WHOA this is better than google maps and its a bit more recent with satelite

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
live local map

stumbled on this and my house has my car from last year as google doesnt, i no longer have that car but its pretty recent....and the view is so close and crystal clear ....go to your house and then go to BIRDS EYE VIEW , i also installed the free 3d its awesome, gonna find some beaches :twothumbs :crackup: also the birds eye view has all 360 angles to see all sides of your house, that scary satellite tech or many millions of helicopter hours

Last edited:

Kevin K

Newly Enlightened
Click on "Aerial" , keep zooming in and moving the map around. I found my house in a couple minutes.

flashlite

Enlightened
I found this just a few weeks ago. I think the photos in my area were taken just last spring during a weekend. I can actually see my car pulling out of my neighborhood. When I checked over at my dad's house, I can see my car parked in his driveway. I know it was spring because there's still a small pile of mulch left in my driveway. Pretty amazing.

Last edited:

daBear

Enlightened
Birds eye does not work in all areas of the country. Guess the photos haven't been taken yet. What I did not like is the Birdseye is available on military installations. That should be a no go.

flashlite

Enlightened
Birds eye does not work in all areas of the country. Guess the photos haven't been taken yet. What I did not like is the Birdseye is available on military installations. That should be a no go.

Bird's Eye view doesn't seem to be available at Area 51 in Nevada, although Google Maps gets in very close. Close enough to be able to make out cars and a few airplanes. Google maps also allows "Street View" in a few places. Very neat! I was able to re-live a vacation that I took in San Fran. a few years ago.

Last edited:

craig333

Newly Enlightened
Can't see the marijuana in my neighbors backyard. Looks a couple years out of date. I can tell its pre my new roof.

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
The pics are about 2 years old or more, I just saw my old Minivan parked at work (Sold it 2 years ago).

AlexGT

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
its about a year for me, i see my new neighbors cars who recently moved in

Canuke

Enlightened
I can't tell what is going on. Maps.live.com shows a new commercial subdivision just down the road from my house that has been under construction since I moved in, cleared to the dirt and the beginnings of the building foundations are just visible. It also shows the tree in my backyard that fell apart over the end of last year, exposing the spa to the sky.

Go to Google Earth, and that dying tree is gone, the spa top is visible -- but the development is now a grass field. :thinking: If there's an image seam, I can't find it, the lighting and shadows all match.

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just a note since it hasn't been mentioned yet...

Live is Microsoft's answer to Google. If you go to the main page at www.live.com you can see the effort's direct reflection of Google's homepage and all the projects. As such, you can expect that if it works for Google then Microsoft will probably copy it. In some cases MS takes the Google projects a few steps further before Google does. My recollection is that MS's Bird's Eye View came out before Google's non-satellite closeups, but I could be wrong.

We get to see the cool results of the heated competition!

Last edited:

Burgess

Flashaholic
This is VERY neat ! ! !

Thank you for sharing it with us !

:twothumbs

_

herbicide

Newly Enlightened
Flashearth is great - it combines loads of satellite mapping apps - Google, Microsoft, Yahoo, Ask, Openlayers and NASA on one site.

You don't get the fancy 3D stuff of Live, but it's easier to find the newest imagery.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Man, I'm shocked to see this level of detail over Electric Boat and the U.S. Submarine base in Groton, CT. I already have seen several top secret items, having worked at that base.

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
The maps for our area were taken sometime in the spring of 2007. I base that on the fact that there are no leaves on the trees, no snow on the ground, our 2007 Subaru is in the driveway (bought on 12-31-06), and the swingset we put up in the back yard in summer of 2007 was not there yet. Surprisingly detailed, I can see definite pros and cons to this level of resolution available to anyone, but this is the world we now live in.

e2x2e

Enlightened
FlashEarth is really up to date near where I live, with Microsoft VE aerial.