Innovative and high-quality Rofis flashlight
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: SPY 007 Mini Picatinny Rail Accessories

Default Re: SPY 007 Mini Picatinny Rail Accessories

I like the design Dave. It includes alot of options in one unit. I suspect that to utilize the bottle opener, it will have to be machined from titanium, for strength. Is this true?
    The beatings will continue until morale improves!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Data View Post
    the pocket clip / bottle opener / Pen Holder

Here are a couple videos of the CAD model ==> video1 video2

Cheers
    Dave

I'LL TAKE IT

Looks great, I'd love to see a finished product

Quote Originally Posted by Kid9P View Post
    I'LL TAKE IT

Looks great, I'd love to see a finished product
    This is a starting point. I need ideas from anybody and everybody. Mike will make it for me if we come up with something desirable. Dizzy, aluminum will do if you do not mind it getting scuffed. Of course it could be made from Ti but we need to start with aluminum to get our feet wet.

Dave

Nice vids Dave...Love the bottle opener too!

This is a starting point. I need ideas from anybody and everybody. Mike will make it for me if we come up with something desirable. Dizzy, aluminum will do if you do not mind it getting scuffed. Of course it could be made from Ti but we need to start with aluminum to get our feet wet.

Dave
    Pizza cutter attachment!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TranquillityBase View Post
    Pizza cutter attachment!!!!!!!

That looks great. Everything that I would need in one. I think the pocket clip is cool and I hope it comes on/off easy, case you don't want it on.
    Once things leave my hands I am not responsible for what happens.

Dave

Dave,

When I look at the clip you have pictured, I can't help but to think
    that the Spy will sit somewhat crooked on the belt due to the weight
    being on all one side.

Original Pic

So I added a clip that is more centered and probably sturdier.
    Here's a pic and I hope you don't mind my edit of your original pic
    I'm sure almost everyone recognizes that clip...LOL

Ray's Edit
    Last edited by Kid9P; 10-05-2008 at 07:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid9P View Post
    Dave,

When I look at the clip you have pictured, I can't help but to think
    that the Spy will sit somewhat crooked on the belt due to the weight
    being on all one side.

Original Pic

So I added a clip that is more centered and probably sturdier.
    Here's a pic and I hope you don't mind my edit of your original pic
    I'm sure almost everyone recognizes that clip...LOL

Ray's Edit

I don't mind at all, it is the kind of input I am asking for. Yes I think the clip I drew will have the light setting crooked. BTW, I intend for the two wires to be joined as they curl up. I just did not take the time to draw it. Also, I am aware that the clip needs to be tight to be useful. Your design is great looking, I am sure Don will agree. My idea was for an in the pocket clip to keep the light off the bottom of the pocket, different than your design to hang the light on a belt.

Cheers
    Dave

Well I don't drink much beer, gimme Crown, but I am first to offer to open one for you. So with the wear & tear a cap would put on one jaw I suggest that the clamping jaw be Ti and besides poping tops it would take abuse from the clamping threads better also and negate the need for a threaded insert if that was intended??. And under undo stress, hmm a 400lb man hanging from it then the alu could still afford break away.

And I'm kinda wondering why the thru hole isn't lower or the base higher so as to contact the body on both sides " X ".
    Seems in it's present design it wouldn't have as much stability when rocked front to back. Does that make any sense?..
    Maybe I just need enlightening. or sleep.

ya, well it's late but you get the idea.

Ok I'll go to bed now before I start trying to draw one jaw as a Ti insert just .30" maybe elongated dovetail type attachment.
    Dang it, I just don't wanna scratch it up on others beer caps..

It's looking great Dave, I can hardly wait.
    Thanks and gnight john.
    X/BillyD..
    So much to learn, so little time.. ')
    DFW Texas Spring Fling CPF and LPF Flashapalooza, TBA? ')

Quote Originally Posted by X_Marine View Post
    I don't believe anyone has mentioned a clean attachment with magnetic properties like steel for circumstances where a magnetic attachment would be helpful.

We could furnish our own magnets depending on the application. I know I still have some little guys from slot racing days that are no more than 3/8" diam by aprox 3/32'' thick that will pinch the chit out of ya if your not careful.

I suppose it would need to be chrome or some type of plating since it would be subject to rust otherwise.

Thanks for listening Dave.
    X/BillyD..
    That is what I want, a strong rare earth magnet in a nice Ti block that fits on the mini rail.

Flashaholic*

6061 seems to be the favorite aluminum alloy in the flashlight world. But why not the much stronger and much harder 7075-T6? It machines beautifully and its disadvantage in weldability is irrelevant. In addition to the Mini Picatinny, I'd love to see the 007 design implemented in 7075-T6 for a huge weight (and cost) reduction of the best and most versatile flashlight ever conceived.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudi View Post
    6061 seems to be the favorite aluminum alloy in the flashlight world. But why not the much stronger and much harder 7075-T6? It machines beautifully and its disadvantage in weldability is irrelevant. In addition to the Mini Picatinny, I'd love to see the 007 design implemented in 7075-T6 for a huge weight (and cost) reduction of the best and most versatile flashlight ever conceived.
    A SPY 007 in 7075-T6 would be an outstanding offering. Unfortunately so far, offering the 007 in aluminium has never been more than wapor. As long as there is demand for titanium, I suspect it will continue to make Dave busy.

Quote Originally Posted by X_Marine View Post
    Well I don't drink much beer, gimme Crown, but I am first to offer to open one for you. So with the wear & tear a cap would put on one jaw I suggest that the clamping jaw be Ti and besides poping tops it would take abuse from the clamping threads better also and negate the need for a threaded insert if that was intended??. And under undo stress, hmm a 400lb man hanging from it then the alu could still afford break away.

And I'm kinda wondering why the thru hole isn't lower or the base higher so as to contact the body on both sides " X ".
    Seems in it's present design it wouldn't have as much stability when rocked front to back. Does that make any sense?..
    Maybe I just need enlightening. or sleep.

ya, well it's late but you get the idea.

Ok I'll go to bed now before I start trying to draw one jaw as a Ti insert just .30" maybe elongated dovetail type attachment.
    Dang it, I just don't wanna scratch it up on others beer caps..

It's looking great Dave, I can hardly wait.
    Thanks and gnight john.
    X/BillyD..

BillyD, the plains marked below in red and yellow are the only parts of the rail adapter that make contact with the light. I think you are right in thinking that your "X" plain would keep the mount stable on the light. The red plain performs the same function. The angle of the yellow plain creates a wedge that pulls the rail in tightly against the red plain.

The GP adapters are mostly completed. This was only for fun!

more pictures here

Cheers
    Dave
    Last edited by Data; 11-15-2008 at 08:24 AM.

Flashaholic*

Might there be a 'basic' model, minimum size, with just a threaded 1/4-20 hole for tripod attachment, and perhaps a slot to slide a strap through? That would cover 99% of my needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudi View Post
    Might there be a 'basic' model, minimum size, with just a threaded 1/4-20 hole for tripod attachment, and perhaps a slot to slide a strap through? That would cover 99% of my needs.
    The basic model is almost complete. It is as you asked for, very minimalistic. Also it is aluminum, you can cut it, drill it, polish it and anodize it anyway you want.

The basic model is almost complete. It is as you asked for, very minimalistic. Also it is aluminum, you can cut it, drill it, polish it and anodize it anyway you want.

Flashaholic*

Sounds perfect!

Mike finished machining the GP adapter parts. He just needs to deburr them. I will need to finish the prototype press to put the PEM bolts into them and assemble them.

I used a very high end SS PEM bolt, thumb screw and lock nut. The thumb screw is for a static application and the lock nut will hold it securely if it is subjected to vibration like on a bike. Don't forget to tether the light.

Looks like it should be this week. The price will be $89 each and that includes the PayPal fees. I do not know what shipping is yet but you could of course send me an SASE with your check. The adapter weighs ~10g.

Cheers
    Dave

I wish I could afford a BarnBurner!

Cage goes in the water, you go in the water. Shark's in the water..... Our shark.

Thanks Dave,
    I don't think I realized the scale.
    So if I understand the width of the red plain is aprox 1.8mm/0.07"?.

If that is the case then I understand and am still anxious..
    I'll have to see if I can find time for the SASE.

Thanks
    X/BillyD..

BillyD, you are correct there is only ~.07" of surface on the bottom of the light for the red plane to contact.

I know only a few will want the GP blocks. So the rail was designed to be there but not in the way, certainly not sticking out at all. So it blends into the shape of the bottom curvature in an unobtrusive way. That left only a very small amount of material to work with, turned out OK in spite of that.

The GP block holds really tight and unless you anodize it, it will not mark the bottom of the light in any way.

Cheers
    Dave

Thanks Dave,
    I will be interested for sure.

Lookin Good..
    X/BillyD..

Flashaholic

any updates?

I am sorry guys, they are just setting here. I will get to them very shortly and get them assembled.

Cheers
    Dave

Flashaholic*

What does "GP" stand for ? General Purpose ?

Are they assembled and ready for sale ?
    Chris

Chris,

I call it a general purpose adapter because it is intended to be used for many different applications. It is a means for you to attach the light to something or something to the light. That "something" is all up to you. It is bare aluminum and I invite people to mod it into what they want.

By itself, the GP adapter block is great for mounting the 007 on a tripod. However, beyond that, you will have to be the designer and builder of its ultimate use.

I will post a sales thread on Wednesday. The price is already set at $89.00 plus shipping. There should be plenty to go around and Mike will make more if they sell out (doubtful).

Cheers
    Dave

Mag-base concept. Holes are sized for .5" diameter magnets .25" long. Magnets to be set in with epoxy. The mag base attaches to the standard GPA (see previous post for GPA sales thread).

Cheers
    Dave

I like it.

LOL, looks like a T-Handle to be able to use the SPY007 as a Self-Defense weapon.
    Small: MJP Extreme III Orb Raw Ti and NS
    Medium: Oveready Triple Copper E2e
    MJP-E3e (15-3Ostar) Surefire L4 (MC-E) LensLight Mini
    Large: Surefire M6-WA1185 M-Zep MZXR-7a