SPY 007 Mini Picatinny Rail Accessories

Edwood

Enlightened
Thought I'd start a new thread to reduce the clutter in the other threads.

I know Dave has had his hands full with packaging the goodness to ship off to everyone. I'm curious as to what the initial Mini Picatinny Rail accessories will be.

Some were mentioned before,if there are others, please list them.

- Tripod screw mount
- Bike handle bar mount
- Pocket clip / hat visor clip?

Another interesting thing I saw was a rotating Picatinny Rail belt clip for weapon lights. Something like this, but of course, the other way around, since the rail is on the light with the 007. Perhaps another carry option for those that don't mind having their precious exposed.
http://www.lapolicegear.com/caaropirabec.html

-Ed

Last edited:

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is a cool belt clip.

The more ideas we have the more I can incorporate into the GP rail block. I will post all the stuff I have here soon.

Cheers
Dave

paulr

Flashaholic
If we really want to get fancy/dorky, how about a spare light that clamps underneath the main light. It could be 1x123 powered with a flood beam, to complement the more directional main beam, or maybe it could be 1aaa powered for small size.

Maybe a future generation of the Spy could have electrical contacts in the rail, to allow drawing power from inside the light, and maybe also putting power into the light to charge internal r123's. Then the add-on lights could have different colored leds, infrared illuminator, laser, etc. all powered by the Spy. There could even be a clamp-on USB port to recharge your cell phone in a pinch.

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, good ideas guys.

bmstrong, Yes, very possibly.

PSM, that is likely. I have planed on a wall mount in an aluminum box with a glass cover. And a lockable desk mount with an engraved placard.

griff, it is coming.

paulr, I had Wayne add traces to the current run of the STFu board just for that purpose. The traces bring the bat voltage down to the bottom edge of the board right above the rail. I may never implement such a feature because of its cost but you never know. And as you say it could power an accessory like a flood light or make a charging port.

And along those same lines I thought a simple pill container rail accessory with a screw on cap could house emergency pills or a tiny light or a tiny micro key chain sized laser etc. One of the tiny modamag or orb wee lights would fit well if it had a rail attachment. Yes I know it is wacky but it is possible. :shrug:

Cheers
Dave

Last edited:

Edwood

Enlightened
How about a long goose neck clamp on light attachment, so the 007 can be used as a task light / shop light? Maybe with loc line neck at the least.

-Ed

paulr

Flashaholic
Oh don't be shy about the electrical contacts Dave, people who buy these lights don't care what they cost :D.

How about something like a titanium locking carabiner with a rail fitting machined into it, maybe like this except a little smaller. That would allow clipping the light to a backpack or climbing harness or something like that, in a way that was easily removable yet super secure and way cool.

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about a long goose neck clamp on light attachment, so the 007 can be used as a task light / shop light? Maybe with loc line neck at the least.

-Ed

With the GP block attachment you will be able to make these kinds of devices quite easily.

Cheers
Dave

Edwood

Enlightened
Since the SPY form factor was inspired by a certain Picatinny Rail mounted weapon light, could there be a tiny gun that can attach to the mini Picatinny Rail? :D

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh don't be shy about the electrical contacts Dave, people who buy these lights don't care what they cost :D.

How about something like a titanium locking carabiner with a rail fitting machined into it, maybe like this except a little smaller. That would allow clipping the light to a backpack or climbing harness or something like that, in a way that was easily removable yet super secure and way cool.

I know everybody cares what the light costs and a feature like that would only come on a "special release" of the light. It would have to carry it's own weight.

I like this idea, I would like to see a way to have it hold keys in such a way that the keys could not touch the body of the light.

Edwood

Enlightened
Only a very small fraction of SPY 007 owners would ever dream of putting it on a keychain, or dangling it from a bag. Besides, the 007 is quite a bit on the heavier side to be a nearly $1K keychain fob.:crackup:

I think if you look at the numbers of people ordering Matt's Art of the Hide Holesters, that will tell you how many people will be EDC'ing the 007, and pretty much the rest will be safe queens. ;)

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
Only a very small fraction of SPY 007 owners would ever dream of putting it on a keychain, or dangling it from a bag. Besides, the 007 is quite a bit on the heavier side to be a nearly $1K keychain fob.:crackup:

I think if you look at the numbers of people ordering Matt's Art of the Hide Holesters, that will tell you how many people will be EDC'ing the 007, and pretty much the rest will be safe queens. ;)

chanting "no queens, no queens, no queens" :tsk:

paulr

Flashaholic
I carry my 005 by just dropping it in my pocket. I haven't felt the need for a belt pouch, though if I were to want one, the holesters look fantastic.

If the 007 were available with external power contacts I think almost everyone would want them, certainly any R123 users, to be able to charge up the light by just clipping it to a charger. I'd like to hope that a few contacts wouldn't affect the cost much. The charger itself would need some electronics and might be a bit expensive as such things go, but not everyone would buy it. It would just be a little rectangular box with a USB port for power input and a rail mount (on each side of course), and could be made of ti and look very classy.

Another application of the power port could be to run the light from an external battery. For example, there could be a version of the bike handlebar mount that had a holder for a Sony L-series camcorder pack. Those are 7.4 volt packs up to 6600 mAH (yet lightweight and economical as such things go), so they could run the light for a very long time even at the high levels.

I wouldn't dangle the carabiner from a bag for day to day carrying. It would be just for hiking or climbing.

Last edited:

Edwood

Enlightened
I wouldn't want external contacts because it would reduce the water-resistance of the SPY.

I would prefer magnetic induction for charging, personally, but that would really raise costs. :D

I'd rather pop the batteries out and swap them rather than wait for it to charge on a charging base. And because of how awesome the battery door mechanism is, it's fun to change the batteries each time.

Not to mention the addition of a charging circuit and contacts will only make the next SPY larger rather than smaller.

-Ed

MSaxatilus

Flashlight Enthusiast
+2 on the idea of some sort of a task light mount, whether it be something like a flexible arm type or a tripod. Either would be nice.

MSax

Thujone

Flashlight Enthusiast
+2 on the idea of some sort of a task light mount, whether it be something like a flexible arm type or a tripod. Either would be nice.

MSax

I am just hoping that the mounting block is inexpensive (or perhaps there are two versions, one ti and one al) so that you can buy a few and make things like this quite easily.