in the tailcaps is probably due to the PH40 was supposed to have a charging cradle that you could rest the entire light into and charge from that perspective so you can always top off like in a vehicle or whatever. I don't believe it ever came to fruition. Looks like they did away with that option in the PH50....

Excellent shots on everything. Questions....

1) Does the PH50 say PH50 on it?
2) It the time to total brightness the same or slower than the PH40?
3) is "Instant On" brighter immediately on the PH50 vs. PH40?
4) is there any additional weight to the PH50 over the PH40?
5) Have you tried the PH40 battery and tailcap or even PH40 battery and PH50 tailcap combo?
6) Is the balance in the hand the same for both lights?

Also Patriot, when you do the comparo shots of 40 to 50, could you put them in one of those animated GIFs or whatever so we can easily see the difference without the up/down scolling of our screen.

I know... I know... I am a demanding SOB... LOL.

Thanks guys.

I am really jealous so far but no worries. I know mine is coming.....

Curtis

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic
Wow, Patriot36 thanks for the shout out. LOL.

Excellent work so far. Absolutely awesome. I think the difference in the tailcaps is probably due to the PH40 was supposed to have a charging cradle that you could rest the entire light into and charge from that perspective so you can always top off like in a vehicle or whatever. I don't believe it ever came to fruition. Looks like they did away with that option in the PH50....

Excellent shots on everything. Questions....

1) Does the PH50 say PH50 on it?
2) It the time to total brightness the same or slower than the PH40?
3) is "Instant On" brighter immediately on the PH50 vs. PH40?
4) is there any additional weight to the PH50 over the PH40?
5) Have you tried the PH40 battery and tailcap or even PH40 battery and PH50 tailcap combo?
6) Is the balance in the hand the same for both lights?

Also Patriot, when you do the comparo shots of 40 to 50, could you put them in one of those animated GIFs or whatever so we can easily see the difference without the up/down scolling of our screen.

I know... I know... I am a demanding SOB... LOL.

Thanks guys.

I am really jealous so far but no worries. I know mine is coming.....

Curtis

You're welcome and once again, it was a great idea.

1) Adam took care of this, but here ya go, since I already had them:

left side
PolarianLights022.jpg

right side
PolarianLights023.jpg

2) The time is right about the same. 6-8 seconds to full brightness, and another 6-8 for the full color to come in. Total of about 14-16. Note that it's probably outputting 3000-4000 lumens within 3-4 seconds though.

3) If it is brighter quicker, it's not by much. They're both spitting serious gobs of light within seconds.

4)
I just weighed them for you but believe it or not I could feel that the PH50 was slightly heavier.

PH50
PolarianLights024.jpg

PH40
PolarianLights025.jpg

5) Yes, they're interchangeable and each light works with the other's battery and tailcap. :)

6) Yes, the balance point is the same for each light. The difference in weight is so small that any difference in balance is non-detectable.

I'm not sure if I'll be getting beamshots tonight. If I do they're be very basic. Once I get some good pics, I'll be happy to gif those pictures for you Curtis. :)

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Wonderful posts, photos, and details. Patriot....love seeing the blow by blow starting with the FedEx truck. I could almost see you jumping up and down with excitement !!!

One thing is obvious from everything I have ever seen with the Polarion lineup--they exude quality craftsmanship ! :twothumbs

BVH

Flashaholic
I'll be anxious to see this thread mature! Polarions certainly exude quality & craftsmanship as Lux says.

Got my EZnite today and it, too exudes a very high level of Q & C similar to that of the Helios I owned.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Thanks for the compliments Lux.... Yeah, I was pretty excited for it to arrive. In reality I opened the door as the Fedex gal was walking up. She said, "somebody is eager"....lol. I only set it back down for the photo op. And yes, I did think about taking a picture as the package was walking to my door but when I saw it was a female I didn't want to be rude or make her feel uneasy.

BVH, Congrats on receiving your EZnite! I know you've been excited about that. I'd love to hear your full report.

Vee73 I'll have some basic beamshots for you to see in about 45 minutes.

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
Congratulations on getting your PH50 Patriot36!:D
Hope you enjoy it!:thumbsup:

Patriot

Flashaholic
This is just a very basic, grab a few lights and head to the park run, so bare with me as the beamshots are under exposed and somewhat grainy. If nothing else it's a good relative comparison because they're all taken at F5.6 2" and ISO400. The focal range is approximately 65-75mm of a 35mm film equivalent, so...slightly zoomed.

The aim of the lights isn't perfect either, but close. Even though it doesn't appear this way with some of the weaker lights, they were all aimed approximately at the trunk of the tree. There was a lot of ambient light in the park too which is why I went with a 2 second shutter instead of 4 seconds which would have been closer to what the eye sees. I just picked a few lights that were in cases already and easy to grab-n-go. All batteries are new or fully charged.

The Lights:

M6 MN21
FM-11 smooth 2C
Mag-85 MOP 3C (driven very hard, insta-flashes easily if not careful)
PH-40
PH-50

Tools:

Two tripods
Leica LRF 1200 laser range finder
Zebralight H30
Canon S2 IS

PolarianLights032.jpg

Beamshots, Range to the base of the tree is 178 yards.

M6 MN21
PolarianLights026.jpg

FM-11 Smooth 2C
PolarianLights027.jpg

Mag-85 MOP 3C (driven hard) The stepped shadow down the hill caused by the protruding bezel on this light....see first picture.
PolarianLights028.jpg

PH-40
PolarianLights029.jpg

PH-50
PolarianLights030.jpg

After seeing the PH50 compared to the PH40, I have little doubt that it's producing 2000+ lumens more. I dont believe the output rating of the PH50 is overstated at all.

I'll post some longer range shots tomorrow. Hope that you've enjoyed these. :naughty:

Paul

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic
:eek:oo: Thanks for the posts with all the wonderful pictures! :twothumbs BUT YOU GUYS OWE ME A NEW KEYBOARD. :drool: :laughing: Yup, I`m JEALOUS!!!! :p

I didn`t even pay attention to how long the battery takes to charge. :duh2: Since it appears it takes over 4 hours it would really nice if that time could be cut in half. Isn`t the protection circuit built into the battery pack? Would it blow or just cutout and reset? Hmmm :thinking: ..... Please try it on your battery pack and let me know. :grin2: Oh, and how hot does the charger get?

Patriot36,

I have 10 x 42 Swarovski and I walked out the store with an empty wallet :ohgeez: but they are FANTASTIC! :thumbsup:

You're welcome Ken. It was fun to post everything. My charger is getting to 98 degrees after 10 minutes or so.

Glad to hear that you're a Swarovski guy Ken. :cool: Did you get the EL's or the SLC's? As you stated, they're outstanding. They have a great mix of all the best attributes of premium optics. I enjoy the Zeiss and Leica too, but usually grab the "Ski's" the most often. I also have 15x56SLC's and 7x42SLC's. Lights, bins, shooting, and mountain biking.....I can't get enough :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts