Gerber Artifact Pocket Keychain Tool

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's just released, don't think anybody has one yet.

In fact this is the first time I saw anybody has them for sale.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I like it. But I'd like to see it next to a ruler or quarter for size comparison. A version without the retractable blade would be nice.

Now that they are wildly popular, and expensive, I just can't justify spending the sort of money an Atwood tool commands nowadays. But this Gerber could be a nice, less expensive option. I just hope the steel is not too soft.

fresnorich

Newly Enlightened
I just ordered two of these from Amazon. I'll try to post something after I receive them in a week or so.

RadarGreg

Enlightened
I ordered two from KnifeCenter, but they are out of stock. Maybe in a couple days they will replenish and ship mine. I'm liking the idea that you can take the blade out and carry it around with just the basic tool. That might be a way to avoid hassles from TSA or countries with hyper-sensitive knife laws.

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ordered two from KnifeCenter, but they are out of stock. Maybe in a couple days they will replenish and ship mine. I'm liking the idea that you can take the blade out and carry it around with just the basic tool. That might be a way to avoid hassles from TSA or countries with hyper-sensitive knife laws.
Good idea.

Could anything else go in that slot?

fresnorich

Newly Enlightened
I received the two Gerber Artifacts that I ordered from Amazon.com
IMG_1055.jpg

and I've been carrying one of them for a couple days now,
IMG_1042.jpg

mostly while connected to my Fenix E01.

It fits my hand well,

and it is nice and slim.

The blade lock works nicely,

and the "cross driver" works okay with some screw sizes, but it could use a bit more bite for others.
IMG_1049.jpg

It comes with a few extra blades, and it's comfortable to hold and work with when opened.

I haven't had a chance to use the pry bar/wire stripper or the bottle opener (unfortunately), but it feels like a very solid little tool.

I did notice that the torx screws aren't perfectly flush with the blade lock, and on the back side of the tool one of the screw rivots is flush with the tool, while the other is slightly indented.

Also, the finish on the plastic thumbrest for the blade is already wearing from contact with the E01.

Opening the blade one handed takes very little practice, although I did nearly cut myself on my first attempt.

Overall, I think so far, I'm very happy with this tool, especially for the money. This is my first tool of this nature and it does leave me sort of wanting an Atwood, but I think I'll carry this one for awhile and see how much use I can get out of it before I spring for something much more expensive.

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Sweet pics. Is the blade difficult to remove completely from the tool?

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got it last week from Amazon. For the price, you can't really go wrong. The only thing about it is the prybar tip is supposed to serve as two different flat head screwdrivers, but they don't work that well ... they're too thick (at least for mine). I may have to strip the coating to get it to work.