***Aluminum E Series heads & tubes/tails***TnC EDC-Flex Interest/Sales Thread***

Bogus1

Flashlight Enthusiast
***Partially updated 2/25/10***

TnC has begun an E Series project, the new EDC-Flex Series. We are providing very small runs of aluminum parts to parallel the Ti parts we are offering as well. These Ti parts (head and tubes/tails) have been discussed in our Titanium Aleph & E Series compatible heads/tubes/tails**Announcing TnC Ti EDC-Flex**The first post with details and pricing (for Ti) is listed here, and the general interest list is here on the 12th post.

The 20mm EDC-Flex bare and NAT anodized aluminum heads sell for $67 and are available now. Only 10x of these 20mm heads have been machined. The 19mm heads will be ready for shipping next week. These 19mm, 20mm, 27mm short, 27mm long, and 38mm heads heads do not include LEs or canisters. We are not selling canisters yet. This price is for an empty head with a crenulated bezel. McR reflectors without lenses are $18 extra. UCLs are $10. Sapphire lenses and McR reflectors are $40 extra. Pictures are below.

The 27mm EDC-Flex NAT anodized heads sell for $99. These 27mm heads do not include LEs or canisters. The $99 is for an empty head with a crenulated bezel. These are one-off one of a kind heads. Reflectors and UCL lenses are $30. I have a short supply on hand for both. Reflectors separately are $20 and mineral lenses (non UCLs) are $5. Pictures are below.

Shipping is $3 First Class CONUS, or $6 Priority CONUS, both with delivery confirmation. International is $6 First Class and $15 Priority Mail. For those on the list please post once you have sent paypal. Please include details in your paypal including CPF name. Please send cash paypal only to catsndog AT inreach DOT COM Cash paypal means either from a paypal balance and/or bank account. For Credit Card paypal please send to Bogus1cc AT earthlink DOT NET

Below is a picture of a V1 EDC-Flex bare aluminum head on the left and a V3 head on the right.

Again but HA NAT anodized.

Below is the sales list for the remaining EDC-Flex aluminum 20mm E Series heads/with crenulated bezels.

V1 20mm

1. bare
2. bare
3. NAT SOLD
4. NAT SOLD
5. NAT SOLD

V3 20mm

1. Bare
2. Bare
3. NAT SOLD
4. NAT SOLD
5. NAT

Below are the pictures of the TnC EDC-Flex 27mm E Series compatible heads. These are all NAT HA. The picture to the left below is of the 27L v5 and to the right is the 27L v3.

Below on the left is the 27L v6 and on the right the 27 short v6. The anodizing on the v6 short has a matte finish.

Below on the left is the v3 short and on the right the v5 short. The v5 short has a matte anodized finish.

1. 27L NAT v3 SALE PENDING
2. 27L NAT v3
3. 27L NAT v5
4. 27L NAT v6 SOLD
5. 27L NAT v6
6. 27 short NAT v3
7. 27 short NAT v5
8. 27 short NAT v6

Below are drawings of the 38mm EDC-Flex heads (without bezel). There are very few reflectors available for these heads. The rest (if these are built) can be purchased as empty heads (including 0-rings and bezels), or with lenses and/or with heat sinks for customs multi LED setups.

We have sourced UCL lenses for these heads that match the lenses to the A3 Aleph specs. so folks can order these lenses as well for use in their existing heads.

38mmhead4de8.jpg

38mmhead3tr7.jpg

For those who want the most in capacity the TnC C-Flex aluminum AW C Li-ion tubes and E Series adaptors are already available on FS *C-Flex* C Li-ion battery Tubes, Extenders & Adaptors for E & C Series, TnC & Bulk and TnC C-Flex on the TnC online store.

EDIT: If there is interest in the future we will build TnC E Series compatible Canisters (LEs). When that happens we will seek input. Folks have asked us to focus our offering so we will start a specific thread just for Canisters in the future.

Last edited:

Stillphoto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: ***Aluminum E Series heads & tubes/tails***TnC EDC-Flex Interest/Sales Thread***

Certainly also interested in a seoul /cree LE with a either a single or multi level driver.

Waiting to find out about non sapphire options other than mineral...standing by.

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: ***Aluminum E Series heads & tubes/tails***TnC EDC-Flex Interest/Sales Thread***

are you going to anodize this?? I would be interested in a V3 if anodized..

Last edited:

Bogus1

Flashlight Enthusiast

I guess the short answer it yes.

But if you take a look at this process you'll see why custom builders are shying away from anodizing. These aluminum parts came off the machine the same time as the Ti parts. You can have all your Ti parts sold by the time the aluminum parts are just shipped to the platers! Then it can be months before the platers are done and that's if you don't have to send the parts back to have the work redone. Also really small runs such as 10x parts of Ti don't have the additional expense of meeting the minimum set up fees etc. at the platers. If you plate 100x parts it might be $1 a part if there is no masking. With 10x parts the pricing would cost $10 a part. Of course that's for a single anodizing color. If you wanted two colors it would be $20 a part.

That's also one reason there is EN plated parts or even gold plating. There isn't as much masking and turn around can be quicker from our experience. Then to complicate things our nice shiny anodizers are harder to deal with and slower than our anodizers who make a duller finish. However the guys doing the dull finish also have the OD (Olive Drab) which is nice.

So you see one reason anodized parts and aluminum in general seem to be going by the way-side in custom flashlights. Another reason seems to be buyers aren't supporting custom aluminum lights like they used to. I personally still like it and wold like to see parts such as the V3 head in anodizing, so there will be some that will get plated.

Anyhow, asking for anodizing or plating isn't enough. Please post interest between the options below. Maybe a first, second or third choice might be helpful so we can get enough parts together for a run to the platers. We might be able to combine the parts with other parts we are building as well. Regardless it will cost more than these bare aluminum prices I've quoted. In the meantime I'll leave this sales thread open for those who might want unique bare aluminum parts or who have their own options for plating. I'll make sure these choices are listed on the first post.

1. Black-HA
2. NAT
3. Olive Drab
4. EN (Nickel)
5. Gold

Thanks for your interest

Last edited:

Stillphoto

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for laying down the anodizing info.

Personally, I'm not into gold or EN...but I understand the benefits of not having to have them masked since both are conductive. That said if it was going to be one of those, I'd go EN.

As far as anodizing goes, I'm game for anything, although I'm more partial to olive and black than natural. I'll go for whatever wins the popularity contest.

Bogus1

Flashlight Enthusiast

Certainly also interested in a seoul /cree LE with a either a single or multi level driver.

Waiting to find out about non sapphire options other than mineral...standing by.

In a few days I will have UCLs for these. I've updated the first post.

DrunkenDonut

Newly Enlightened

Have any decisions regarding ano/plating been made? To me, options 1, 2, and 4 look interesting, in no particular order. How about a Black-EN?

I'm also curious to know, what's with the 1mm difference between the 19mm and 20mm? What are the benefits? Is it to fit certain specific parts? :shrug:

Bogus1

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well so far we have mostly interest in anodizing NAT. Icarus alone puts the total at 10x pcs. Unless we see interest in something like 50 parts for anodizing, it doesn't make a lot of sense to run off more than one color because there won't be any real economy of scale.

The 20mm head is the same OD basically as the 19mm head, but it has a shorter reflector with more spill. The 19mm has a more focused narrow beam due to the long 19mm McR reflectors. The 20mm will work with Seoul and Luxeon, whereas the 19mm head will also work with Cree LEDs.

DrunkenDonut

Newly Enlightened

I'll take a 20mm V3 with McR+sapphire.
PP on the way.

Edit: I'm interested in a 38mm with lens and heatsink as well.

Last edited:

Bogus1

Flashlight Enthusiast

As an update I'm going to send out 3x V1 and 2x V3 20mm heads for Black HA with some other parts. They should be back in a few weeks. At that time I should have some black and bare 19mm (XR) V1 and V3 heads as well.

Stillphoto

Flashlight Enthusiast

So forgive me for not being up to speed on TnC's system, but so far we have the heads and bodies, reflectors and lenses, but no actual light engine correct/led holder?

And said holders are considerably different than say, the sandwich shoppe's screw in cans?

I'm just trying to figure out every aspect of the light before I start picking it all up.

Bogus1

Flashlight Enthusiast

So forgive me for not being up to speed on TnC's system, but so far we have the heads and bodies, reflectors and lenses, but no actual light engine correct/led holder?

And said holders are considerably different than say, the sandwich shoppe's screw in cans?

I'm just trying to figure out every aspect of the light before I start picking it all up.

The E Series canister design we plan to offer is fully compatible with the Aleph Light Engines sold in the Shoppe. Aleph LEs fit in the heads and tubes we are building.

Illumination

Flashlight Enthusiast

EDIT: If there is interest in the future we will build TnC E Series compatible Canisters (LEs). When that happens we will seek input on the following below. Folks have asked us to focus our offering so we will start a specific thread just for Canisters in the future.

LED
Seoul
Cree
K2
Rebel
(depending on availability other LEDs may come into play)
DIY kit with or without LED

Driver
Piglets (original buck boost multi level driver if available)
FLuPICs
I can source other drivers as needed or sell as DIY kits with/without drivers

Like at least one of the other posters on your board, I am looking to fit out a McClicky Mule. If you build a 2-3 level light engine (Seoul or Cree) in the $100 range that I could use, I'd be very interested. I can provide more detail on the new thread you referenced.

And I love these new light styles...hoping to assemble one in either AL or TI!

Bogus1

Flashlight Enthusiast

Like at least one of the other posters on your board, I am looking to fit out a McClicky Mule. If you build a 2-3 level light engine (Seoul or Cree) in the $100 range that I could use, I'd be very interested. I can provide more detail on the new thread you referenced.

And I love these new light styles...hoping to assemble one in either AL or TI!

We are finishing machining some cans now for this. The Cree cans will fit without the need for centering rings or other make shift fixes that appear to be necessary with some of the existing setups as well. The price should be in the $100 range for the functions you suggest.

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast

Put me down for one black HA 38mm head with reflector and lens.
Any idea when there will be a run for these ???

Bogus1

Flashlight Enthusiast

The main hold up will be the lenses. I ordered them but at this point those might be 10 weeks away. In the mean time we are selling the 19, 20 and 27mm heads in other threads. Most of the aluminum heads are still in process and haven't been listed yet. We are also building Ti and Aluminum Cr123 as well as 18650 tubes listed in other EDC-Flex threads. Thanks for your interest.

Cowley

Newly Enlightened

I'm Interested in a E-series compatible 38 mm head with the DIY kit also.

Thanks for the consideration. Cowley

DrunkenDonut

Newly Enlightened

Just to clarify my earlier Al 38mm interest is also with DIY kit. I don't think I mentioned it before.

Ducaticorse

Newly Enlightened

I would be interested in (pending pricing info as it develops):

Aluminum 18650 EDC-Flex E-Series compatible tube with:
-Integrated switch
-Wide Tailguard with multiple Trit Slots
-Lobed/Anti-Roll finger grip
-Clip, no lanyard holes

Finish: Raw aluminum or EN

GLOCK18

Enlightened

Plus 1 on the 38MM in Aluminum.